General Student Debt Forgiveness

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
My thought - You signed the loan. If you aren't smart enough to understand the language and what you are committing to you probably aren't college material anyway.
you borrow money you pay it back.

This is blindly buying into the neoliberal mantra of market skills and financialization of your everyday life. If big business makes a bad deal, they run to the government and use your money to bail them out; if you do a bad deal, it’s fuck you, pay us + interest.

They tell you it’s your responsability to build your finances and encourage you to borrow money. Then they drain your real wage and make sure you can’t pay it back so they get you locked for life. it’s got nothing to do with free market and economics.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
If big business makes a bad deal, they run to the government and use your money to bail them out
Which I also don't agree with.
Run a business correctly or get out of the way for someone who can.

It's a little different because the stakes are higher - closing companies can have a huge ripple effect on the economy and individual workers.

But that's not really an apples to apples comparison anyway.

The system definitely needs fixed, but if you sign a loan...you pay it off.

This will likely be an initiative during the Biden administration.

My thought - You signed the loan. If you aren't smart enough to understand the language and what you are committing to you probably aren't college material anyway.

But logic is largely vacant in DC, so let's assume it becomes a thing. What happens to the students who honored their commitment? Do they get reimbursed? How far back do we make them whole? 5 years? 10? More?

What about the folks who elected to not attend college because the price was too high and they didn't want to be tied to a huge loan? Do we compensate them for the missed opportunity? While they don't have a huge debt to pay off, it can be argued they are now at a disadvantage because they don't have the education. Should they be "punished" for making a smart economical decision?

How many kids are entering college now with zero concern about paying off the debt because of all the "forgiveness" talk?

What a mess.
They will never go through with it. The lobbiest for all the College's will make sure of that. The best he can do is cut your student loan in half. That's the best we can do.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
They will never go through with it. The lobbiest for all the College's will make sure of that. The best he can do is cut your student loan in half. That's the best we can do.

Well...the best we can do is stop the narrative that everyone needs to go to college to have success, and for those that do decide to go to college we should make it affordable enough that they don't have to spend half their lives digging out from the loans.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Well...the best we can do is stop the narrative that everyone needs to go to college to have success, and for those that do decide to go to college we should make it affordable enough that they don't have to spend half their lives digging out from the loans.
Guidance counselors have single handedly destroyed the American economy.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Guidance counselors have single handedly destroyed the American economy.
It's interesting how certain jobs were labeled as demeaning in society. And those jobs were generally the ones that didn't require a degree.

Like...what's wrong with being an electrician? I have 2 friends who are electricians. They own their own business and do very well for themselves.

There is a huge void developing in our society for available tradesmen - and it's only going to get worse.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
It's interesting how certain jobs were labeled as demeaning in society. And those jobs were generally the ones that didn't require a degree.

Like...what's wrong with being an electrician? I have 2 friends who are electricians. They own their own business and do very well for themselves.

There is a huge void developing in our society for available tradesmen - and it's only going to get worse.
I agree.

I work in the trucking industry and we are loosing a lot of older drivers and do not have enough younger drivers to replace them with. My company is paying for people to get their license and then starting new drivers out at $28 and hour plus $0.50 every mile.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I work in the trucking industry and we are loosing a lot of older drivers and do not have enough younger drivers to replace them with. My company is paying for people to get their license and then starting new drivers out at $28 and hour plus $0.50 every mile.
Whats that come out to a year? Cross country or local?

Whats that come out to a year? Cross country or local?
We do both City driver's where at the most you work 10 hours, then line haul where you have 1 stop and then back home. But starting out I think you could average 60,000 to 70,000 a year. My math is atrocious by the way so I might need double checked on that.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
That's a pretty aggressive rate - for around here anyway.

Did you have to raise your offerings during Covid in an attempt to snipe workers and/or entice people to get off the government's stimulus tit or is that a typical rate for drivers where you are?

That's a pretty aggressive rate - for around here anyway.

Did you have to raise your offerings during Covid in an attempt to snipe workers and/or entice people to get off the government's stimulus tit or is that a typical rate for drivers where you are?
I'm in the mid-west but yeah we had to go that aggressive to compete with other companies similar to us.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I'm in the mid-west but yeah we had to go that aggressive to compete with other companies similar to us.
Thats pretty good starting pay in the midwest, and without a large college debt that money will go further.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I'm so baffled by the reports of people being out of work. Literally every business around here is hiring. Even restaurants and bars.

I know I'm only seeing the reality for what's in my immediate area, but these stimulus payments are nationwide and the extra "stay on your couch" weekly unemployment bennies are crushing businesses just as much as the original Covid closures did.

We've had to increase starting pay by 25% and still aren't getting takers. I'm happy to pay the guys that rate, but make no mistake - prices for the end users are going up.

I'm so baffled by the reports of people being out of work. Literally every business around here is hiring. Even restaurants and bars.

I know I'm only seeing the reality for what's in my immediate area, but these stimulus payments are nationwide and the extra "stay on your couch" weekly unemployment bennies are crushing businesses just as much as the original Covid closures did.

We've had to increase starting pay by 25% and still aren't getting takers. I'm happy to pay the guys that rate, but make no mistake - prices for the end users are going up.
Yeah, we are hurting for drivers and dock worker's. Our dock workers are starting at $19 for part time and $22 an hour for full time. I'm a diesel mechanic and we're having trouble finding mechanics as well.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
This is blindly buying into the neoliberal mantra of market skills and financialization of your everyday life. If big business makes a bad deal, they run to the government and use your money to bail them out; if you do a bad deal, it’s fuck you, pay us + interest.

They tell you it’s your responsability to build your finances and encourage you to borrow money. Then they drain your real wage and make sure you can’t pay it back so they get you locked for life. it’s got nothing to do with free market and economics.
The average person did not think large corporations deserved bailouts. American regulation of student loans is what created this problem Filthy @Filthy was right on the money.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

i agree it has nothing to do with free markets and economics, but I think the solution is to not bail out businesses or people who enter in to business deals that don't work out the way they wanted.

My philosophy towards education was always that if you and the degree are worth it, someone will pay you to get the degree.
I have multiple degrees, and didn't pay a nickel for tuition, books, parking, etc. I showed I was worth the investment, and they paid me to get the degree that we agreed I needed. It wasn't easy, but it was cheap and valuable.

i agree it has nothing to do with free markets and economics, but I think the solution is to not bail out businesses or people who enter in to business deals that don't work out the way they wanted.

My philosophy towards education was always that if you and the degree are worth it, someone will pay you to get the degree.
I have multiple degrees, and didn't pay a nickel for tuition, books, parking, etc. I showed I was worth the investment, and they paid me to get the degree that we agreed I needed. It wasn't easy, but it was cheap and valuable.
That's a great point. My job is paying for me to go to Ivy Tech to get a degree in logistics.

M

member 1013

Pussies like @conor mcgregor nut hugger would rayher make $25,000 a year as a barista than 70,000 as a skilled tradesman.

M

member 3289

Knew this was bullshit when you said you had two friends.

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
My friend just did this here in FL. He is driving all over the country, but he said he will wind up making $80-90K. Big jump from $35K or so in retail.