General Study: Alcohol and Nicotine prevent sleep not Coffee...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
sensationalism

Effect of caffeine on sleep: EEG study in late middle age people

1 The effect of caffeine alkaloid base (300 mg) on whole night sleep was investigated by electrophysiological techniques in six late middle age subjects (mean age 56 years), comparison being made with decaffeinated coffee and with no drink prior to sleep, using each condition five times in a balanced order on non-consecutive nights.

2 After caffeine the mean total sleep time decreased on average by 2 h, the mean sleep latency increased to 66 minutes. The number of awakenings increased and the mean total intervening wakefulness was more than doubled after caffeine.

3 In the first 3 h of sleep a decreased amount of stage 3 + 4 was observed, accompanied by an increased amount of stage 2 and of intervening wakefulness, without a significant change in the amount of rapid eye movement sleep.

4 The change in sleep pattern observed suggests an increased capability for arousal and decreased ability to develop or sustain deeper stages of non-rapid eye movement sleep after caffeine.
Caffeine reduces low-frequency delta activity in the human sleep EEG - ScienceDirect

In view of the hypothesis that adenosine is involved in sleep regulation, the effects of the adenosine antagonist caffeine on sleep and sleep EEG were investigated in eight young males. Compared to the placebo condition, caffeine (100 mg) administered at bedtime prolonged sleep latency and reduced sleep efficiency and stage 4 of non-rapid eye movement sleep (NREMS). Electroencephalographic slow-wave activity (SWA, spectral power density in the 0.75–4.5-Hz band) was reduced, whereas power density in the spindle frequency range was slightly enhanced. The suppression of SWA was limited to the first NREMS episode. Caffeine reduced the power density mainly in the lowest delta band, in contrast to the changes during physiological sleep that encompass both the delta and theta bands. Caffeine levels in saliva, assessed in a separate experiment, decreased from 7.5 μmol/l in the first hour of sleep to 3.5 μmol/l in the seventh hour. In the night following caffeine administration, stage 4 sleep had reverted to the baseline level, but sleep latency was still increased, and stage 2 sleep, as well as SWA in the first NREMS episode, were reduced. The data show that even a low dose of caffeine affects the sleep EEG. However, the effects of caffeine did not completely mimic the spectral changes observed during physiological sleep.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
yeah alcohol affects sleep quality it is one of the things I learned from going sober. you sleep better when you quit drinking because the booze was changing the way your brain works. the sleep you get on booze is a shittier quality

T

The Big Guy

That doesnt make any sense. Ive heard Wild @Wild sleeps for around 24 hours after he drinks a bottle of rye in the shed with his favorite goat

Thats why fight threads dont go live

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
yeah alcohol affects sleep quality it is one of the things I learned from going sober. you sleep better when you quit drinking because the booze was changing the way your brain works. the sleep you get on booze is a shittier quality
yes
I feel this also
High power cannabis also messes up the sleep cycle a bit

I have completely sober sleep
cannabis + booze sleep
booze sleep

sober sleep is the best...feel so damn fresh in the morning

CBD and nothing else gives amazing sleep also...I think it is THC that messes up the REM cycles

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
yes
I feel this also
High power cannabis also messes up the sleep cycle a bit

I have completely sober sleep
cannabis + booze sleep
booze sleep

sober sleep is the best...feel so damn fresh in the morning

CBD and nothing else gives amazing sleep also...I think it is THC that messes up the REM cycles
Yeah, I fall asleep well on weed, but don’t feel rested. I sleep like shit any time I drink.

I’m currently taking a break from drinking. Trying to recalibrate. I’m 18 days in and not yet sure if this will be temporary or an attempt at forever. I have noticed that even getting less sober sleep is way better than any amount of sleep after drinking. I feel way more energized and rested. That helps with everything else for me: anxiety/depression, motivation, mood, energy, etc.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Yeah, I fall asleep well on weed, but don’t feel rested. I sleep like shit any time I drink.

I’m currently taking a break from drinking. Trying to recalibrate. I’m 18 days in and not yet sure if this will be temporary or an attempt at forever. I have noticed that even getting less sober sleep is way better than any amount of sleep after drinking. I feel way more energized and rested. That helps with everything else for me: anxiety/depression, motivation, mood, energy, etc.
it is poison after all

It can be fun but the body works better without

Sleep and Water are the most important constant needs in Life IMO

Calories also but you can go longer without them

A Great night of sleep is vastly underrated

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
CBD low THC edible might be the ticket
Thc for nerve pain, cbd for inflammation

if you don’t have any of those, then high CBN is the way to go

After decarboxylate process (turns thc acid and cbd acid into actual thc and cbd) simmering in low-heat for longer period produces more CBN

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Thc for nerve pain, cbd for inflammation

if you don’t have any of those, then high CBN is the way to go

After decarboxylate process (turns thc acid and cbd acid into actual thc and cbd) simmering in low-heat for longer period produces more CBN
yep I used to make knockout heavy edibles

realized later they were high in CBN due to my process

good night sweet prince

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
decades ago, an old USAF doctor told me to drink a cup of hot coffee right before I took a nap.
I was working on a crazy deployment schedule, had to sleep when I could.

basically doubled the power of my nap and I didn't wake up groggy or grumpy.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
It’s amazing to think how harmful Alcohol is to the human body in many different ways, yet it is pushed everywhere you turn, from Radio, Music, TV, Commercials, Movies, sporting events....

For those hooked trying to get sober it’s a real battle to break free because they are constantly being bombarded with the promotion of Alcohol use.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
It’s amazing to think how harmful Alcohol is to the human body in many different ways, yet it is pushed everywhere you turn, from Radio, Music, TV, Commercials, Movies, sporting events....

For those hooked trying to get sober it’s a real battle to break free because they are constantly being bombarded with the promotion of Alcohol use.
it pretty much affects every organ your body,you can buy unlimited amounts of it if you have the money . at every corner.

even if you only have like 7 bucks you can still buy like 6-25 oz hurricanes or almost a fifth of cheap booze or a big ass jug of wine maybe a 12 pk of rolling rock ,natty ice.