Sci/Tech Study: Electrical pulses return memories of Alzheimer’s patients to someone in their 20s

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 1013

Study: Electrical pulses return memories of Alzheimer’s patients to someone in their 20s

The memory of older people has been returned to the state of someone in their 20s for the first time by applying electrical stimulation to the brain to reconnect faulty circuits. Scientists at Boston University have proven it is possible to restore working memory by “recoupling” areas of the brain that become out-of-sync as people grow older.

Short-term working memory is crucial for everyday life, storing information for around 10-15 seconds to allow problem solving, reasoning, planning and decision making; for example, keeping the digits of a telephone number in mind while writing it down.

Sometimes described as being “mentally online”, working memory forms the basis of consciousness, but declines with age and is the reason elderly people can struggle with basic tasks.

Now scientists believe they have uncovered what causes the decline and how to reverse it.

Two areas in the brain, the prefrontal and temporal cortex must be talking to each other correctly for working memory to function well.

When scientists fired electrical currents of the same frequency at the areas, older people were found to be able to carry out working memory tasks as well as people in their 20s.

M

member 1013

I have a family history of Alzheimer’s, I’ve been hit in the head a shit ton between football and combat sports, and I’ve done a lot of drugs. My doctors say I will most likely get early onset dementia. This is encouraging.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I have a family history of Alzheimer’s, I’ve been hit in the head a shit time between football and combat sports, and I’ve done a lot of drugs. My doctors say I will most likely get early onset dementia. This is encouraging.
I enjoyed dishing out concussions as well during my life as a Footballer
lets enjoy the moment brother

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I have a family history of Alzheimer’s, I’ve been hit in the head a shit time between football and combat sports, and I’ve done a lot of drugs. My doctors say I will most likely get early onset dementia. This is encouraging.
that is rough. I only have to worry about diabetes,alcoholism and a history of sudden fatal heart attacks at around age 60 lol those things might kill me in my bloodline.

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
I have a family history of Alzheimer’s, I’ve been hit in the head a shit ton between football and combat sports, and I’ve done a lot of drugs. My doctors say I will most likely get early onset dementia. This is encouraging.
Who are you again?

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
I found video of you taking those hard shots.