Study: Psilocybin Mushrooms Stimulate Growth Of New Brain Cells

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

Psychedelic mushrooms already have a reputation for helping people open their minds and broaden their perspective on the world. They have shown an ability to combat mental disorders like depression and anxiety. Now, research is showing that the magic mushrooms can actually help physically rebuild a damaged brain.

In a study conducted by the University of South Florida and published in 2013 in the Experimental Brain Research journal, researchers measured the effects of mushrooms on mice that had been conditioned to fear certain stimuli.

The results were striking: Not only could psilocybin, the main active ingredient in psychedelic mushrooms, help them get over their fear, it promoted cell growth and regeneration in their brains.

Psilocybin Mushrooms
Via: Atomazul

During the experiment, mice were exposed to an auditory tone while receiving an electric shock, training them to fear the noise even when the shock was not administered.

Mice that received low doses of psilocybin, however, were quickly able to shed their aversion to the tone, while mice that did not take the substance took longer to return to normal. “They stopped freezing; they lost their fear,” study co-author Dr. Juan Sanchez-Ramos said to Live Science.

What’s more, the psychedelic mice showed growth in new brain cells, perhaps erasing memories of the fear response. Researchers think that the psilocybin is binding to brain receptors that stimulate growth and healing, acting on the hippocampus, a small part of the brain that is essential to learning and forming memories. Since PTSD is thought to result from a similar response in which patients cannot separate a stimulus from a traumatic event, psilocybin could perhaps help them heal their brains just like it did for the mice.

“Memory, learning, and the ability to relearn that a once threatening stimuli is no longer a danger absolutely depends on the ability of the brain to alter its connections,” study leader Dr. Briony Catlow of the Lieber Institute for Brain Development said to Real Clear Science. “We believe that neuroplasticity plays a critical role in psilocybin accelerating fear extinction.”

“It is highly possible that in the future we will continue these studies since many interesting questions have come up from these experiments,” Catlow said. “The hope is that we can extend the findings to humans in clinical trials.”

Psychedelics work, in part, by overriding the “default mode network” in the brain, which is thought to be responsible for wandering minds, self-criticism and an inability to focus on the outside world. Instead, the substances help people focus on living in the moment, similar to many Eastern meditation practices. That can also help with PTSD as well as other mental disorders like depression.

“People with depression have overactive default mode networks and so ruminate on themselves, on their inadequacies, on their badness, that they are worthless, that they have failed — to an extent that is sometimes delusional,” David Nutt, of the Imperial College London’s Neuropsychopharmacology Unit, said to Natural News. “[P]silocybin appears to block that activity and stops this obsessive rumination.”

The therapeutic value seems clear. “[Psilocybin] facilitates extinction of the classically conditioned fear response, and this, and similar agents, should be explored as potential treatments for post-traumatic stress disorder and related conditions,” the study concludes. However, despite its demonstrated success and unlimited potential, psilocybin is currently banned by the U.S. government, considered a drug of abuse with no medical value.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
On the flipside, it puts schizophrenia on a fast track for those with mental issues, even if those issues have not displayed large symptoms yet.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
On the flipside, it puts schizophrenia on a fast track for those with mental issues, even if those issues have not displayed large symptoms yet.
it can reveal the crazy or unstable parts of the Ego and the Mind...bummer but true

rare occurrence but definitely happens

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
what if those with such symptoms microdosed? would it be beneficial or harmful still?

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
what if those with such symptoms microdosed? would it be beneficial or harmful still?
No answer. Most people take mushrooms to trip. Personally, I wouldn't micro dose as I'm looking for a journey each time. I like going deep. Some may just want the more vibrant colors. I'm not one of them.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
No answer. Most people take mushrooms to trip. Personally, I wouldn't micro dose as I'm looking for a journey each time. I like going deep. Some may just want the more vibrant colors. I'm not one of them.
how much time off do you take from your last trip? to feel the same type

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
how much time off do you take from your last trip? to feel the same type
You can trip every 2 to 3 weeks if you don't have a problem with upping your dosages substantially, but realistically to clear your receptors properly you should wait a month. Usually I go a few months between trips.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
You can trip every 2 to 3 weeks if you don't have a problem with upping your dosages substantially, but realistically to clear your receptors properly you should wait a month. Usually I go a few months between trips.
Your thread has me tempted to give it a go.

Still confused about the legal status here in Canada. Apparently it's fine to buy spores/grow kits, and grow, and fresh mushrooms are okay but dried aren't? Not really getting clear info. So silly that they are illegal in the first place.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
it's only a trip if you bring something back.

:)

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015

Still confused about the legal status here in Canada. Apparently it's fine to buy spores/grow kits, and grow, and fresh mushrooms are okay but dried aren't? Not really getting clear info. So silly that they are illegal in the first place.
I would imagine Canadian law is similar to American law. Buying spores is legal for mycology research purposes, however they are illegal to grow. You are allowed to look at the spores under a microscope and that's about it. It's like websites that sell marijuana seeds as novelty items only.
Psychedelic mushrooms are illegal, whether fresh or dry. Fyi, fresh mushrooms are more potent, but people dry them because that is the only way to store them. You can dose a fresh mushroom, or a dry mushroom, but anywhere in between and you're risking a dose wayyyyyyy too high or wayyyytoo small because mushrooms are almost all water weight.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

If you try them start your night at a major sporting event and fill up on food ahead of time.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
Drugs are bad. Seeing who is posting in support of this they must also make you retarded.

If you want to he a druggie that's your problem, just stop trying to push your dope on everyone as being healthy.