Super Sage’s Broken Face

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
Sage Northcutt breaks silence on devastating injuries from ONE debut: ‘[Fractures] almost sliced the nerves all the way through’ in face
Guilherme CruzNov 8, 2019, 9:00am EST

Sage Northcutt (right) was on a three-fight winning streak when he left the UFC in 2018.
ONE Championship
Sage Northcutt’s ONE Championship debut couldn’t have gone any worse.

After leaving the UFC on a three-fight winning streak at welterweight and lightweight, the 23-year-old met Brazilian kickboxer veteran Cosmo Alexandre at 185 pounds and was knocked out in just 29 seconds.

Northcutt suffered extensive injuries in the fight, including eight fractures that required a nine-hour surgery in Singapore after this May debut.

In his first interview since that loss, Northcutt told MMA Fighting he still hasn’t been able to train.

“It’s been taking a while to heal up,” Northcutt said. “The main thing is my nerves in my face. When I had the injury with the breaks, they almost sliced the nerves all the way through, so my nerve feelings are coming back. I’m waiting for the doctors to give me the OK to come back, but as of now, I haven’t had any kind of MMA training for the last five or six months since my injury, since my fight.”

The ONE Championship star was concerned he could never get hit in the face again after such a serious injury. But he remained positive that everything would eventually work out.

“Obviously that’s a scary thought for anybody that would have the extent of the injury that I did,” Northcutt said. “But I’m always shooting for the best.”

Northcutt is hoping he’ll be medically cleared to train so he can get back into the gym “some time in the beginning of this next year.” As of yet, he has has no timetable for his next fight.

“I’m hoping it’s as soon as possible, because I’m super eager,” he said. “All I’ve been able to do is eat as healthy as I can. Just now I’ve been able to start working out a little bit with some weights and trying to stay in shape.”

Northcutt doesn’t regret fighting Alexandre at 185 pounds in Singapore. But he learned that competing at that weight was too much for him.

“Obviously I wish that my injury didn’t happen, and I wasn’t set back for five or six months without getting training and improving myself better,” he said. “I am going back down to 155, where I was undefeated,” Northcutt said. “I was 5-0 in the UFC previously at the weight class. I’ve been undefeated my whole career at that weight class, so I think that’s gonna help out. I was really in a weight class that was too big for me, 185, and I think that had part to do with it also.”

Northcutt’s plans could be complicated by ONE Championship’s emphasis on preventing extreme weight cuts. He won’t be able to dehydrate himself severely to hit the 155-pound mark.

“I started fighting at 155 when I was 18 or 19 years old,” he said. “I definitely have more muscles now, (and) I am gonna have to lose a little bit of muscle because muscle-mass-wise, if I think if I had zero percent body fat, zero all the water I can lose in my body, I would have a hard time making 155. I will have to lose some muscle.

continued

Sage Northcutt breaks silence on devastating injuries from ONE debut: ‘[Fractures] almost sliced the nerves all the way through’ in face

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
sage needs to find something else to do. he has a lot of options before him that dont involve getting your face smashed to pieces. he has to make a bundle off promotions on instagram . he never posts a pic without some kind of product in it. it wouldnt be much of a problem for him to pick up some acting work even if it is just karate kid type of shows. he is clearly never going to be one of the greats or a legend in MMA but he could pump out a bunch of good guy karate movies or something. hell even if he started some sage northcutt karate schools he would make a good living

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016
He couldn't have had a worse footwork decision there.

He went right away from the power then for some reason went left Towards the ropes not away like your supposed too.

And you can see that caused him to stumble a bit just before the right hand semi truck goes crashing into his face.

I agree with jason73 @jason73 the kid has better options other than damaging that beautiful face.. uh I mean just face.

He can do the PVZ and Ronda Route with way better success imo.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
sage needs to find something else to do. he has a lot of options before him that dont involve getting your face smashed to pieces. he has to make a bundle off promotions on instagram . he never posts a pic without some kind of product in it. it wouldnt be much of a problem for him to pick up some acting work even if it is just karate kid type of shows. he is clearly never going to be one of the greats or a legend in MMA but he could pump out a bunch of good guy karate movies or something. hell even if he started some sage northcutt karate schools he would make a good living
Why are you checking out his Instagram that hard? Toelocku @Toelocku gayness must be rubbing off on you

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
One punch that did that much damage. Nerves in his face all messed up. Yeah, I would think about another career path.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
One punch that did that much damage. Nerves in his face all messed up. Yeah, I would think about another career path.
post-MMA Sage would fall on hard times.

homo fagit

Writer, and adventurer
Jul 17, 2018
Didn't he use to compete in bodybuilding? He could make some dollars over there also

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
“Obviously I wish that my injury didn’t happen, and I wasn’t set back for five or six months without getting training and improving myself better,” he said. “I am going back down to 155, where I was undefeated,” Northcutt said. “I was 5-0 in the UFC previously at the weight class. I’ve been undefeated my whole career at that weight class, so I think that’s gonna help out. I was really in a weight class that was too big for me, 185, and I think that had part to do with it also.”
Plus fighting a legit kickboxer at that weight.
Plus fighting in a ring with no ring experience (this gave Mighty Mouse some problems also).
Plus circling toward the power hand in a ring like he was in a cage, but didn't have the room to do so.

Lots of adjustments to be made.