Superfoot on The Gracie UFC Conspiracy

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
if wrestler had won the first UFC, that probably would have been the last UFC.

Exposing JuJitsu was the right call imo, that made everyone up their game. Strikers up their ground games and ground defense and after, the grapplers had to up their striking game because the strikers figured out the ground game, and they both keep evolving, constantly

i don't think wrestling would have had the same impact for lack of finishing moves

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
no biting, no eye-gouging, no fish-hooking.

you were allowed to wrap your hands.
you were allowed to wear whatever uniform you wanted.

sure, Rorion didn't put a Ken Shultz in there...but we know what happened when Ken tried Rickson.
At that time, no one beat Royce under those rules.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
I can't be fucked watching that but everyone knows that the UFC was designed for Royce to win.

But the fact is Royce beat two future UFC champions. The people who could beat Royce who weren't fellow elite BJJers didn't really exist yet.

Royce is underrated somehow. He went 90 minutes with Sakuraba without being subbed at a time when Sakuraba was dominant against BJJ and he also beat the piss out of Yoshida. He wasn't the best grappler in the world but his skills held up against fellow grapplers, not just guys who didn't know what they were doing.

M

member 603

The UFC was created to showcase Gracie Jiu Jitsu in a style vs style fighting showcase.... All Rorion and Art Davie were doing, was taking those Gracie Challenge Matches (that had been happening for years) and bring it to a public forum. They chose Royce because he was the least intimidating looking of the lot (they wanted Rickson at first, but he'd already been dominating in Japan).

There was no "conspiracy", no favored matches, multiple people had a chance to win, everyone in the world of martial arts said that Royce would lose..... Bill saying "all Royce did was take them down and choke them".. at no point was this a stand up point karate competition.

I don't agree with everything the Gracie's have done, but if it wasn't for them, and Royce in those early UFC's... There would be no MMA here today, nor would BJJ/Sub Grappling be anywhere as popular/prevalent. These "Gracie haters" and guys who do this conspiracy theory bullshit about them REALLY piss me off.

Royce is a buddy, I'm proud to represent Team Royce Gracie in IBJJF competition, I disagree with some of his thoughts on competition.... But I'm appreciative of him and the family every time I get paid to teach the art, and see how much this sport has changed the lives of people for the better.