Society SVB Bank insolvency/collapse - Silicone Valley

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
oh shit

that will spur panic and test the actual cash the bank has

In reality our banks should be heavily armed and secured 24/7 and hold all of the cash invested in them so they can give it back to it's investors/bankers at any given time...the facade is being exposed
Looks like the libertarians were right.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Damn this could be black week.

If Microsoft News Network is creating panic...again...

Screenshot_20230311_205918.jpg

SVR with 30 TRILLION in derivatives.
Screenshot_20230311_210714.jpg

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
The top ten uh oh's:

First Republic Bank
Sandy Spring Bancorp, Inc.
New York Community Bancorp, Inc.
First Foundation, Inc.
Ally Financial, Inc.
Dime Community Bancshares, Inc.
Pacific Premier Bancorp, Inc.
Prosperity Bancshares, Inc.
Columbia Financial, Inc.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
The top ten uh oh's:

First Republic Bank
Sandy Spring Bancorp, Inc.
New York Community Bancorp, Inc.
First Foundation, Inc.
Ally Financial, Inc.
Dime Community Bancshares, Inc.
Pacific Premier Bancorp, Inc.
Prosperity Bancshares, Inc.
Columbia Financial, Inc.
How many banks does America have?

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I hope he stacks gold & silver, & not USDT stable coin, or Roku stock...or...
Sorry, I did fuking put this in the wrong thread
First time I’ve ever made a mistake
Thanks for making fun of me, it makes me feel really good about myself

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I would have pulled my money as well if they sent this to me, their priorities are all mucked up.
Emo Bank
1678594776548.png

Last edited:

Vae Victis

Mar 3, 2023
Its nice that those heads at SVB gave themselves nice fat bonuses before it all went to crap. Its almost like they knew what was coming. Whats that Steve Miller song, Take the Money and Run?

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
Are you telling me they didnt actually possess the 30 trillion customers see on paper/screen?
Hey Rambo

The 30 trillion number probably relates to a concept called notional value, which is not helpful in determining risk for a couple reasons

First off, it's just a number used as part of a calculation. It's not an IOU

Let's say you and I do a 1 trillion dollar vanilla interest rate swap (swaps this big don't exist. It's just an example)

In that swap, I pay you 1% every quarter (a fixed leg) and you pay me libor every quarter (a floating leg)

The amounts you or i owe each other are calculated based off the 1 trillion notional, but the 1 trillion never changed hands and never will. It's just a number that's used in the calculation of the pay and recieve legs of the swap

The second issue is that notional is not reflective of risk

As an example, if I do a 100 dollar swap with you, and the opposite 100 dollar swap with beard, then my market risk is actually 0. If interests rates go up, I win on one swap and lose on the other. But it nets to 0.

However, the article would say I have 200 dollars of swaps despite really having 0 dollars of risk

That brings us to the real issue. Counterparty risk... SVB is going to default on swaps

So it comes down to the risk vs specific counterparties. Let's say financial institutional named beard has done 1 trillion of swaps vs SVB...

Alot of the swaps offset each other. So the true risk for beard isn't 1 trillion. It's just the net value of all those swaps

The passage of Dodd frank was very bad in many ways. It made too big to fail banks even bigger

One of its positive side effects tho was mandatory compression. Banks now have teams that are constantly working with compression teams from other banks to get rid of trades that effectively net to 0

Here's a simplified example

I have 100mm swap to pay you 5% and recieve labor

You have 100mm swap with beard to pay 5% and recieve libor

beard has a 100mm swap with me to pay 5% and receive libor

The net market risk to all of us is 0. But we all face counterparty risk to each other while those swaps are outstanding

The compression teams analyze huge portfolios among a bunch of broker dealers and say "alright, Let's cancel all these since it nets to 0. Yall agree? Cool. Done."

Long story short, I'm not saying there won't be losers. There will be. But 30 trillion is a very misleading number since it doesn't reflect the actual risk that SVB had to the market or to individual counterparties

Edit: I never did compressions with SVB while at Morgan. Just Goldman, JPM, BOA, and some others. So dodd frank might have only applied to the big boys. I cant recall the details

That could explain why SVBs notional is increasing over time in sparkuris chart

Last edited:

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Hey Rambo

The 30 trillion number probably relates to a concept called notional value, which is not helpful in determining risk for a couple reasons

Let's say you and I do a 1 trillion dollar vanilla interest rate swap (swaps this big don't exist. It's just an example)

In that swap, I pay you 1% every quarter (a fixed leg) and you pay me libor every quarter (a floating leg)

The amounts you or i owe each other are calculated based off the 1 trillion notional, but the 1 trillion never changed hands and never will. It's just a number that's used in the calculation of the pay and recieve legs of the swap

As an example, if I do a 100 dollar swap with you, and the opposite 100 dollar swap with beard, then my market risk is actually 0. If interests rates go up, I win on one swap and lose on the other. But it nets to 0.

However, the article would say I have 200 dollars of swaps despite really having 0 dollars of risk

That brings us to the real issue. Counterparty risk... SVB is going to default on swaps

So it comes down to the risk vs specific counterparties. Let's say financial institutional named beard has done 1 trillion of swaps vs SVB...

Alot of the swaps offset each other. So the true risk for beard isn't 1 trillion. It's just the net value of all those swaps

The passage of Dodd frank was very bad in many ways. It made too big to fail banks even bigger

One of its positive side effects tho was mandatory compression. Banks now have teams that are constantly working with compression teams from other banks to get rid of trades that effectively net to 0

The net market risk to all of us is 0. But we all face counterparty risk to each other while those swaps are outstanding

The compression teams analyze huge portfolios among a bunch of broker dealers and say "alright, Let's cancel all these since it nets to 0. Yall agree? Cool. Done."

Long story short, I'm not saying there won't be losers. There will be. But 30 trillion is a very misleading number since it doesn't reflect the actual risk that SVB had to the market or to individual counterparties

Edit: I never did compressions with SVB while at Morgan. Just Goldman, JPM, BOA, and some others. So dodd frank might have only applied to the big boys. I cant recall the details

Hello Storm, hope your well and happy

Thank you for the breakdown
I don't trust these banks

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Hey Rambo

That's an excellent breakdown but I think Rambo John J @Rambo John J was joking?