T.J. Dillashaw shoots down potential rematch with Cody Garbrandt at UFC 222

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

The rivalry between bantamweight stars T.J. Dillashaw and Cody Garbrandt was renewed on Saturday when reports surfaced that the two were being considered as a replacement main event for UFC 222 on March 3. Featherweight champion Max Holloway was originally scheduled for a title defense against Frankie Edgar, but an injury will force him to withdraw from the scheduled headliner.

According to MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani, Dillashaw’s camp would like to see Garbrandt earn another shot at the title after Dillashaw won it from Garbrandt with a second-round KO at UFC 217 last November.

T.J. Dillashaw shoots down potential rematch with Cody Garbrandt at UFC 222

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
Cody had zero title defenses before being finished by TJ. No need for a immediate rematch.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Yeah no fucking champion should have to defend their title on short notice. It's not classy and devalues the belt, but moron UFC don't realize that.

Joemacka

Bisping is GOAT
Oct 19, 2015
So ufc 221 and 222 both had great Main events (Whittaker vs Rockhold and Holloway vs Edgar) but the rest of the cards garbage. Serves the ufc right for not stacking the cards.

Both events do less than 150K.

CLINTK9

Oct 20, 2015
So ufc 221 and 222 both had great Main events (Whittaker vs Rockhold and Holloway vs Edgar) but the rest of the cards garbage. Serves the ufc right for not stacking the cards.

you see my thread about having stacked cards or not? thatshow they should be. WAAAY too many injuries and usada victims these days.

Hwoarang

TMMAC Addict
Oct 22, 2015
Not only that, but DJ finally has a challenge and a chance at a decent payday. All of which is up in smoke if TJ were to lose to Cody.

In some ways I feel it's disrespectful to call a card "garbage" because I'm reasonably sure the fighters on it are talented and work hard. That isn't to say I would pay the money the UFC wants me to to view that card so I do see your point- the UFC does not seem the least bit interested in building fighters and the people working there don't seem to know how to build compelling matchups that more people want to see.
Their angle is: pay for the ufc and let us worry about what you will see. It's like going to a restaurant based on name value alone. The food may have potential but if it's not prepared well then what the hell?