General Texas bans abortion at approximately 6 weeks

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Heartbeat=abortion illegal
No exceptions made for rape or incest either.

To be clear this law is intended to be challenged by the writers. The intent of this law is to force the supreme Court to wade into the abortion issue with a hope to undo Roe v Wade. Ongoing efforts in multiple other states mirror this strategy.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Not to be crude - but do bigger girls even know they are pregnant at 6 weeks?

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I have a buddy who has a step sister that is large and in charge, I don't believe she knew she was preggers until like 6 months or something insane like that.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

I rarely see a woman in my clinic for a proof of pregnancy before 6 weeks.
Any woman that has a history of irregular periods would not know they're pregnant at 6 weeks usually

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Heartbeat=abortion illegal
No exceptions made for rape or incest either.

To be clear this law is intended to be challenged by the writers. The intent of this law is to force the supreme Court to wade into the abortion issue with a hope to undo Roe v Wade. Ongoing efforts in multiple other states mirror this strategy.
Kind of a cruel play if you ask me.
I'm not for killing babies, but I think like most things there should be exceptions in the cases of incest, rape, or where the mothers health is at risk and the baby is not viable.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I rarely see a woman in my clinic for a proof of pregnancy before 6 weeks.
Any woman that has a history of irregular periods would not know their pregnant at 6 weeks usually
Sort of what I was thinking.
6 weeks feels like a pretty early cut off.

Aren't there like 1 million abortions in the US every year? I'm sure the opponents of abortion have their hearts in the right place, but what are the unintended consequences of adding 1 million unwanted children to the population every year?

Last edited:

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Sort of what I was thinking.
6 weeks feels like a pretty early cut off.

Aren't there like 1 million abortions in the US every year? I'm sure the opponents of abortion have their hearts in the right place, but what are the unintended consequences of adding 1 million unwanted children every year?
I don't think it quite works out to that. This is one topic I think Elizabeth Warren actually spoke well about. There will be some children, but women with enough $$ will still get safe abortions; they will just travel to where they're legal. Women without money will seek unsafe black market abortions, and some will get sick or die (like in Dirty Dancing except most people don't have Jerry Orbach to save them). That's why she sees abortion laws as actually targeting certain groups. Some might commit suicide or attempt to injure themselves to cause the abortion.

Perhaps a pharmaceutical company will develop a new pill that doesn't need to be taken the morning after, idk the status of that. Did you see the Katie Porter thing? Maybe they will start spending more on R+D now.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I don't think it quite works out to that. This is one topic I think Elizabeth Warren actually spoke well about. There will be some children, but women with enough $$ will still get safe abortions; they will just travel to where they're legal. Women without money will seek unsafe black market abortions, and some will get sick or die (like in Dirty Dancing except most people don't have Jerry Orbach to save them). That's why she sees abortion laws as actually targeting certain groups. Some might commit suicide or attempt to injure themselves to cause the abortion.

Perhaps a pharmaceutical company will develop a new pill that doesn't need to be taken the morning after, idk the status of that. Did you see the Katie Porter thing? Maybe they will start spending more on R+D now.
Good points. I can't believe I'm agreeing with something Liz Warren said. Haha. Although I don't know that it's "targetting" certain groups, but I can see what she means about it being disproportionately impactful on different classes of society.

I didn't hear anything regarding Katie Porter.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Kind of a cruel play if you ask me.
I'm not for killing babies, but I think like most things there should be exceptions in the cases of incest, rape, or where the mothers health is at risk and the baby is not viable.
According to the article:

It makes exceptions "if a physician believes a medical emergency exists," but not for instances of rape or incest, citing that "public and private agencies provide ... emergency contraception for victims of rape or incest."
That's not an endorsement of the legislation, I have many different opinions on abortion that would likely seem hypocritical, but this is being framed by some people dishonestly.

Interestingly, this isn't the first legislation of it's kind to pop up over the last couple years, this is however the first time it isn't being attributed to the president...

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015

That's not an endorsement of the legislation, I have many different opinions on abortion that would likely seem hypocritical, but this is being framed by some people dishonestly.

Interestingly, this isn't the first legislation of it's kind to pop up over the last couple years, this is however the first time it isn't being attributed to the president...
I have a sneaking suspicion we may feel similarly but for somewhat different reasons.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016

I don't think every victim of rape or incest has access to those agencies in time to take emergency contraception. Also haven't they been trying to cut funding to those agencies like planned parenthood? Aside from the possibility of people being trapped with their abuser or not being able to speak up about it right away, Texas used to have a large medically underserved population. Splinty @Splinty would know the real situation these days.

M

member 3289

An older extended extended family member thought she was just going through menopause and didn't realize she was pregnant for 6 months. She big doe.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
An older extended extended family member thought she was just going through menopause and didn't realize she was pregnant for 6 months. She big doe.
Damn. A few months away from having an interesting morning dookie on the toilet.

Honey! My poop is crying!