VID The avalanche on everest

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
This was on TV all day in clips but figured I'd bring the whole video here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JC_wIWUC2U

The compressed air that the chunks of snow and ice created in the bowl adjacent to the Glacier had to be released somewhere. The release of this air and pressure was similar to a whoopee cushion or balloon. The air blast was concentrated towards the tents in the central portion of Everest Basecamp. Hurricane force wind from the blast completely pulverized and blew the camp away. Some Duffels from Expedition members were tossed for more than a football field’s length. Expedition boots, dining tent frames, and ice axes were tossed far across the glacier too. Right now 20-plus people are injured and the death toll is 8-20 people, but that may increase. Many of the injuries were similar to ones you might see in the Midwest when a tornado hits, with contusions and lacerations from flying debris. Head Injuries, broken legs, internal injuries, impalements also happened to people. Some people were picked up and tossed across the glacier for a hundred yards. People that took refuge in tents turned out to be the unlucky ones…..only a few feet away if a person hid behind a rock or a ice bank they escaped unharmed. People in tents were wrapped up in them, lifted by the force of the blast and then slammed down onto rocks, glacial moraine and ice on the glacier. Such an unbelievable force of wind and compressed air from the falling ice seracs and snow, it’s very hard to wrap my head around it.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
which makes this pretty macabre...

a pic of the team before it all happened. See the ice up in the middle?

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
thta damn near gave me an anxiety attack watching that.thank god for medical marijuanao_O:confused:

El_Varaco

Apr 15, 2015
Holy fuck

Fuck

Fuck

I would have been really bummed if they died they were extremely lucky.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
ive always found Everest so fascinating. Its crazy to think that when someone dies on everest their body never comes down. There are literally hundreds of bodies on everest perfectly frozen like they just died yesterday. some from the 1960's and stuff. People pass by them on the way up to everest.

sucks about the recent avalanche. and the fact that it even hit people on base camp has to suck.