The Berenstein Bears Conundrum...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I heard about this recently and thought it was quite interesting

Honestly, if you asked me to spell it, I would've thought BernSTEIN.. only because of the way some people pronounced it. However, I certainly realize I was just wrong, and that it is really Stain. I even went through some old boxes of books recently and found some of these from when I was a kid... They all said "stain"..lol

It's funny how people can't just accept that their spelling was wrong.. Like WTF.. just because you don't remember it right and the spelling is weird doesn't mean it's a massive conspiracy cover up, haha. Again, if someone asked me years ago, I'd say Bearnstein or whatever.. but I have no trouble accepting I was simply wrong

There's also a large group of people who swear on their lives that they were taught how to spell the word definitely like this in school "definitaly"... Again, I just don't get it. Definitely was never, ever spelled that way.. it's like people can't accept their own idiocy or something, haha

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
BTW, the definitely people are an actual online group of folks who claim there is a real life conspiracy plot behind the alternate spelling

That's when you know you've spent too much time on the damn computer. Hahaha

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
No, just no, it's just retards spelling shit wrong before spell check and the interwebs

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Autocorrect on my note 3 even spells it right before I finish Berenstain Bears

TheContinentalOp

Posting Machine
Mar 30, 2015
BTW, the definitely people are an actual online group of folks who claim there is a real life conspiracy plot behind the alternate spelling

No doubt. My favourite is probably the Flat-Earthers... not sure if you've heard of them but it's pretty hilarious.

I'll admit though, Berenstain Bears really fucks with me. I've always been slightly obsessed with spelling even from an early age (even worked as an editor for a newspaper for three years) and the first time I saw this brought up and saw Beren"stain" it triggered all kinds of Spidey-Spelling-Senses... Absolutely did not seem right but I'll also be the first to admit that memory is very malleable and we change our memories basically every time we 'remember' them so everything from our childhood is more or less suspect.

Still, I would've sworn the spelling was Berenstein. I don't know where the pronunciation of the 'een' comes from when it's spelt 'stain' though.

tumblr_ng3fzqk6Fl1qzxlcno1_1280.jpg
(not saying this ^ isn't shopped either)

TheContinentalOp

Posting Machine
Mar 30, 2015
And c'mon... you really think that CERN is using the Large Hadron Collider to create parallel universes where characters from our childhood have their last names slightly misspelled? That sounds like a few billion well-spent if you ask me.

Sidenote - here's a link to a lawyer's site that specializes in Trademarks and Copyrights for fictional characters, including (from his site), "complex issues concerning such characters and properties as Spider-Man, X-Men, Superman, Batman, Barbie, Babar the Elephant, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Teletubbies, The Berenstein Bears, Inspector Gadget, Franklin The Turtle, Raggedy Ann and Andy, Mr. Bill, and The Woodstock Festivals."

Apparently there's a bunch more that are fucking with people too... Answer these questions without looking anything up and see what everyone gets:
  • What's the name of the Tom Cruise vampire movie from the 90s?
  • What did the evil witch in Snow White recite to the mirror?
  • What was the name of the show from the 90's with Sarah Jessica Parker and a bunch of other raggedy looking middle-aged females?

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Apparently there's a bunch more that are fucking with people too... Answer these questions without looking anything up and see what everyone gets:
  • What's the name of the Tom Cruise vampire movie from the 90s?
  • What did the evil witch in Snow White recite to the mirror?
  • What was the name of the show from the 90's with Sarah Jessica Parker and a bunch of other raggedy looking middle-aged females?
I will answer these before looking it up
  1. No idea, Interview with a vampire? (probably wrong)
  2. Mirror Mirror on the wall who's the fairest of them all
  3. Sex and the City

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Ok so its "Interview with the Vampire"
Ok wrong again apparently "Magic mirror on the wall"
WOOOHOOOO I WAS RIGHT

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Here's my question, from what I've seen, most of these "misremembered" memories are all misremembered the same way, for the most part. Could it be more of a hive mind or collective subconscious type thing from before the Internet when information wasn't as easily accessible. Like a big game of telephone?

TheContinentalOp

Posting Machine
Mar 30, 2015
Here's my question, from what I've seen, most of these "misremembered" memories are all misremembered the same way, for the most part. Could it be more of a hive mind or collective subconscious type thing from before the Internet when information wasn't as easily accessible. Like a big game of telephone?
That's actually the direction I lean towards in believing and seems the most logical. There are some weird specific, personal stories though that can raise an eyebrow. For every other example besides Berenstein Bears I probably wouldn't think twice and would pass it off as that but for some reason my brain just cannot accept that it was ever spelt Berenstain.

All I know - is that I don't know...

TheContinentalOp

Posting Machine
Mar 30, 2015

That 'definitaly' one just bothers me because the root word that it is derived from is finite so there is really no logical reason for an 'a' to ever get put in there.

Most of the other examples seem to be people remembering the more logical spelling, which then just leads me to believe that ever since the last time people have seen these specific words, their memory of the word has been changed because without seeing the actual word they just replace the memory with how it should logically be spelt. Therefore, changing the memory and then every following memory is of the memory which they've changed... not the original, actual spelling.

Haha, I almost wish I never even looked into this. I don't even like those fucking bears......

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
obvious zionist conspiracy to control the minds of our children

MoomBah

Posting Machine
Feb 16, 2015
These used to be my favorite books in kindergarten. It was 100% the Berenstein Bears.

Maybe it was localized differently in some regions.

TheContinentalOp

Posting Machine
Mar 30, 2015
These used to be my favorite books in kindergarten. It was 100% the Berenstein Bears.

Maybe it was localized differently in some regions.
Try finding a book anywhere that has it as "Berenstein" and you will leave your search very frustrated. Before all this, if someone asked me to spell it and my percentage of certainty I would have said, "Berenstein, 100%."

Now, I'm not even sure my own name is what I think it is.