The day I was the fastest kid in the prison yard! (PICS)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
NOTE: Additional pics to be added to this thread periodically!

It was 'Family Day' in Kingston 1978 and I was 8 years old. The field was strong and competitive with other little convict bastard children, as you can see, the athleticism was on display with every young entrant coming out of the gate, yet I rose to the occasion with my flowing golden locks and my knee high socks, blowing away the competition in a finals race that is likely still spoken of to this day within the confines of the prison.

I know some of you are probably thinking the competition was not legit with all the crackers in the race. Well, fuck that, these crackers could run I tell ya. Just look at the stride on that kid in the light blue shirt trying to keep pace. The dude could run like a deer, but I bested him anyways!

Last edited:

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Things got even more heated when they pulled out the potato sacks, but again, I managed to reach the gold medal podium in a race that became widely recognized as one for the ages.........

This was perhaps the greatest sporting day of my entire life. I may very well have peaked at 8 years old but my Dad was there to see it, so that's awesome!

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
........and we celebrated being the Father/Son Champions of the Prison together! While it was not in tandem, Dad had also won the Athlete of the Day award during the prison's annual Athlete's Day competition in which the inmates had one day of competing in several various sports and competitions! We had made it.........both reaching are maximum athletic potential at the same time, in the grandest of arenas!

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Exactly one year to the day we gathered in the same yard with some additional family there to join us. My father was glad to have the company, especially my brother's and my uncle's who went the extra mile by joining him permanently..........on the inside.

From left, my little sister sitting on my brother's lap (he was just sentenced to a few years for smashing through a road block), Mom, Dad, Big sister, me in green on the chair behind her, my cousin standing over me, my grandma, my aunt..........and my uncle (serving 8 years for robbing 8 banks as the "Trans Am Bandit".

BJTT-Rizzo

Tanaka Clan
Feb 16, 2015
Just..wow. Always amazed at the photo captured history of your family's life. Very cool thread yet again. Salute.

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
My little sister is the subject of the cutest photo ever taken in a prison yard!

Boy, did she grow up to be a bitch though!

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
My friend, fond memories and good stuff you are posting. The question I have is, were they testing for peds and more importantly, were they testing out of comp as you had too big of a lead which makes me question whether you might have had an "advantage", lol

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
You don't post too often but it always delivers. I really love old photos and tales from the 70s/80s. You're 10 years older than me but those pictures remind of the nights we'd have slide shows and Dad and Ma had styles like the above. At the time you think they're living this crazy life and wonder how they got there, 25 years later I'm showing pictures to my kids from my dating days with thier mom and we just sit, smile and tell stories.....life is awesome.

Last edited:

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
You don't lost too often but of always delivers. I really love old photos and tales from the 70s/80s. You're 10 years older than me but those pictures remind of the nights we'd have slide shows and Dad and Ma had styles like the above. At the time you think they're living this crazy life and wonder how they got there, 25 years later I'm showing pictures to my kids from my dating days with thier mom and we just sit, smile and tell stories.....life is awesome.
Your first sentence could rival that which inspired our TMMAC founding father's screen name, 'I Wild Each It', lol!

Also, I totally hear ya on the old photos. Love the 60's and 70's pics the best of all. Old black and whites are tough to compete with, but a scanned polaroid is really cool, stains and discoloration included!

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Just..wow. Always amazed at the photo captured history of your family's life. Very cool thread yet again. Salute.
Thanks Frank! I never take for granted the appreciation I have for the fact that despite the chaos that often surrounded the home front, they always found the time to snap away with the camera, taking pictures and capturing some of the crazy memories...........even amidst all of the fuckedupedness in those times.

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Here is Pops showing off some of his trophies from Athlete's Day in Kingston when he took the overall prize.

I think this might have been the handball trophy
but

I can't remember what they all were, but there was definitely handball, weight lifting, running, volleyball..........I don't recall the other events now and all the trophies were left behind years ago, but he won six or 7 of them as well as the Athlete of the Day. I recall Mom being so proud, lol!

Floor hockey was one of them, it was a big one. This may be it, I'm not sure.......but I know that floor hockey was a big game inside with lots of violent stories.

George Chuvalo, the former Canadian Heavyweight Champion for many years, and the first man to take Muhammad Ali the distance as a pro was on hand as a special guest in the prison to hand over the Athlete of the Day trophy to the old man.

Some serious unfulfilled potential can be seen here in this lot of athletes!

So there you have it...........me and Pops, we owned the prison sports scene back in the day!

BJTT-Rizzo

Tanaka Clan
Feb 16, 2015
I think my mother has a billion rolls of undeveloped film somewhere. Either that or a chest full of photos from my childhood locked away not being enjoyed. We traveled all the time, had celebrations like everyone else(always taking pictures). Yet I only know what I looked like as a kid due to embed in memory of school portraits. I'm gunna get on her case! Lol

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I think my mother has a billion rolls of undeveloped film somewhere. Either that or a chest full of photos from my childhood locked away not being enjoyed. We traveled all the time, had celebrations like everyone else(always taking pictures). Yet I only know what I looked like as a kid due to embed in memory of school portraits. I'm gunna get on her case! Lol
Ya, undeveloped film is an exciting thing to tap into years later...........kind of like that show Storage Wars, you don't know if there is a hidden gem in there or just a bunch of bunk! I have about 7 reels of 8mm film from back in the 70's that I want to convert to digital but I was quoted about $700 to do so, therefore I am on hold until I adjust my financial situation. ANyhow, I am really hoping for the film of my uncles all punching each other out over a touch football game in the field across the road from my house as a kid. My Dad was filming I believe, and the boys just started winging when things got a little too competitive.........4 or 5 of them. Blood was drawn, black eyes..........that film was a family favorite for years, but we're not sure where it is now. I can only hope it is on one of these reels I dug up the last time I was home!

Come back and see us when you develop those old films. I love old pics regardless of the content.