Society The Donald J. Trump Show - 4 more years editions

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
It helps to know the history of the border, its porous nature, and the bilateral and unilateral policies made between the US and Mexico. Here's a decent (if simplistic) overview. Timeline: U.S.-Mexico Relations
I don't think these zilches know (or care) about the history, they look at it the same way as Mr. KKK or Neo Nazi looks at it - white people > everyone else. But contrary to your average skinhead white supremacist knucklehead, the ultra lib feels tremendous guilt for harbouring these racist views and feels it's his duty to look after minorities - not in a brotherly way, but more like in a way one would leave a saucer of milk on their doorstep for a stray cat. I just think it's crudely disguised racism. "We HAVE to take ALL the Mexican migrants, because there's no way they have the capacity to fix their own problems". Sad!

These are the same people who purport to be allies of the black community, and go and write books and screenplays with characters like John Coffey and Bagger Vance, who are just there to help the white protagonist with their mystical powers. Liberals need to face their racism IMO!

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I don't think these zilches know (or care) about the history, they look at it the same way as Mr. KKK or Neo Nazi looks at it - white people > everyone else. But contrary to your average skinhead white supremacist knucklehead, the ultra lib feels tremendous guilt for harbouring these racist views and feels it's his duty to look after minorities - not in a brotherly way, but more like in a way one would leave a saucer of milk on their doorstep for a stray cat. I just think it's crudely disguised racism. "We HAVE to take ALL the Mexican migrants, because there's no way they have the capacity to fix their own problems". Sad!

These are the same people who purport to be allies of the black community, and go and write books and screenplays with characters like John Coffey and Bagger Vance, who are just there to help the white protagonist with their mystical powers. Liberals need to face their racism IMO!
I guess my question whenever I hear this argument is why you assume the main people placing pressure on liberal politics aren't the communities themselves? There are and have been politically involved and engaged Black and Latino people in US politics since the 1700s at least. They were always already there and always already grappling with systemic approaches to dealing with the problems of borders, racism, integration, assimilation etc. The framing of it as solely a white problem or stemming from white guilt centers whiteness when in actuality white people have since the origins of the US always only been one part (even if outsized) of the political process.

There is plenty of racism prevalent among white liberals and communities of color call them on it constantly, though whether we're heard, by whom we're heard and what happens next are always open questions. But centering the white liberal as the default state of US liberalism already reinscribes the problem. We are not dupes. We are not fooled by "goodies" and scraps. There is political diversity within ethnic groups and ethnic diversity within political groups. The caricature you paint of "liberals" reduces everyone into a whitewash where politics is solely something done to people rather than something that emerges out of of their everyday lives. The reality is usually in the middle as different interest groups interact in unique ways at different times with the state.

jasonhightower

"You're not even training are you Frenchy?"
Jan 2, 2017
So I read the definition of a Nationalist, for the first time I think. I guess it's like anything political, if it's done in moderation it doesn't seem bad. But I do wonder... How can you be a Nationalist and be such a big advocate for Israel? Wouldn't that seem counter to the definition?

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I guess my question whenever I hear this argument is why you assume the main people placing pressure on liberal politics aren't the communities themselves? There are and have been politically involved and engaged Black and Latino people in US politics since the 1700s at least. They were always already there and always already grappling with systemic approaches to dealing with the problems of borders, racism, integration, assimilation etc.
Sort of.

Historically, the actual communities aren't very well represented. Only the people who are "white" (in the social construct sense) are allowed to sit at the table and speak.