Society The Donald J. Trump Show - 4 more years editions

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Trump boasts of 'blowout' 303,000 jobs report, leading economists to puzzle over his math
Donald Trump boasts of 303,000 new jobs, more than twice actual figure
Economists were scratching their heads after President Trump tweeted about a “blowout” 303,000 jobs that the economy added in October, more than twice the 128,000 that the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported early Friday.

"Wow, a blowout JOBS number just out, adjusted for revisions and the General Motors strike, 303,000," Trump tweeted. "This is far greater than expectations. USA ROCKS!"

Chris Lu, the former deputy secretary of labor for President Barack Obama, tweeted that Trump had "reached a new low and is making up fake numbers."

Even though Trump's comments about the jobs numbers included caveats about revisions and the GM strike, economists were still puzzling over his math.

“What the president said today is not tethered to any empirical reality,” said Joe Brusuelas, chief economist of RSM.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
If the rule that the genitive case for singular nouns is marked with apostrophe + s, it shouldn't matter if a word already ends in the letter s. Keeping it uniform for all singular nouns makes the most sense.
Realized it's the Pronoun proper nouns issue that was messing up my habit (ie Thomas' computer). So singular pronouns, drop the trailing S. But not for nouns. Then I realized, I don't use singular possessive nouns that end in S almost ever.

MLA likes Thomas' as that has been standard for a while. But now the Chicago manual says Thomas's as well!!!

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Does anyone else find humor in a debate about composition and style in a Trump thread?
I find pretty much any grammar debate kind of funny. If you take an overview of what language is, they're pretty much the dumbest thing you can spend your time on.

M

member 3289

Realized it's the Pronoun issue that was messing up my habit (ie Thomas' computer). So singular pronouns, drop the trailing S. But not for nouns. Then I realized, I don't use singular possessive nouns that end in S almost ever.

MLA likes Thomas' as that has been standard for a while. But now the Chicago manual says Thomas's as well!!!
Dafuq are you talking about? You haven't used any pronouns.

MLA is for high school kids. Grow up

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Dafuq are you talking about? You haven't used any pronouns.
I regularly use pronouns proper nouns that end in S. That is my habit. I grew up as Thomas' not Thomas's
Chicago used to say the former. Now it says the latter. Not all guides agree. But they seem to be coming around.

I don't oft use a possessive noun ending in S, Genius's being an unusual event in my world. Genius's was probably always preferred and I never had it right. But Thomas', James', etc used to be right per Chicago and everyone.

M

member 3289

I regularly use pronouns that end in S. That is my habit. I grew up as Thomas' not Thomas's
Chicago used to say the former. Now it says the latter. Not all guides agree. But they seem to be coming around.
Proper nouns not pronouns, goof.

Just put 's on all singular nouns, proper or common. It's much easier that way.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Correct.

Jon Jones's as well.
At the risk of exposing myself as a redneck pronouncing life wrong...

Jones's looks right given pronunciation as Jonesez.

Hippocrates's looks wrong as I don't say Hippocratesez in the possessive form.

I could see the standardization in writing alter future pronunciation standards.