Society The Donald J. Trump Show - 4 more years editions

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

DiSmAnTLeR

Apr 5, 2016
The term 'living rent free in your head' has been way over used in 2018.

I add commentary often. I also post articles or tweets I find entertaining.

The fact you feel the need to comment on my posting habits shows me, I am 'living rent free in your head'. #winning
You started out by pointing out a posting habit of mine (employing an overused term) then went on to claim that commenting on a posting habit is evidence that the person lives rent free in your head.

I’d hate to see what you consider #Losing!

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
You started out by pointing out a posting habit of mine (employing an overused term) then went on to claim that commenting on a posting habit is evidence that the person lives rent free in your head.

I’d hate to see what you consider #Losing!
It has become clear you dont understand humor.

This explains a lot about your responses and posting habits.

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I love how what used to be hippies have become war mongers. Amazing hypocrisy, what say you megatherium @Megaterio Llamas
It's almost surreal. Breathtaking hypocrisy. Of course they the same people who were really serious about, more the posers.

In either case this is wonderful news if true. As you know, my support for Trump was based solely on his non intervention talk during the election campaign, which of course was in stark contrast to shrill Hill's Assad must go; Putin's aggression won't stand etc etc ect....

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Disciplined Galt @Galt It's almost surreal. Breathtaking hypocrisy. Of course they the same people who were really serious about the issue, more the posers.

In either case this is wonderful news if true. As you know, my support for Trump was based solely on his non intervention talk during the election campaign, which of course was in stark contrast to shrill Hill's Assad must go; Putin's aggression won't stand etc etc ect....

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Bruv, please quit shitting up the thread with fake news. Our exit from Syria should be a surprise to no one.

This was in March...

Quoted from Trump in the video you posted, "We are going to have 100% of the caliphate, as they call it, sometimes referred to as land ... But we are going to be coming out of there real soon. We are going to get back to our country, where we belong, where we want to be,"

Enough said.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Quoted from Trump in the video you posted, "We are going to have 100% of the caliphate, as they call it, sometimes referred to as land ... But we are going to be coming out of there real soon. We are going to get back to our country, where we belong, where we want to be,"

Enough said.
Cool spin bro

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Trump’s Syria Pullout Fuels Backlash Across DC

Hawks, many liberals furious after surprise shift on Syria deployment
https://news.antiwar.com/2018/12/19/trum...across-dc/

President Trump’s announcement of an immediate withdrawal of US forces from Syria seems to have taken a lot of people by surprise. Such big news is fueling both a predictable backlash from hawks, and angry criticism from political rivals who are portraying the announcement as a reckless shift from the open-ended military engagement everyone was expecting.

Trump presented the move as a natural response to he defeat of ISIS, which is leading a lot of hawks to deny that ISIS is really defeated. Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) compared this to the 2011 withdrawal from Iraq, and said Congress must make Trump explain the policy.

Still, since the war has been spun as being sort of about Iran, analysts are still predicting anger among Iran hawks, both in the cabinet and in the party leadership. Charles Lister from the Middle East Institute said it might plant the seeds for rebellion among Republicans to not be in the war.

Hillary Clinton advisers said the move would “strengthen Russia,” and CNN’s Jake Tapper quoted an unnamed Pentagon official calling the end of the war a Russian victory. Yet Russia has also been very public in drawing down its own war effort.

Indeed CNN was broadly critical in its coverage of the move out of Syria, generally focusing on liberal opposition to the change. The opposition appeared primarily built around it being a Trump policy.

MSNBC was also critical in its coverage, quoting former CIA Director John Brennan and multiple analysts reiterating the narrative that underpins the long-term presence in Syria which the rest of the administration had been parroting up until today.

The Pentagon had been positioning the US for a permanent presence in Syria, coming up with additional military goals beyond the defeat of ISIS, centering on demanding all Shi’ite militias leave Syria, and ensuring ISIS-like groups never reemerge at any point in the future.

While unachievable goals make for a permanent war, it would be difficult to justify this with the Syrian government not authorizing the US presence, and the US no longer demanding regime change.

Still, the Pentagon’s focus now is shifting away from those secondary goals they invented, and now they’re simply arguing that ISIS is not defeated, and that the war is not over. Rep. Ed Royce (R-CA) claimed this was a function of “arbitrary political deadlines.”

Yet there doesn’t appear to have ever been a public deadline. Trump, rather, has long expressed interest in ending the war, and it’s only been intense pressure that’s kept him from doing so before now.

Whether it’s Iran or Russia that’s the excuse, a number of senators seem to be lining up to issue brief statements opposing the end of the war. It seems after so many years of war, many believe this will be the safer position to take.

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
White House Announces Full Withdrawal From Syria

Trump declares victory over ISIS, says that was only reason to stay

https://news.antiwar.com/2018/12/19/whit...rom-syria/

In a surprise move, President Trump has declared victory over ISIS in Syria, and the White House has confirmed that a complete withdrawal of US military forces from Syria has been ordered. Officials also say the State Department will be withdrawn in the next 24 hours.

This would see an estimated 2,000 US troops pulled from Syria, which comes after many months of Pentagon officials positioning the military presence as a very long-term one. No one seems to have anticipated this announcement.

In the immediate lead-up to the announcement, however, the Trump Administration has been telegraphing a post-war mindset a bit, with special envoy James Jeffrey confirming earlier this week that the US accepts Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is staying in office.

That’s a big shift after years of demanding regime change at the end of the war. Now, US officials are just insisting that no reconstruction aid will be provided unless the Assad government changes substantially.

The announcement is expected to start a lot of arguments, with a number of Congressional hawks already positioning themselves as vehemently opposed to the pullout. Hawks within the administration will likely oppose the plan as well, and the Pentagon seems to have planned to just stay in Syria permanently.

British Defense Minister Tobias Ellwood issued his own statement rejecting Trump’s announcement, saying he “strongly disagrees” with the assessment that ISIS is defeated. It is unclear if Britain intends to keep attacking Syria on their own.

The biggest impact of a US pullout is likely to be in Syrian Kurdistan, where Turkey is threatening an invasion, and the Pentagon has been warning that would be “unacceptable.” President Trump spoke to the Turkish president just a few days ago, and if a pullout was imminent then, they presumably would’ve discussed the matter, and the implications. This may explain President Erdogan having the impression that Trump endorsed his invasion.

It’s not clear how long it will take for the US to get 2,000 troops out of Syria, and some military officials may drag their heels on the matter, hoping that they can talk the president out of ending the war. For now, however, there is reason to hope that the American involvement in the war is about to be over.