Society The Escalating Terrorism Problem in the United States

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
What specific claim or action in the article are you referring to?
"The incident is being investigated as a hate crime."

and all the associated rhetoric.

"Hate Crime" is a thought crime. The idea that the motivation for violence makes the violence more or less anti-social and therefore worthy of different punishment is what's antithetical to the fabric of this nation and the Rule of Law.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Not being flippant here, but why does it matter how this mass shooting is labeled?

He killed 10 people and live streamed it. There's no doubt who did it. Fuck his "not guilty" plea. Have a 10 minute trial and execute him.
I’m gonna guess talking points for future policy changes and politicking.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I’m gonna guess talking points for future policy changes and politicking.
I was wondering if it gives them more leniency to prosecute like-minded players by investigating his online interactions. Patriot Act.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
when someone commits a mass murder due to a specific indoctrination, it makes sense to try to figure out what caused that so as to prevent this from happening again

understanding what caused it is not just about learning about what caused it, but also learning about what did not cause it such as video games

so its not just about what new rules/regulations to put in place, but also about what new rules/regulations to not put in place

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
when someone commits a mass murder due to a specific indoctrination, it makes sense to try to figure out what caused that so as to prevent this from happening again

understanding what caused it is not just about learning about what caused it, but also learning about what did not cause it such as video games

so its not just about what new rules/regulations to put in place, but also about what new rules/regulations to not put in place
Are you suggesting that someone with the inclination to commit mass murder wouldn’t just find another form of indoctrination if that one specific type was removed?

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
Are you suggesting that someone with the inclination to commit mass murder wouldn’t just find another form of indoctrination if that one specific type was removed?
your question referred to people that all already indoctrinated

although unclear, my comment was about preventive measures that may work as well as preventive measures that may not work in terms of people who are not yet indoctrinated

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016

although unclear, my comment was about preventive measures that may work as well as preventive measures that may not work in terms of people who are not yet indoctrinated
I know what you meant.

Last edited:

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016

And no, my question doesn’t refer people already indoctrinated. I’m implying that those types of people may likely end up on the same destructive path regardless of what “specifically “gets them there.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
"The incident is being investigated as a hate crime."

and all the associated rhetoric.

"Hate Crime" is a thought crime. The idea that the motivation for violence makes the violence more or less anti-social and therefore worthy of different punishment is what's antithetical to the fabric of this nation and the Rule of Law.
A hate crime is not a thought crime.

A thought crime wouldn’t have 10 dead people.

Are aggravating factors also a thought crime. How about 1st degree murder?

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016

Let me just go ahead and make my point.

I’m not sure that new rules/regulations being put in place will help solve the problem.

First let me share an idea with you.

“ You can’t break a bad habit without replacing it with a good habit. Otherwise you just pick up another bad habit.”

In other words, if you are the type of person that functions on ‘habits’, you have to work around that inherent trait.

Let that rest and jump over to this with me.

One of the hardest things to do as a parent was admitting that my kids were growing up and I couldn’t control everything in their lives anymore. I was going to have to allow them out in the world and I could not protect them from ever seeing, hearing, or experiencing bad things or people.

One example was firearms. I could protect my kids from them at home but what about elsewhere? What if they find a gun at someone else’s house? Many kids get hurt with firearms because of ignorance on how dangerous they are and how to safely handle them. I made a conscious decision to have my husband take them and teach them about firearms. Does this mean that I want them carrying a gun? Hell no.

Same with drugs. I couldn’t ensure they would never be offered drugs. I had to teach them what I could about the dangers and their own responsibility in their choices.

That’s what I base my reasoning on here. That just taking away a bad thing (like a bad habit) will automatically replace it with a good thing.

I think it starts with personal accountability and responsibility. I think we are doing society a disservice by allowing this person’s actions to be blamed on indoctrination, anything really, other than himself.

Are there contributing factors (evils) here? Absolutely, but we can’t remove all of those for society. The person is ultimately responsible for their own actions.

K @kaladin stormblessed , I shared this with you because I admire your heart and mind. You are always looking for ways to improve humanity. In the realm of good vs evil, I see you as a great warrior for the good side. I’m just trying to give you more ammunition.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
A hate crime is not a thought crime.

A thought crime wouldn’t have 10 dead people.

Are aggravating factors also a thought crime. How about 1st degree murder?
it's the very definition of "thought crime".

it makes the some thoughts an aggravating factor, like the difference between armed robbery and larceny.
but there's no difference in the crime, only the "thinking" around the crime.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
it's the very definition of "thought crime".

it makes the some thoughts an aggravating factor, like the difference between armed robbery and larceny.
but there's no difference in the crime, only the "thinking" around the crime.
Intention / Mens Rea is a large part of a criminal conviction.

Almost all criminal charges and convictions are greatly influenced by 1) mens rea and 2) actus reus

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Intention / Mens Rea is a large part of a criminal conviction.

Almost all criminal charges and convictions are greatly influenced by 1) mens rea and 2) actus reus
mens rea is not "hate crime"

mens rea is simply a question of whether there was an intent to commit the act with knowledge of criminality, as ignorance of criminality is not relevant.

mens rea does not place different punishments on different motives. That's what hate crime laws do, they make certain thoughts more criminal than other thoughts.

That's not at all mens rea