The Ever-Evolving Vitor Belfort

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
FRAT

Vitor Belfort has had perhaps the most significant evolution of any fighter or athlete period who's stuck around their sport for as long as he has. It's been fun to watch him add tools to his game. In fact, I would argue no fighter in the history of MMA has transformed their game as radically as Vitor Belfort has over the course of their career. The only one who comes close is Anderson Silva, who totally reinvented himself upon his arrival in the UFC. It was weird to see the old Anderson with shoulders held high and a careful plodding style return in the fight against Nick Diaz. The samba was gone from his hips. Randy Couture also added tools to his game at a certain point in his career that made him more dangerous, but only as a means of setting up his bread and butter dirty boxing and clinch game. Vitor, owing perhaps to his youth when he entered the game, has been a master of technical and strategic reinvention.

Vitor started as a BJJer under the legendary Carlson Gracie, then grafted boxing skills onto his BJJ courtesy of trainer Al Stankie. He wasn't a very good boxer in the beginning, but had very fast powerful hands and seemed to have laser sharp accuracy. His fight with Couture showed how far he had to go in developing his boxing skills and his wrestling and clinch work was pretty unremarkable as well. Way back when, I interviewed Randy and he told me the key to beating Vitor was that he had a "click" where he would move backwards and then he would sort of pause and that's when you knew the flurry was coming. As long as you jabbed him on the click, you could beat him. Randy's boxing coach figured this out at UFC 15, having only seen a little of Vitor in action, but he said he used the same strategy when they fought years later in their third fight.

At UFC Japan, we finally got to really see Vitor's BJJ skills when he dismantled Joe Charles. People ridicule that fight, but the "ghetto man" had at least been around against some names (albeit in a mostly uninspiring career). That Vitor contested it exclusively on the ground was a testament to his confidence.

After an unimpressive loss to Sakuraba, we saw a Vitor who started to take his wrestling more seriously in his matches with Yvel and Matsui. Darryl Gholar was training with some of Carlson's guys at the time and would follow them to the formation of Brazilian Top Team. The difference in that Vitor was noticeable as he played a safer, more patient game, working his takedowns and learning to use his hands for ground and pound rather than just mad dash flurries. The fights were incredibly boring, but it was clear he was maturing.

Funny aside: I bumped into Vitor just by chance on the street in San Diego right after the Yvel fight. It was weird to me at the time how young he was because he seemed older on screen. He told me to go around the corner to Rodrigo Medeiros' academy where they were all watching the fight. He's like "Hey, I just fought in Japan. It was really great. The fight was really great. You should check it out." I was like "awesome!" So I go to the gym with these people all huddled around the screen and suffered through like half an hour of Vitor throwing potshots in Yvel's guard. Vitor comes in with a big smile and gives me a thumbs up so I didn't dare leave. LOL

Vitor's BJJ was high at the time from working at BTT and his wrestling had really come along. He showed it off to good effect at ADCC 2001, taking 3rd in the absolute (though that match with Arona was almost certainly a work and he got lucky that Ricardo Almeida was injured imo). His BJJ was the difference maker in his fights against Bobby Southworth and Heath Herring. He kind of robbed Herring out of that win, but there were a few times he was in trouble that his BJJ made the difference.

By the time he faced Chuck Liddell at UFC 37.5 we saw a transitional Vitor who had finally learned how to box a little bit and was even kickboxing. To me, the Vitor that showed up to fight Liddell was the beginning of the modern Vitor. He still hadn't shaken the click, but he was picking his shots better, using footwork and attempting to incorporate low and high kicks into his game. In the fight with Marvin Eastman a year later (a decidedly lesser opponent) he was able to really show the benefits of the muay thai training he'd been doing, unleashing brutal knees on Eastman and opening up one of the worst cuts in MMA history. Vitor was finally learning to put it all together.

It was around this time that Vitor's sister Priscilla Belfort disappeared Vitor soldiered on and fought Randy Couture anyway and landed that one in a million seam of the glove shot that won him the title for a hot minute. It would've been interesting to see how that fight would have looked if it had continued. Vitor's timing and patience had changed tremendously by then. Sadly, by the time he and Couture rematched, his sister's death was a certainty, so who can know how much of a role that played. The click was allowing Couture to get his set ups and Vitor just couldn't handle Randy's clinch game or superior wrestling. Vitor would have similar troubles in his fight with Tito Ortiz, despite a creditable effort, and the guy who got tapped by Alistair Overeem seemed like a ghost of his former self.

Vitor waded through a few fights over the following years, winning some, losing some, but he often seemed either ill prepared or non-committal. At a certain point he started training his BJJ with Checkmat and he started experimenting with integrating some new tricks against lesser competition. His fight with James Zikic is especially interesting to watch because of how methodical he was, but he really put an MMA clinic on Zikic who gave him all he had. It's actually one of Vitor's best performances as a complete fighter. He used beautiful set ups to get the fight to the ground and was moving between hand and foot attacks well. His BJJ looked phenomenal.

A more patient version of flurry Vitor returned for the fights with Martin, Lindland and Franklin, but was derailed by Anderson's mighty front kick. Vitor was a true veteran in every sense of the word by the time he fought Anthony Johnson. AJ managed to put him in trouble, but Vitor's scrambles on the ground were still legit and he weathered a few storms to find the submission. It was clear he was slowing down a bit, but he had become a cagey, crafty vet. His short notice fight with Jon Jones proved this as well as he hung around with the champ for four rounds and even managed to be the first person to ever put him in any danger with a slick, tight armbar.

Back at 185 lbs. following those fights and with the aid of TRT, Vitor dispatched Bisping, Rockhold and Henderson using a completely well rounded attacking game, mixing excellent spacing, timing and footwork with varied leg and hand attacks. No one who saw any version of Vitor would have ever predicted that he'd become a head kick KO artist. But he did, rounding out an impressive growth as a fighter and truly showing the blueprint for how to evolve with the game.

Sadly, I think it's possibly too late at this point as his age, combined with changes to his supplement regimen, will make his endurance a question mark against a Chris Weidman who really knows how to put pressure on his opponents (an area where Vitor struggles) and has learned in just a few years what it took Vitor about eighteen to master. Still, I'm sure he'll have a few good moments on Saturday night. Vitor's not quite as quick as he used to be, but unlike other fighters who let the loss of speed completely disintegrate their game (Roy Jones Jr. perhaps being the best example), Vitor has adapted his skills to stay relevant in a sport where most of his peers have hung up the gloves. No matter what happens Saturday, it's been a fun career.

Last edited:

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Damn what a great post. You are a wealth of knowledge kneeblock @Kneeblock. I'm going to try and find his fight against James Zikic.

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
Cage rage still owes Vitor the belt he won that night. They were supposed to send it to him and never did. I think they got sold off to pro elite soon after

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
One other note: If Vitor wins tomorrow night, he becomes the first 3 division champ in MMA history. 2 of those sort of have asterisks, but history will forget that.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Here is what is funny and the real truth.

Vitor never evolved actually. All his success if you look at his past is related to PEDs when he wasn't on and even some of his fights when he was he still lost. Sure he works hard, sure he has speed but without drugs he is not so elite. He gasses in most of his fights if he doesn't stop u right away so IMO that isn't the sign of a true elite fighter. He can't stop takedowns never really has been good at that so no evolution there. Sure he has done some cool things in the cage but let's be real about his ability.

Hired Gun

If You Only Knew What I Dooooo
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I stole this one

What does Vitor Belfort and every women I've ever dated have in common?

They both look concerned when they miss their cycle.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015

Vitor never evolved actually. All his success if you look at his past is related to PEDs when he wasn't on and even some of his fights when he was he still lost. Sure he works hard, sure he has speed but without drugs he is not so elite. He gasses in most of his fights if he doesn't stop u right away so IMO that isn't the sign of a true elite fighter. He can't stop takedowns never really has been good at that so no evolution there. Sure he has done some cool things in the cage but let's be real about his ability.
To attribute it all to PEDs is missing the bigger picture of his technical evolution. When people talk about old new old New new Vitor, yeah, I think that's more in line with the PEDs talk, but the reality is he's added a lot of new tools to his game and has really changed his style completely more than once. PEDs don't teach you to throw a high kick correctly, nor do they allow you to develop a decent plum. They certainly don't help you scramble out of side control on the ground. Whether he's truly elite is anyone's guess, but there's no objective way to look at any of his fights and say he hasn't added different tools to the arsenal almost every time out.

Earlier I said almost no one had gone through such a radical change, but two other guys who have done the same are Robbie Lawler and Demetrious Johnson. Both of them have been around awhile and have really changed things up. In DJ's case, he turned a corner and has basically stuck to similar habits since doing so, but in Robbie's case, his entire striking and ground game has been overhauled, which is why he's where he's at today. Same with Vitor. Regardless of what he was on when, he's switched things up enough to keep opponents guessing.

Personally, I think the loss of TRT will have a huge impact in a fight against a bullying style like Weidman's, mostly in terms of endurance and timing.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015

Fuc-ing Pitbull9 @Pitbull3744 finally laying down the facts. You all need to listen to this.......Thank you for this.

Star-Lord

Saving the Universe one Fight at a Time
Amateur Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Fuc-ing Pitbull9 @Pitbull3744 finally laying down the facts. You all need to listen to this.......Thank you for this.
I agree with kneeblock PEDs don't teach you techniques. Yes he can train harder and longer because of them but he still works hard to develop a new game and continually evolve. I think the fact that he has been training with HIGH LEVEL kickboxers is huge and a point to consider in his style change.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Pitbull9 @Pitbull3744 one thing you bring up just made me think.

Much of Vitor's evolution that I catalogue above has been offensive. Defensively, he has only added bits and pieces here and there. His footwork and distancing have improved; his scrambling on the mat has improved; but he hasn't favored defensive technical refinement for the most part, which is why guys who bring a lot of pressure and are technically sound themselves usually represent a challenge for him. His primary defensive tactic has always seemed to be taking the fight to another area of MMA where he felt more comfortable since he's a natural all-rounder.

This might also contribute to his gassing because when he gets into tough positions, he spends a little too much time relying on bursts and scrambles rather than technical defense. Interesting food for thought.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Early Vitor was known and e oected to do this almost every fight.

Years later his new thing is this.

Its not like he was a one dimensional guy who eventually learned to strike. Guys been at around the top for longer than most whether they used or not.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Just rewatched the Zikic fight and it was actually a lot more competitive than I remembered. I still think it's Vitor's best performance, perhaps because he struggled at times and used pure technique to get out of tough spots.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
All joking aside, he actually almost submitted Jones which is the closest Jones has been to losing and all respect to him and I just can't wait for this whole card.........don't hate, just enjoy the atmosphere of the night.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
To attribute it all to PEDs is missing the bigger picture of his technical evolution. When people talk about old new old New new Vitor, yeah, I think that's more in line with the PEDs talk, but the reality is he's added a lot of new tools to his game and has really changed his style completely more than once. PEDs don't teach you to throw a high kick correctly, nor do they allow you to develop a decent plum. They certainly don't help you scramble out of side control on the ground. Whether he's truly elite is anyone's guess, but there's no objective way to look at any of his fights and say he hasn't added different tools to the arsenal almost every time out.

Earlier I said almost no one had gone through such a radical change, but two other guys who have done the same are Robbie Lawler and Demetrious Johnson. Both of them have been around awhile and have really changed things up. In DJ's case, he turned a corner and has basically stuck to similar habits since doing so, but in Robbie's case, his entire striking and ground game has been overhauled, which is why he's where he's at today. Same with Vitor. Regardless of what he was on when, he's switched things up enough to keep opponents guessing.

Personally, I think the loss of TRT will have a huge impact in a fight against a bullying style like Weidman's, mostly in terms of endurance and timing.
Don't underestimate the power of PEDs. When I was playing ice hockey and I was also cycling my game was fucking insane, I was doing things I had never done before and faster then ever before, my slap shot was my accurate and harder then ever. PEDs will make enhance ever single thing and they will make you sharper and can make you kick better and more accurately. I don't knock people for not fully understanding what PEDs fully do because unless you have actually used them while playing a sport it's hard to understand how they will fucking Jack your game and skills to a level never seen before or even a thought that it could be that crazy. I like Vitor I do and I know it seems like I don't and I would love for PEDs to be legal I really would but this guy has cheated his whole career but speaks a very different tune and that is annoying as hell. When I was playing and my teammates asked me if I was on shit I was like yup I am. I know he is a pro and you can't just out right say it but don't go around fucking preaching Jesus and talking about hard work as if you haven't been using the whole time which helps all that hard work especially at his age. The guys a liar and a cheAt and I hate that which is why I don't like Sonnen either.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Pitbull9 @Pitbull3744 that's interesting insight. Would you say when you did PEDs it made you more willing to try techniques because you were more confident they would be successful? And were they techniques you'd been instructed in or techs you saw and could mimic? It's fascinating to think about how that experience would be grafted onto the fight game.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Pitbull9 @Pitbull3744 that's interesting insight. Would you say when you did PEDs it made you more willing to try techniques because you were more confident they would be successful? And were they techniques you'd been instructed in or techs you saw and could mimic? It's fascinating to think about how that experience would be grafted onto the fight game.
All of that actually. You feel invincible and like you can walk through a wall lol. You try things because you feel so good like you can do anything.