The Geek Haven sketch thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
It's about a little boy who runs away from home because he doesn't want his dinner and learns a lot of valuable lessons along the way (mainly don't run away from home for something stupid). Originally I based it on Dr Suess places you'll go but it kind of evolved. I wasn't going to write my own story but I had a long chat with Jonny Duddle a famous picture book author and the new Harry Potter book cover artist and he persuaded me to give it a go.
very cool!

B17

Mar 15, 2015
I cant seem to get the hang of watercolors. I feel like Im getting better on some level, but I dont know, not happy with it. I think Ive been fucking around with them for so long now, and not focusing on drawing, that my drawing is regressing, lol.

buicken

Apr 22, 2015
Good paper will make a big difference with watercolors. Unfortunately, good paper ain't cheap, and like beer, its hard to go back to the cheap stuff . I have had good results with watercolor pencils on Bristol board. youtube watercolor pencil technique. basically, you draw with pencil, then add a tiny bit of water with a brush. Good comic inking paper is smooth, to give a crisp clean line, that is a not so good paper for watercolors tho, they tend to run all over the place.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
Also stretching paper makes a difference. It takes a long time to go from Sunday water colourist to being very good water colourist. Don't be hard on yourself it's all practice. Love the Tmnt perspective

B17

Mar 15, 2015
I hear you. I am not good enough to use the nice paper. It really is just a hobby as you say, so it will take me a long time to get good. Todd Nauck has some cool watercoloring vids that I like watching...he has a style I try to emulate a bit.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
I wasn't calling you a hobbyist mate sorry if it came across that way I just meant in general. Yeah Nauck is great ,Dustin nyugen is a good one to look at too he doesn't use warm or cool colours at all really so you can really see the bare bones of his painting style to learn from, he has an Instagram duss005 . Keep at it we can see the improvements even if you can't. I find that myself you get too close to it or critical and miss the good stuff.

B17

Mar 15, 2015
No worries, it really is a hobby. I'm not payed nor should I be, lol.

buicken

Apr 22, 2015
After seeing some trippy colored Kirby stuff, I wanted to play too. This is something James Rubino sent me to color

Last edited:

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
luke 1 copy.jpg Had a go at a Jeff Delgado style illustration from a movie screen shot. Lots I need to work on but was fun to do. All painted from scratch in Photoshop.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
Had a go at painting Kit Fitso one of the less sucky characters from the prequels. Really used it as an experiment to try new lighting and textures so that's why theres not much of a tonal similarity on the skin with the background, it should be a lot bluer if he's underwater lol. Painted in Photoshop.