Lifestyle the global warming thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
So, one of my coworkers tells me "Do you know this is the 1st time in 148 years that Chicago got not had recordable snow in January or February?"

For the amount of years we get bent over, having a nice placid one is pretty nice imo.

Now let's just this in a geological perspective. 148 years. What the fuck is that in terms of geology? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. It's a blink of the eye, and the people that act like they understand it all, are fucking laughable.

We are so astonishingly ignorant as a race of creatures.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Staying in the context of geologic time, as recently as 11,000 years ago Chicago was under a massive ice sheet (the Wisconsin glacial episode). As that episode ended and the glaciers receded, the Great Lakes were formed, and also some of our major river systems in North America.

I'd be cool with a year of not as much snow :)

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
Staying in the context of geologic time, as recently as 11,000 years ago Chicago was under a massive ice sheet (the Wisconsin glacial episode). As that episode ended and the glaciers receded, the Great Lakes were formed, and also some of our major river systems in North America.

I'd be cool with a year of not as much snow :)
Wait, so you are telling me the Earth has been warming for 11000 years? Even without the help of human pollution for the greateat part of that?

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Wait, so you are telling me the Earth has been warming for 11000 years?
Yes
Even without the help of human pollution for the greateat part of that?
Sort of, but it isn't that simplistic. There is a difference between gradual climate change (Milankovich cycles, changes in volcanic activity intensity/duration, etc.) and rapid climate change (e.g. emitting copious amounts of greenhouse gasses). Rapid climate change can and has occurred naturally, but we aren't experiencing the the volcanic or earth axis shift catalysts during the current warming episode. Whether it is rapid or gradual, or natural or anthropogenic, there is a direct association with CO2 levels and global temperature.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

No it isnt smarty pants.

When I was a kid we had a miniature pinscher that lived to be 15 or 16. Most make it more like 12-13.
7 years gets that dog up to about 105 with the average being 84.

Your chart wants me to believe my little dog that liked to go eat cat crap down at the neighbors house really lived to be over 225 yeras old.

What lies are you pushing here?
No wonder you use Cricket.

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
When I was a kid we had a miniature pinscher that lived to be 15 or 16. Most make it more like 12-13.
7 years gets that dog up to about 105 with the average being 84.

Your chart wants me to believe my little dog that liked to go eat cat crap down at the neighbors house really lived to be over 225 yeras old.

What lies are you pushing here?
No wonder you use Cricket.
First off I pay 45 dollars a month for unlimited talk and text with 8 gb of data and they use ATT network. If youbwant to overpay thats your problem.

Here is a better chart to show how the age progression of dogs is not proportional as they age.

Now back on topic Doc.

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
Yes

Sort of, but it isn't that simplistic. There is a difference between gradual climate change (Milankovich cycles, changes in volcanic activity intensity/duration, etc.) and rapid climate change (e.g. emitting copious amounts of greenhouse gasses). Rapid climate change can and has occurred naturally, but we aren't experiencing the the volcanic or earth axis shift catalysts during the current warming episode. Whether it is rapid or gradual, or natural or anthropogenic, there is a direct association with CO2 levels and global temperature.
I agree, I amnsure part of it is man made but in no way is it even close to as bad as certain people, people that profit from it like Al Gore and Nancy Pelosi, claim it to be. Most of the gains western countries have made in the last 50 years with better pollution control has been negated by countries such as China that gave no fucks about emmissions.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
First off I pay 45 dollars a month for unlimited talk and text with 8 gb of data and they use ATT network. If youbwant to overpay thats your problem.
I love you!
I pay extra because the AT&T girl told me too and that's as good a reason as any.

Here is a better chart to show how the age progression of dogs is not proportional as they age.
WebMD?
mofo please. Doctors don't know anything about dog years.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Most of the gains western countries have made in the last 50 years with better pollution control has been negated by countries such as China that gave no fucks about emmissions
That is probably true. China is pumping out way more CO2 than anyone else. Although I think the U.S. has the highest emissions per capita.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
That is probably true. China is pumping out way more CO2 than anyone else. Although I think the U.S. has the highest emissions per capita.

Which really highlights the comedy of any plan involving credits and not holding China (or others) to the same standard as the west.

If you do a credit system and allow developing nations to not be penalized as hard, all you have done is moved industrial output from develop westernize Nations that have much cleaner factories to places like China that have much dirty or factories.

The economic incentives are all wrong in such plans.

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
Which really highlights the comedy of any plan involving credits and not holding China (or others) to the same standard as the west.

If you do a credit system and allow developing nations to not be penalized as hard, all you have done is moved industrial output from develop westernize Nations that have much cleaner factories to places like China that have much dirty or factories.

Its so simple yet so many people are blind to this fact.

M

member 1013

lmao, I was making you a pie chart when photoshop shit this out.
It makes less sense, but is way more official looking.

That's supposed to be classified

Did you "tapp" my wires

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015

Here's the icing on the cake.

The greener alternative to coal is natural gas. Because we're going to have a, let's call it "retarded" carbon tax. Our natural gas is now too expensive for China to even consider a transition to. It's literally having the opposite effect than it's supposed to.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I do like the 148 year reference. They make it sound so significant, like it gives it that much more "weight". All I think is "Well what the hell happened in 1869 - or the 40 or 50 years prior - that fucked up the earth's temperature?"

Nothing? It just happened? Hmm. That's weird.

I'm a self-admitted tree hugger. I love nature. I hate pollution. So while I roll my eyes at the scare tactics that the global warming nutjobs love to use, I'm all about being kind to Mother Earth. But don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.