Lifestyle The GOAT cuisine per continent in your opinion

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
You don't get authentic Italian grub in NA?
Without sounding condescending. You only get authentic Italian grub in Italy. When people were leaving Italy the ingredients were left behind too. As recipes have been passed down through the generations they've been North American versions of their Italian originals. You can get those ingredients here now, but they weren't as readily available in the 40s and 50s. French Canadian and American (Cajun) foods are fare that were developed in North America.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Without sounding condescending. You only get authentic Italian grub in Italy. When people were leaving Italy the ingredients were left behind too. As recipes have been passed down through the generations they've been North American versions of their Italian originals. You can get those ingredients here now, but they weren't as readily available in the 40s and 50s. French Canadian and American (Cajun) foods are fare that were developed in North America.

Not condescending at all kinda weird though, my ancestors we brought from India to Fiji 120+ years ago and still managed to bring their ingredients with them and they were much poorer/less resourceful than Italians tend to be. Are you talking about small goods?

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
I'm in an English pub

In America

Ordered Indian food
There's an Irish gastropub called The Gage on Michigan Avenue that I used to work at. Their mussels vindaloo are fucking great. Order with extra toast to soak up the vindalooy goodness. Spicy level is about 6 out of 10, but they are delicious.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
There's an Irish gastropub called The Gage on Michigan Avenue that I used to work at. Their mussels vindaloo are fucking great. Order with extra toast to soak up the vindalooy goodness. Spicy level is about 6 out of 10, but they are delicious.
That sounds gross, dafarq is an Irish pub serving a Portuguese/Southern Indian dish anyway?

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
That sounds gross, dafarq is an Irish pub serving a Portuguese/Southern Indian dish anyway?
England has a large Indian population. Aside from fish and chips, tea, and crumpets, that is a great presentation of Indian cuisine there. Possibly the best outside of India itself.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
England has a large Indian population. Aside from fish and chips, tea, and crumpets, that is a great presentation of Indian cuisine there. Possibly the best outside of India itself.
Ive heard that they are good but no way they are the best outside India. Shit India doesnt even produce the best Indian food. These are the countries (where Indian indentured laborers were sent by the Brits) which do;

Guyana
Trinidad
Barbados
South Africa
Fiji

The only problem with our versions of Indian food is that its too hot for folk like yourself and we're too pig headed unlike Indians to tone it down.

Eat it our way of fuck off is the sentiment.

Australia has the absolute WORST indian food ever, reason being that to migrate from India to Australia you need a decent degree preferably a post grad degree and employer sponsorship meaning you dont really get Indians working as chefs here, all our "indian" chefs are Pakistani and Afghan refugee types who cook northern Indian cuisine.

Southern Indian is where its at, those other countries I listed are heavily influenced by Southern Indian cuisine due to the climate being similar IE hot tropical places.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Not condescending at all kinda weird though, my ancestors we brought from India to Fiji 120+ years ago and still managed to bring their ingredients with them and they were much poorer/less resourceful than Italians tend to be. Are you talking about small goods?
Different situation. Internment camps and only allowing working males to immigrate have a long term effect on things like that. When Italians immigrated here it was very much "you're lucky were taking you" situation.

It's also worth noting that Italian food can't really be the best North America food under the parameters that were at forth in the OP.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
That sounds pretty badass.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Found 1 place that does mussels but it's that style not Indian. More of a red curry broth.

Currently sat here trying to decide what to eat.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
At a restaurant that has indo-mexican food.

Just ordered normal Indian food tho.

One could only imagine how Indian /Mexican hybrid food would make me shit like a baboon

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
At a restaurant that has indo-mexican food.

Just ordered normal Indian food tho.

One could only imagine how Indian /Mexican hybrid food would make me shit like a baboon
LOL when I was first with the ex we wanted to open a Korean Indian fusion restaurant. That was the worst fucking idea ever those two cuisines have zero cross over in terms of ingredients and cook techniques.

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
If you're ever hungover in Chicago, go to the Gage and get a Scotch Egg. Best. Hangover. Food. Ever.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
If you're ever hungover in Chicago, go to the Gage and get a Scotch Egg. Best. Hangover. Food. Ever.
Ill take your scotch eggs and raise you....

In your case just dont add any raw sliced peppers, a little bit (or a lot) of the hot sauce should bring you back to life.

Or you could stop drinking too much :)

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
Ill take your scotch eggs and raise you....

In your case just dont add any raw sliced peppers, a little bit (or a lot) of the hot sauce should bring you back to life.

Or you could stop drinking too much :)
No idea what that is, but it looks tasty.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
No idea what that is, but it looks tasty.
Vietnamese beef noodle soup AKA Pho pronounced Faaaaaar, to order in Viet ask for "Pho tai lai" or just point to number 24 or whatever it is on the menu.

There's a good place (according to Yelp) on 1010 W Argyle St, is that far from you?