The Great Outdoors

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
What's the process?
Pretty simple, really.
Drill a hole into a maple tree and insert a spile. Hang a bucket underneath to catch the sap.

20240211_133911.jpg

Cover the opening with plastic to try to keep out bugs and rain. Next year I think I'll run tubes through the bucket lids and just leave the bucket on the ground. Easier and cleaner.

I drill the hole about hip-height - so 3 to 4' off the ground. I try to target an area above an exposed root or below a large branch - that usually facilitates larger amounts of sap because the tree is "feeding" that area.

When the nights are in the 20s and the days are sunny and in the 40s - that's when you get solid amounts of sap from the tree. I just check it after work - empty the bucket into a secondary container that I keep in my basement where it's cooler. When the conditions are right, you'll get plenty of sap. I've gotten as much as 3 gallons in a single day.

Once you have enough, you boil it down to evaporate the water. This process leaves the sugars behind. The ratio from a sugar maple is roughly 40:1. So for every 40 gallons of sap you collect you'll net 1 gallon of syrup when finished. Yesterday's boil was about 2 gallons - which will net me roughly 6 to 7 ounces of syrup.

The boiling process is where you'll see the most variations. Some people build elaborate "sugar shacks" to do it. Some people boil it off with a propane tank as the heat source. My way is the most primitive - just a pot over an open fire. My method can produce more of a "smoky" flavored syrup due to the open fire, but I actually prefer that taste over an Aunt Jamima syrup you get from the store. I use the open fire until most of it's boiled down - then I'll finish the last bit on the kitchen stove top where I have a little more control over what's going on.

The boil is time consuming - but anything that gets me outside is good for my soul.

Last edited:

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Ain't nothing like some REAL homemade maple syrup. Wish I had the hook up. Then again, nothing like some fresh-caught vacuum sealed red salmon from Alaska. Hmm. Just sitting here in Petersburg, Alaska pondering. Ya know, I heard some scoundrels even sneak killer Alaskan Matanuskan Thunderfuck weed in their frozen salmon packages to the lower-48. Frankly, it sickens me. But, maple syrup on smoked red salmon does do the trick. Uhhhh... yeah..
hell yeah, man.
can't do it this year though because life got in the way and I was late to the sap collection window. My last opportunity of the season looks like it will be Wednesday and Thursday of this week. But I'm not anticipating a surplus.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Not a good yield, but I got enough for pancakes tomorrow. Haha. I might have boiled too long. I can always add some water if it's too thick.

Hopefully I can get good sap runs next week and I can do it all again.

20240224_125004.jpg

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Pretty simple, really.
Drill a hole into a maple tree and insert a spile. Hang a bucket underneath to catch the sap.

View attachment 94989

Cover the opening with plastic to try to keep out bugs and rain. Next year I think I'll run tubes through the bucket lids and just leave the bucket on the ground. Easier and cleaner.

I drill the hole about hip-height - so 3 to 4' off the ground. I try to target an area above an exposed root or below a large branch - that usually facilitates larger amounts of sap because the tree is "feeding" that area.

When the nights are in the 20s and the days are sunny and in the 40s - that's when you get solid amounts of sap from the tree. I just check it after work - empty the bucket into a secondary container that I keep in my basement where it's cooler. When the conditions are right, you'll get plenty of sap. I've gotten as much as 3 gallons in a single day.

Once you have enough, you boil it down to evaporate the water. This process leaves the sugars behind. The ratio from a sugar maple is roughly 40:1. So for every 40 gallons of sap you collect you'll net 1 gallon of syrup when finished. Yesterday's boil was about 2 gallons - which will net me roughly 6 to 7 ounces of syrup.

The boiling process is where you'll see the most variations. Some people build elaborate "sugar shacks" to do it. Some people boil it off with a propane tank as the heat source. My way is the most primitive - just a pot over an open fire. My method can produce more of a "smoky" flavored syrup due to the open fire, but I actually prefer that taste over an Aunt Jamima syrup you get from the store. I use the open fire until most of it's boiled down - then I'll finish the last bit on the kitchen stove top where I have a little more control over what's going on.

The boil is time consuming - but anything that gets me outside is good for my soul.
Once you're done I'm assuming you remove the spile. How long until you can harvest from the same tree again? How many gallons approximately from any given tree?

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Once you're done I'm assuming you remove the spile. How long until you can harvest from the same tree again? How many gallons approximately from any given tree?
Yeah. You take the spile out. The hole heals. You can drill the same tree every year, but they say not to go in the same hole.

Quantity depends on the size of the tree and temperature conditions, but you'll get between 20 to 80 gallons of sap per season on a single tap. I hang 5 gallon buckets, and in a single day I've nearly filled them with a single tap. Other days you check and you got nothing. It's all about temperature swings. Optimal is like a 15 to 20 degree night followed by a sunny 40+ degree day.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Anyone in the eclipse path today? My backyard gets 46 seconds of totality. Took off work.

Clear skies at tge moment. I'm so fucking pumped for this

Discomboobulated

Mama Mia
Jul 17, 2021
I'm not in the direct path (and I don't have any special glasses, and didn't build a cardboard box viewer), but my area is described like this:

"...will see a maximum percentage coverage of about 94% at the peak of the eclipse around 2:07pm. Starting at 12:51pm, you'll notice the Moon approaching the Sun."

Even though it's not recommended, I'm still going to take a quick snapshot at the darkest moment with my cellphone. It won't take more than a second.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Nothing but gray skies here.
Dude. That was INSANE.
100% the coolest thing I've ever seen in nature.

Spotted 3 planets during the eclipse.

We had about 20 folks over. Decided to build a fire about 10 minutes before totality. Everything worked out. Clear skies. An owl called when it got dark at 3 pm. Fucking nuts.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
My 13 year old niece took this pic:

1000008514.jpg

So glad my nieces and nephews were here to experience this moment. They were so amazed when it went dark at 3 pm and tge corona surrounded the moon.

Likely an event they'll never forget.

Last edited:

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
First is the pond approaching Totality.
This event eclipsed 2017.

Pond half totality-2 copy.JPGTotality Closeup-1.JPG

Judobill

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I came the closest I’ve ever gotten to a hole in one today. Par 3, 128 yards. You can see my divot on the left of the pic. I could hear it hit the pin. IMG_6765.jpeg

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
It gets dark every night, unless you're in Alaska. I fail to see what the hype is about.
The corona when the moon was completely blocking the sun was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

The darkness and temp drop in the middle of the day was cool too. Being able to see planets/stars at 3 PM and then also have all the nightlife creatures start calling out was pretty wild. And then 2 minutes later it was all back to normal.

But that corona at totality, dude? It was surreal. I now understand why people travel great distances for a chance to see it.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
The corona when the moon was completely blocking the sun was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

The darkness and temp drop in the middle of the day was cool too. Being able to see planets/stars at 3 PM and then also have all the nightlife creatures start calling out was pretty wild. And then 2 minutes later it was all back to normal.

But that corona at totality, dude? It was surreal. I now understand why people travel great distances for a chance to see it.
It was incredible.
Like I said, it 'eclipsed' 2017.
We still needed glasses for that.
This was like Mayan end-of-the-world religion- making stuff.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
It was incredible.
Like I said, it 'eclipsed' 2017.
We still needed glasses for that.
This was like Mayan end-of-the-world religion- making stuff.
Yeah. When everything went dark and you took those glasses off everyone was like "Holy Shit!"

I can't imagine ancient times seeing that. I'm sure they thought the world was ending.