The Great Outdoors

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 3289

Nice! Did you get to see him puff out the red dewlap under his throat?

I think only the males do that, so if you saw the dewlap he may have been trying to mate with you :D
Males have the pinkish red dewlap, females have the vertical spinal line like you see from the little princess above

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
fell over in a snowstorm when young?
bent to ground?
new growth vertical?
just guessing

very cool tree
The one in back of it has a similar, less pronounced bend. I think a tree fell on them when they were young, then nature continued as you described.

M

member 3289

Ok this app is a must-have for outdoorsmen imo. Women of TMMAC you can tell your husbands about it.

It's called Sun Position, Sunrise, and Sunset Demo (there's also a paid version but the demo/free one works fine for me). Basically it gives you the position of the Sun in your or any other location at any time of day. It will also tell you the sunrise/sunset times for the current day, plus all that shit I just mentioned for the moon as well.

Here's what the basic sun position mode looks like:

If you're on Android, here's the link - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andymstone.sunpositiondemo

If you're on Apple, just search the name. The developer is called "Stonekick".

M

member 3289

Nice, I didn’t even notice the spinal line at first glance but see it now
There is a thriving population of green anoles in Miami-Dade county thanks to the introduction and "hybridization" of Cuban green anoles (Anolis Porcatus). A 2018 study recently showed that South Miami green anoles have 35% Porcatus DNA and 65% native green anole (Anolis Carolinensis) DNA.

At first it seems like this wouldn't be a good thing, as it's yet another invasive. But the thing is, Anolis Porcatus and Anolis Carolinensis are indistinguishable on a morphological level, even by experienced herpetologists. BUT Porcatus grows slightly larger than Carolinensis, making it better equipped to defend itself against brown anoles (Anolis Sagrei).

I say if you can't tell them apart and they can reproduce and make viable offspring then they're the same thing, so I welcome the Cuban greenies.

This is a green anole caught in Miami-Dade just last week. It's a little north of the typical range for Carolinensis × Porcatus hybrids, but judging by how fookin massive it is, I'd say it's most likely a hybrid:

lueVelvet @lueVelvet you'd probably be interested in this. Also if either of you is interested in the research study, let me know and I'll send you a link to it.

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
There is a thriving population of green anoles in Miami-Dade county thanks to the introduction and "hybridization" of Cuban green anoles (Anolis Porcatus). A 2018 study recently showed that South Miami green anoles have 35% Porcatus DNA and 65% native green anole (Anolis Carolinensis) DNA.

At first it seems like this wouldn't be a good thing, as it's yet another invasive. But the thing is, Anolis Porcatus and Anolis Carolinensis are indistinguishable on a morphological level, even by experienced herpetologists. BUT Porcatus grows slightly larger than Carolinensis, making it better equipped to defend itself against brown anoles (Anolis Sagrei).

I say if you can't tell them apart and they can reproduce and make viable offspring then they're the same thing, so I welcome the Cuban greenies.

This is a green anole caught in Miami-Dade just last week. It's a little north of the typical range for Carolinensis × Porcatus hybrids, but judging by how fookin massive it is, I'd say it's most likely a hybrid:

lueVelvet @lueVelvet you'd probably be interested in this. Also if either of you is interested in the research study, let me know and I'll send you a link to it.
That's very interesting! I know people used to think that A.sagrei would breed with A.carolinensis thus polluting the gene pool but they never found evidence of it. While I do prefer species to remain "pure" and not hybridize I don't think it's reasonable in an era of invasive species taking to the Florida eco-systems so well. Good find...

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016

That is a fat anole! Damn! They are much more slender here. Hybridization is pretty common in lizards/amphibians.

My company has a team of salamander biologists that do research on Eurycea salamanders, and while there are multiple distinct species, the genetics indicate hybridization occurs and has for a long time.

Please link study, I am interested to read it. One our biologists was a consultant in FLA, and I think he may have some experience with these guys.

M

member 3289

That is a fat anole! Damn! They are much more slender here. Hybridization is pretty common in lizards/amphibians.

My company has a team of salamander biologists that do research on Eurycea salamanders, and while there are multiple distinct species, the genetics indicate hybridization occurs and has for a long time.

Please link study, I am interested to read it. One our biologists was a consultant in FLA, and I think he may have some experience with these guys.
Yeah I'm used to the skinny ones as well. I didn't even know green anoles could get that big.

(PDF) Hybridization and rapid differentiation after secondary contact between the native green anole (Anolis carolinensis) and the introduced green anole (Anolis porcatus)

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
M

member 3289

There are tons of species of anoles all throughout South America. Have you seen the Cuban Knight anoles down your way?
A. Equestris are all over down here. They're slow and would be easy to catch but they're gigantic and I've heard their bite fucking hurts so I haven't tried to catch one lol.

I probably see at least one a day most days. They seem to really like sabal palms

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
FINALLY heading back to the woods for the weekend. Hoping the fall leaves are still on the trees. Will post pics if I have service.

M

member 3289

FINALLY heading back to the woods for the weekend. Hoping the fall leaves are still on the trees. Will post pics if I have service.
Grandpa,

You can take pictures with your phone and then post them later if you don't have service. You don't need to have cell reception to use the camera on your phone.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Thanks for the tip @conor mcgregor nut hugger but I actually have service. Clear night. I'm the only one here tonight and I just heard something huffing in the woods.

I went back to the truck and got my gun. I'm now camping with a loaded .38 in my pocket. Haha.

It's amazing the shit you hear when you are alone in the woods.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Thanks for the tip @conor mcgregor nut hugger but I actually have service. Clear night. I'm the only one here tonight and I just heard something huffing in the woods.

I went back to the truck and got my gun. I'm now camping with a loaded .38 in my pocket. Haha.

It's amazing the shit you hear when you are alone in the woods.

there is a demon in the smoke in this image...are you on a burial site?

I think the huffing was probably just a bigfoot in rut .

Last edited: