The Great Outdoors

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I know in our area people tend to leave trail cameras around on public land.
Most people are respectful I am sure, just haven't done it myself.
Where I put them is private property in the boonies of NorCal...I just have never placed on on public land myself.

Black Bear drank a gallon of olive oil, tore open a gas can and maybe tried to drink it, and busted up a table at my pops place about a month ago...They have his picture and he looks like about 300 ish pounds...most of the animals there are malnourished and packed with parasites so it isn't a good hunting spot(high desert climate).

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Found out where the Whistle Pig lives.
I need to get my good camera out here.

20200710_181945.jpg

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Gopher tortoise burrow

View attachment 8816

Next time I'll take the long trail and hopefully spot a tortoise or two. I didn't think I'd be stopping at this scrub land so I just wore sneakers and not my hiking boots. Next time the fire ants won't be so god damn lucky
Lol at you posting sand.

I caught these two a few blocks from home.
Screenshot_20200710-154719_Gallery.jpg

Then this guy was at my front door yesterday.

Screenshot_20200710-154810_Gallery.jpg

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Estimate tree height with a yard/meter stick

View: https://youtu.be/cDy5OjfMfZ8
I do this but I use an axe. Grab the handle at the distance that matches my chin to my grip, then hold it straight up with the bottom at eye level and walk until the top of the tree lines up with the top of the axe handle, which would essentially be a 45 degree angle where the horizontal and vertical legs of the "triangle" are the same. The tree can't fall any further than where you are standing.

I use this method to make sure I'm not going to hit a house or a vehicle. It's accurate - providing the ground is fairly level. I've had people swear I was gonna hit a house but using this method I pinpointed where it would fall which was about 20' short, just where their patio started. They still moved all the patio furniture because they didn't believe me, even after I explained the math.

I enjoyed a beer while they all moved the furniture back after it landed exactly where I said it would.

Last edited:

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Found this bad boy hanging out in my day lilies. Because real men have day lilies.

MVIMG_20200712_200846_1.jpg

I also apparently haven't killed my carnivorous plant, so that's a big win.
MVIMG_20200712_201828.jpg

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Found this bad boy hanging out in my day lilies. Because real men have day lilies.

View attachment 9896

I also apparently haven't killed my carnivorous plant, so that's a big win.
View attachment 9897
we have a ton of flowers cause the lady likes em...people stare at our yard for flowers and berries...they sometimes stop and take pictures...flowers are cool, no shame in the game

great photo
I buy a pod or two of mantis at the garden store, they hatch and release a ton of tiny ones.
barely ever see them though
they either get eaten when small or get decent and fly away to other yards

that plant wants to live IMO...dump it out and put it in some neutral soil and see if it recovers

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
we have a ton of flowers cause the lady likes em...people stare at our yard for flowers and berries...they sometimes stop and take pictures...flowers are cool, no shame in the game

great photo
I buy a pod or two of mantis at the garden store, they hatch and release a ton of tiny ones.
barely ever see them though
they either get eaten when small or get decent and fly away to other yards

that plant wants to live IMO...dump it out and put it in some neutral soil and see if it recovers
You dont put them in soil.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
that plant?

what is the plant in then? looks like soil.

never mind thought it said you had killed your plant
just read that you hadn't killed your plant...congrats.
It's a peat/perlite mix or some shit for carnivorous plants.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
ordered some spin casters for the kids. Dug out an old tackle box that has some line, hooks, shot, and bobbers, I'll build it out a little more when I know where we're going to fish. But shouldn't need much more than some live bait a bunch of patience. Probably need to practice putting hooks on lines.

any ideas on what I should put in there? It's just a little 2-tray Flambeau tackle box, but should be enough for some shore fishing.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
ordered some spin casters for the kids. Dug out an old tackle box that has some line, hooks, shot, and bobbers, I'll build it out a little more when I know where we're going to fish. But shouldn't need much more than some live bait a bunch of patience. Probably need to practice putting hooks on lines.

any ideas on what I should put in there? It's just a little 2-tray Flambeau tackle box, but should be enough for some shore fishing.
Needle nose.
Knife