The Great Outdoors

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
There is a little lake I’ve been taking my daughter to. I give her a little hook and bait it with a worm, while I use big baits and go for trophy bass. She catches a bunch of sunfish while I catch nothing. The other day she said “I caught three fish Daddy and you haven’t got any.” Then she thought for a second and said “You’re still nice Daddy. You just don’t know how to fish.”
Next time we go, I’m going for sunfish and I’m going to humiliate her.
Real men catch brim and use them as bait around here.

M

member 3289

Stay in your lane goof.

Bream vs. sunfish. In the US, bream(pronounced brim) is a common name that encompasses several of the larger Lepomissunfishes. These usually include Bluegill and Redear Sunfish. Anglers often call the same species different names based on their life forms: large colorful males can be called bream, while smaller individuals of the same species are dismissed as perch, sun perch, or some other misnomer. This is particularly common in the Southern US, where many state management agencies manage all sunfish with the same regulations as simply bream. But don’t go to Europe and talk about bream fishin’ for Bluegill—there is actually an officially recognized species called Bream. It’s scientific name is Abramis brama, and it’s actually a species of minnow (yes, there are MANY minnow species, but that’s a subject for another article).
I didn't read any of this. The fish you caught is a bream

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
Real men catch brim and use them as bait around here.
I bought this sunfish top bait the other day. I went to a new lake and used it yesterday. It’s fun to fish but I didn’t catch anything.
598864B1-623D-49BD-A6E8-E6B4A8C63190.png

It’s awesome for the kayak. It casts a good distance and it just skips over weeds.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
So if I make my way down there are you gonna for a Nilgai hunt, or.....?
Listening to the podcast from that episode

It is a low fence ranch apparently

30-40,000 in Texas...100,000 in India

Meateater Podcast #202...I really enjoy JT, he is a helluva angler...soo much knowledge

Last edited:

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
The Salmon hunt begins today. I had fishing dreams all night. In one, I caught a huge salmon and as I took it off the hook, it turned into a dog and ran away. Probably the same type of stress dream my ancient fore fathers had the night before a big hunt.

Ancient ancestors please look down upon me today and give me the strength and courage to ensnare the salmon who’s essential fats and oils my family will need to gird their bodies against the harsh Canadian winter. Smile down on me. Your boy will make you proud.
44A75CD5-778D-4C8A-AF95-735FAAA8DCC4.jpeg

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Enchanted Rock (State Park in the Hill Country area of central Texas, near Fredericksburg)
E Rock 2.JPG

Enchanted rock is comprised of a igneous (granite) intrusion/pluton that covers about 650 acres. We don't have many igneous rocks around here, it is mostly sedimentary rocks (predominantly limestone). This granite is significantly more resistant to weathering/erosion processes than limestone, and this is a remnant structure as hundreds of feet of Cretaceous-age limestone have eroded away and ultimately exposing the pluton.

Enchanted Rock is well documented in Texas folkore, and was utilized by native Americans such as the Tonkawa, Comanche, and Apache. The top of the hill was used as a strategic defense position for both native Americans, and the military of the Republic of Texas (1800s).

Native Americans believed the rock to have spiritual powers, hence the name "Enchanted Rock". As the sun sets at night (particularly in the warmer months), the bedrock formation creaks and crackles, and this helped support the idea of it having spiritual powers. What is really going on though is that the rock formation bakes in the sun all day, and then as the sun sets at night it begins to cool and contract causing the audible creaks and cracks. It's actually pretty cool to witness.

Today the park is mostly used for hiking, rock climbing, caving, and wildlife watching.

You guys been out here before? Splinty @Splinty ThatOneDude @ThatOneDude

M

member 3289

The Salmon hunt begins today. I had fishing dreams all night. In one, I caught a huge salmon and as I took it off the hook, it turned into a dog and ran away. Probably the same type of stress dream my ancient fore fathers had the night before a big hunt.

Ancient ancestors please look down upon me today and give me the strength and courage to ensnare the salmon who’s essential fats and oils my family will need to gird their bodies against the harsh Canadian winter. Smile down on me. Your boy will make you proud.
View attachment 15906
*whose*

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Enchanted Rock (State Park in the Hill Country area of central Texas, near Fredericksburg)
View attachment 15917

Enchanted rock is comprised of a igneous (granite) intrusion/pluton that covers about 650 acres. We don't have many igneous rocks around here, it is mostly sedimentary rocks (predominantly limestone). This granite is significantly more resistant to weathering/erosion processes than limestone, and this is a remnant structure as hundreds of feet of Cretaceous-age limestone have eroded away and ultimately exposing the pluton.

Enchanted Rock is well documented in Texas folkore, and was utilized by native Americans such as the Tonkawa, Comanche, and Apache. The top of the hill was used as a strategic defense position for both native Americans, and the military of the Republic of Texas (1800s).

Native Americans believed the rock to have spiritual powers, hence the name "Enchanted Rock". As the sun sets at night (particularly in the warmer months), the bedrock formation creaks and crackles, and this helped support the idea of it having spiritual powers. What is really going on though is that the rock formation bakes in the sun all day, and then as the sun sets at night it begins to cool and contract causing the audible creaks and cracks. It's actually pretty cool to witness.

Today the park is mostly used for hiking, rock climbing, caving, and wildlife watching.

You guys been out here before? Splinty @Splinty ThatOneDude @ThatOneDude
Never been but sounds like a good place to take my son when he gets older. Thanks for the info.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

View attachment 15906

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Never been but sounds like a good place to take my son when he gets older. Thanks for the info.
Indeed it would be a good place for that. I took my son out there when he was small enough to be in one of those hiking backpack carriers. But if the kid is a little older, the hiking isn’t intense. Really pretty out there.
Fredericksburg is growing and filling in, so it’s not as quaint as it used to be. But they have some German restaurants with good beer, there are wineries/vineyards if you’re into that kind of thing, and lots of cool little rental cabins if you wanted to go for a weekend or something. The Garrison Bros whiskey distillery is also out that way ?, and it’s kind of a cool tour if your into bourbon. And as made famous by Willie Nelson, the tiny town of Luckenbach is just a few minutes away.