Cinema The Handmaid's Tale

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

Set in a dystopian future, a woman is forced to live as a concubine under a fundamentalist theocratic dictatorship.

The first 3 episodes have been released on Hulu. This is some real haunting shit. Might be more depressing than The Leftovers. 10/10 would recommend so far.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017

Set in a dystopian future, a woman is forced to live as a concubine under a fundamentalist theocratic dictatorship.

The first 3 episodes have been released on Hulu. This is some real haunting shit. Might be more depressing than The Leftovers. 10/10 would recommend so far.
I don't really have time for anything else, but I keep hearing about good stuff on hulu...this seems cool

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
Is the handmaid Peggy from Mad Men?

...because pass, then, OK? This chick masquerading as a hot girl has gone on too long.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Is the handmaid Peggy from Mad Men?

...because pass, then, OK? This chick masquerading as a hot girl has gone on too long.
Yup. But they aren't trying to pass her off as some sort of sex symbol on this show. She's forced into slavery because she is one of the few women left in the country that's fertile.

Besmirch her name again and my boy yuki2054 @john2054 will have your head on a spike.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
Yup. But they aren't trying to pass her off as some sort of sex symbol on this show. She's forced into slavery because she is one of the few women left in the country that's fertile.

Besmirch her name again and my boy yuki2054 @john2054 will have your head on a spike.
LOL John2054 sounds like he has bigger problems.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Just watched the first episode. Looks very promising. The regime in charge seems to be a weird mix of religious extremist and environmental activist/anti-corporatist agenda, while also essentially being 19th century southern slave holders. It will be interesting where they go with that dynamic. I think they missed a beat on not having the women stone the rapist, though.

I hope they can keep up the inner paranoia in the internal monologues, but considering how quickly the relationship with the hand maiden she hated progressed I have some doubts. Any thoughts on the population of the U.S. in this? I'd assume a fairly drastic drop off for such an upheaval to take place, and perhaps to have never even reached the 300mil if fertility has been dropping off for a while. Are those 50 to 70 girls the only fertile girls in the U.S.? Or they a small part of thousands spread out across this regime?

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
This has been one of those shows that has been on my watchlist for a while but never got around to it until this COVID isolation. I'm loving it. Really interesting, thought-provoking, and well acted. I definitely recommend.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I diddnt like it.

Her face reminds me of Shawn from this is England

M

member 3289

This has been one of those shows that has been on my watchlist for a while but never got around to it until this COVID isolation. I'm loving it. Really interesting, thought-provoking, and well acted. I definitely recommend.
It's fucking depressing honestly but I'm hooked.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
maybe ill buy each season individually I don't want to subcribe to hulu again I don't like 90% of their original programs same with amazon I only like jack ryan,the expanse and the boys.