General The Looming National Security Crisis: Young Americans Unable to Serve in the Military

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
The military depends on a constant flow of volunteers every year. According to 2017 Pentagon data, 71 percent of young Americans between 17 and 24 are ineligible to serve in the United States military. Put another way: Over 24 million of the 34 million people of that age group cannot join the armed forces—even if they wanted to. This is an alarming situation that threatens the country’s fundamental national security. If only 29 percent of the nation’s young adults are qualified to serve, and if this trend continues, it is inevitable that the U.S. military will suffer from a lack of manpower. A manpower shortage in the United States Armed Forces directly compromises national security.
Fat, unhealthy Americans threaten Trump’s defense surge

Biggest problem...Kids just too fat and out of shape. At 18-24.

But health problems are the clearest impediment to military service — especially the alarming number of youngsters who are overweight.

"We need to increase physical fitness and better eating habits in schools," said retired Air Force Lt. Gen. Norm Seip, chairman of the Council for a Strong America, "and not get on that obesity scale that is going in the wrong direction."

The council is a bipartisan foundation made up of former law enforcement leaders, retired military officers, business executives, pastors and prominent coaches and athletes "who promote solutions that ensure our next generation of Americans will be citizen-ready."

In Army medicine we've been internally guided that if someone can't deploy or do a fitness test for 12 months, they are essentially permanently unusable. Whatever years its going to take for that medical issue to resolve is too long for the military. So these people are being moved out.
Mattis has just made that Armed Forces wide policy:

Mattis: Deploy-or-get-out rule is about fairness

You’re either deployable, or you need to find something else to do. I’m not going have some people deploying constantly and then other people, who seem to not pay that price, in the U.S. military,” Mattis told reporters Feb. 17 in his first comments on the issue since the new policy was formally introduced.

“If you can’t go overseas [and] carry a combat load, then obviously someone else has got to go. I want this spread fairly and expertly across the force.”

Under new rules first reported on by Military Times, military members who have been non-deployable for the past 12 months or more will be separated from the military.

Approximately 11 percent, or 235,000, of the 2.1 million personnel serving on active duty, in the reserves or National Guard are currently non-deployable, Command Sgt. Maj. John Troxell, the senior enlisted adviser to Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Joe Dunford, told Military Times earlier this month.

When I was deployed, I saw units that were rapidly below 80% strength due to medical readiness. That is, people with hidden medical problems presented themselves once in an deployed environment and unable to hide their issue. Now the mission and their peers are in danger. Not due to funding or training, but health.

The recruits are too fat.
Too many in are too fat and broken.

This is a disaster coming.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
If you join and can't deploy you should be discharged without GI bill, obviously that doesn't apply to injuries sustained in theatre or exercise. But if your only excuse is that you got fat or (more likely) you are just looking for any reason to not go then yea yuck that.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Just thinking about it now, I know an old dude who never deployed when he was in the Marines, he left a sergeant, it really bothered him he didn't get chance to go too. I'm not sure what the reason was, he was a good dude tho. I think it was just the timing or something. I'd ask him but I'd feel bad for bringing it up

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
This is interesting:

Physically fit recruits for Army are hard to find. Especially in these states

Citadel says these injuries aren't due to unique training, but rather unconditioned recruits.
There was a fat guy in my class during basic. I swear that fucker showed up the first week and wouldn't do more than 5 push ups or sit ups. It's crazy because they give you some gay ass plan to get in shape months before you get there. I was astounded by the number of people that were so far off the pass mark when we all arrived.

Fat lazy Navy bastards

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Fat, unhealthy Americans threaten Trump’s defense surge

Biggest problem...Kids just too fat and out of shape. At 18-24.

In Army medicine we've been internally guided that if someone can't deploy or do a fitness test for 12 months, they are essentially permanently unusable. Whatever years its going to take for that medical issue to resolve is too long for the military. So these people are being moved out.
Mattis has just made that Armed Forces wide policy:

Mattis: Deploy-or-get-out rule is about fairness

When I was deployed, I saw units that were rapidly below 80% strength due to medical readiness. That is, people with hidden medical problems presented themselves once in an deployed environment and unable to hide their issue. Now the mission and their peers are in danger. Not due to funding or training, but health.

The recruits are too fat.
Too many in are too fat and broken.

This is a disaster coming.
do some dudes intentionally injure themselves?

Know a guy who suspected a few guys did so to avoid patrols.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I read something last week about people joining the army and beibg unable to throw a grenade and the army deeming them unteachable.it was sayibg kids grow up without learning how to throw a ball and by the time they are adults its too late

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Not in my experience.
Maybe if shit's getting hot and you're in a particularly bad area without strong peer bonds. But by and large, everyone develops an altogether fatalistic mentality. Maybe the worst thing would be not "getting to go" while your friends get combat badges and are wrecking ISIS ass...or someone dies and you aren't there to try to save them. Either extreme is feared. You want to be with your bros.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I answered a little too concretely.
People without combat missions who are doing hard jobs bitch out all the time.
Got some manual labor to do? Definitely faking injuries and sickness.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Not in my experience.
Maybe if shit's getting hot and you're in a particularly bad area without strong peer bonds. But by and large, everyone develops an altogether fatalistic mentality. Maybe the worst thing would be not "getting to go" while your friends get combat badges and are wrecking ISIS ass...or someone dies and you aren't there to try to save them. Either extreme is feared. You want to be with your bros.
He spoke of a fractured environment where some guys were out for themselves and injured themselves...wasn't a majority but he said some guys wanted no part of it....it was "hot" as you say and some guys wanted to stay in base and avoid leaving.

this was many many years ago....maybe 14 years back

Shame we got so many fatties though...I would have been a high draft pick at that age...but that was before internet and pussification of murica

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I answered a little too concretely.
People without combat missions who are doing hard jobs bitch out all the time.
Got some manual labor to do? Definitely faking injuries and sickness.
ahh

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Just give them a couple joysticks and a keyboard. They'll figure it out from there.

You ever read about the psychological issues for drone pilots?

Apparently just a terribly screwed up isolating experience. High rates of PTSD with only recent identification and treatment.

Leave your home on base, go to 9-5 job. Shoot classified targets, killing people regularly on the other side of the world, clock out, go home to your wife and kids where you can't talk about what you just did.

Just totally detached from the historical pilot deployment and surrounding support.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
They should just cycle the fatties through basic training until they meet the requirements.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
I’d like to see the obesity by sex, age, and income level. I noticed here in Louisiana we have a higher obesity rate in low educated, low income, older females. Usually the males here work in plants, offshore, etc. and are of average fitness and weight. The females sit back home and cook and eat. It’s not an issue with my gen and younger because the girls usually go to the gym or have careers of their own.

I can go to Walmart any day of the week and see a bunch of old, fat Cajun women breathing heavy in the food aisles.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015

From my experience it's not so much the guys with injuries, you have people who are constantly downgraded for minor ailments. A friend of mines feet always used to hurt. So he'd go to the doctors all the time. Then he'd be on pills. The pills would restrict what he could do at work, then he'd get some easy desk job instead while he's on the pills, then he'd get fat because he can't run, then he can't deploy because he can't be medically cleared,

There's people that repeat this sort of cycle over and over.

On every sqn I've been on there always seemed to be a couple of people that always had something going on with them, and most of the time they were fat and always on the shit list

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
From my experience it's not so much the guys with injuries, you have people who are constantly downgraded for minor ailments. A friend of mines feet always used to hurt. So he'd go to the doctors all the time. Then he'd be on pills. The pills would restrict what he could do at work, then he'd get some easy desk job instead while he's on the pills, then he'd get fat because he can't run, then he can't deploy because he can't be medically cleared,

There's people that repeat this sort of cycle over and over.

On every sqn I've been on there always seemed to be a couple of people that always had something going on with them, and most of the time they were fat and always on the shit list
The funniest was “rear detachment” when deployed. I came back on leave and it was a thrown together unit of all the shitbags who found a way to avoid deployment. Then they acted like douchebags. One legit came to my room and asked why I wasn’t in formation the morning after i flew into Germany. Bitch I’m on leave and about to fly back state-side you dumb fucking shit bird. They were absolutely hilarious hobbling around the barracks and shit. Absolutely pitiful excuses for humans.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Nothing like the threat of being stuck in boot camp to motivate someone to lose weight and straighten up.
I like the idea, however, back to story time, when we went through we got this chick move into our class for the last 2 weeks or so. Basic for the navy was 9 weeks at the time and she had been there for 8 months.

She was a complete and utter Mong. Turned our drill to shit, but somehow she actually managed the last couple of weeks and made it through. I personally wouldn't trust her to work at McDonald's but after only 8 short months she got access to weapons. Yay!

(I'm gonna guess she got chucked out by now, at least I hope so).

My point is if someone can't get through basic they should Chuck them out now waste money rolling a turd in glitter.