IMG/GIF The merit of rewatching fights

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Ghost Bro

Wololo ~Leave no turn unstoned
Nov 13, 2015
Was bored out my mind today and listened to some luke thomas to kill the time, he was talking about the Anderson Brunson match and how he saw it again from the overhead camera and how the angle changed everything. Because of this, it is hard to judge a fight with the required accuracy.

Then I saw this:

Everybody thought Khabib got cracked here...turns out not so much. What are some recent fights you watched and made you change your thoughts/decision/opinion in a fight?

Ghost Bro

Nov 13, 2015
On a sidenote, this highlights how keeping correct posture and balance and not throwing wild/reacting panicked and shit can benefit a fighter. Brunson lost largely to his wildly attitude, everybody thought Khabib got rocked here...Also suggests how another fighter might use this to his advantage. Punching the guard or shoulder or whatever is common in boxing, used to put the opponent out of balance. In MMA where all forms of attack are allowed, will the future look like a JKD style with all kinds of traps etc?

Atto

Chinese Virus
Feb 11, 2016
Fedor vs Arlovski . Everbody thought he was tagging Fedor , but when it was shown in slow motion he was barely touching Fedor.
Also the gif you posted makes me sure it would be very easy for Conor to take Khabib out.

Ghost Bro

Nov 13, 2015
Fedor vs Arlovski . Everbody thought he was tagging Fedor , but when it was shown in slow motion he was barely touching Fedor.
Also the gif you posted makes me sure it would be very easy for Conor to take Khabib out.
Yeah he doesn't cover up real well does he?
That said, if he does get a hold of Conor its gonna be a bad time for him..very bad.

Atto

Chinese Virus
Feb 11, 2016
Yeah he doesn't cover up real well does he?
That said, if he does get a hold of Conor its gonna be a bad time for him..very bad.
I think his fight against Tony will tell a lot about what will happen in Conor fight.

Ghost Bro

Nov 13, 2015
I think his fight against Tony will tell a lot about what will happen in Conor fight.
Maybe, Tony's pretty damn good on the ground though..

Although his methods can be...weird...they are effective.

Last edited:

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Was bored out my mind today and listened to some luke thomas to kill the time, he was talking about the Anderson Brunson match and how he saw it again from the overhead camera and how the angle changed everything. Because of this, it is hard to judge a fight with the required accuracy.

Then I saw this:

Everybody thought Khabib got cracked here...turns out not so much. What are some recent fights you watched and made you change your thoughts/decision/opinion in a fight?
He was definitely wobbly in that fight

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
I'm fascinated by the way Luke Thomas can latch on to the fucking obvious and then angrily rant about it for 35 minutes despite his position always being about sitting on the fence to make himself seem wise.

He desperately wants to appear as a calm, rational thinker but his psychotic insistence on doing so has the opposite effect of making him seem unhinged.

Seriously, did he just figure out that MMA judging is almost completely subjective and that camera angles can give misleading impressions?

One thing that isn't subjective though is that Silva-Brunson was terrible. You can film a piece of shit from any angle, but it's still a piece of shit.

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
That's after how long of a lay off? there is ring rust and thats what i saw there.. and taking out a top 10 contender.

StillReal

My name is Mark.
Mar 19, 2016
Maybe, Tony's pretty damn good on the ground though..

Although his methods can be...weird...they are effective.
God damn, I always forget how insane he is until I see him fight again. Him vs. Khabib is one of the best fights we've had scheduled in years.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
Rewatching fights is fun as hell! Always provides info that I didn't see the first time. Let's me decide if the judges got it right or wrong. Unfortunately judging is not perfect and in the split seconds that judges get to view, sometimes it looks like a fighter got cracked when maybe they didn't. Hopefully I don't sound too much like Luke :p

strikingthoughts

Posting Machine
Dec 1, 2015
Joe embellishes quite often in fights when he thinks he sees a shot landed or someone is rocked/dazed/stunned/stoned/etc. Kinda wished I kept track of all those moments since I re-watch fights often to write about them. He actually does it a lot more than Goldie does. I don't blame him too much because it's hard to catch if you watch at a regular speed.

I can't remember too clearly, but I think a few of recent memory are Cruz vs T.J., Silva vs Bisping, Holloway vs Pettis, and more but I can't recall atm. I think i'll start keeping track to create a video showcasing a compilation of those moments (just for the hell of it).

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015

Then I saw this:

That right hand lands square on the jaw.

Ghost Bro

Nov 13, 2015
That right hand lands square on the jaw.
Looks more like shoulder from this angle, could be wrong though

edit: as an aside to this, glove variations would make strikes easier to see...with pride gloves its easier cos they were blueish...in boxing its also easy (bigger glove duh, but also custom gloves)..them 4oz are quite hard to see sometimes+ they can often get confuzing whose hand is whose

Last edited:

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Joe embellishes quite often in fights when he thinks he sees a shot landed or someone is rocked/dazed/stunned/stoned/etc. Kinda wished I kept track of all those moments since I re-watch fights often to write about them. He actually does it a lot more than Goldie does. I don't blame him too much because it's hard to catch if you watch at a regular speed.

I can't remember too clearly, but I think a few of recent memory are Cruz vs T.J., Silva vs Bisping, Holloway vs Pettis, and more but I can't recall atm. I think i'll start keeping track to create a video showcasing a compilation of those moments (just for the hell of it).
Yup. rogan is bad at one thing... once he decides something has happened in a fight, he's like a dog with a bone and will keep insisting on it even if he was wrong.
ironically, before the Sillva Brunson decision was announced he said something like he wished he had considered the judging of the rounds while commentating because it was difficult to do so and he wasn't sure who won...

Ghost Bro

Nov 13, 2015

that'd be hilarious

Kinda like this

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKqX7wCjQec

strikingthoughts

Posting Machine
Dec 1, 2015
Yup. rogan is bad at one thing... once he decides something has happened in a fight, he's like a dog with a bone and will keep insisting on it even if he was wrong.
ironically, before the Sillva Brunson decision was announced he said something like he wished he had considered the judging of the rounds while commentating because it was difficult to do so and he wasn't sure who won...
that's funny. I haven't watched that fight yet, i'm definitely going to watch it on mute when I do.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015

strikingthoughts

Posting Machine
Dec 1, 2015
No. I can on the weekend if you want me to. What should I be looking out for? Anything specific?
nah, you don't have to. I just watched the fight closely without any commentary. Watched Big John's update on the scoring criteria. I wanted to get your take on it since you know the criteria well. I was just curious if your opinion changed after re-watching.

I was giving the slight favor to Brunson after evaluating everything I saw and taking the new scoring criteria into account but wanted to know what you thought if you had the chance to see it again.

I'm on the same page as you as far as what happened when Silva was in guard. With silva in guard, the refs consider that an equal position according to big John’s video on the scoring criteria. So the next criteria I looked at during this position was who was being more effectively offensive. No one was really advancing positions or pursuing submissions so I looked at the striking. At that point during the last round, Brunson couldn’t bridge enough space to generate much force with silva closing that gap while in guard, but when a gap was open, silva took that chance to throw multiple elbows. Brunson landed many small pitter patter weak shot, but I would weigh Silva’s Elbows of greater precedence. The fact that Big John says one solid cross that impacts should weigh more than multiple jabs. I’m applying a similar rule here in this case. Either way, I can also see it being even or favoring no one at that point.