The new Twitter and you

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BanMe

Banished
Feb 9, 2016
Twitter has decided to change one feature that they have had since its inception. No, not the 140 characters (but that's coming). It's their timeline. How it used to work was you decided whom to follow, and your timeline was everything from everyone you followed in reverse order. They will soon be changing to a system that will decide what you want to see based on math.

There's no firm information on what this all means, but I'm willing to bet that this is a great way for accounts to pay their way onto your timeline. Instead of Twitter being for freedom of speech and allowing anyone to have a voice, my contention is that this will make Twitter into a system that gives a voice to people who can afford it.

There is a way around this by going into your settings and "opting out" of the changes. In my opinion, one should have to "opt in" to something this drastic. Personally, I think a change this drastic should not be thrust onto the loyal users without their say.

If you're like me, this angers you to no end. Let Twitter know. I have closed all of my accounts in protest. Make your voice heard. That's what the point of Twitter has always been... make sure you can do it before no one will be able to hear you unless you pay.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Twitter has decided to change one feature that they have had since its inception. No, not the 140 characters (but that's coming). It's their timeline. How it used to work was you decided whom to follow, and your timeline was everything from everyone you followed in reverse order. They will soon be changing to a system that will decide what you want to see based on math.

There's no firm information on what this all means, but I'm willing to bet that this is a great way for accounts to pay their way onto your timeline. Instead of Twitter being for freedom of speech and allowing anyone to have a voice, my contention is that this will make Twitter into a system that gives a voice to people who can afford it.

There is a way around this by going into your settings and "opting out" of the changes. In my opinion, one should have to "opt in" to something this drastic. Personally, I think a change this drastic should not be thrust onto the loyal users without their say.

If you're like me, this angers you to no end. Let Twitter know. I have closed all of my accounts in protest. Make your voice heard. That's what the point of Twitter has always been... make sure you can do it before no one will be able to hear you unless you pay.
I'm in two minds. On one hand, it's great that you let people know. On the other, it's a private website offering a free service. They can run it however they like. I don't understand getting angry about it.

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016

isn't that what facebook did? I abandoned that site before the timeline updates anyway

twitter is barely usable for me even in it's current form so I don't really think the changes will affect me too much, it's not like I ever actually look at the most recent tweets from those I'm following :D

trends are usually so active you can't really hold a conversation AND most people won't even see your tweets unless they are following you. When you do hold a conversation it's restricted by the 140 character thing, which is fine for what twitter does, but reduces the usability for a casual fan like myself. Only thing I use it for is direct tweets (not private ones) to athletes and/or the friends I watch events with in an online chatroom

BanMe

Banished
Feb 9, 2016
I agree with you. I'm not going to use their service any longer. You do have to admit that it has had an important role in breaking news, inspiring people, and disrupting negative practices of companies and governments

Feb 28, 2015
I've already mostly abandoned twitter, mostly for the fact that the past 2-3 years it's been mostly noise where the first several years it was more about conversation and engagement and authenticity. Now you have to filter through the garbage. For a while I kept using it as a brain dump, i like to get my thoughts out but have always been a shit journaler. But I took most apps off of my phone so I wouldn't spend so much time on it and so only check twitter every week or two from my laptop. Thought about shutting er down the other day, with this change, I likely will. I mostly use IG but not even that as much as before.