"The Night We Faced Aldo"

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

CaffeineBomb

Sep 8, 2015
Brilliant series of interviews with many of Aldo's past opponents.

"Mendes:I talked about it to a lot of people after, especially my coaches, and it blows my mind how… I mean, I hit that guy with everything I had. There was an uppercut where I faked a shot and threw that thing from the floor, landed it flush on his chin, and the guy just kept coming."

The Night We Faced Aldo - MMA Fighting

So hyped for this fight, might work my way through his past fights on Fight Pass later....

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
"People don’t understand because they’re not fucking world-class fighters. When you’re at world championship level, you’re fighting other guys who are at a world championship level. So, you know, Dana White wants to say something? Let’s see him get in there and fight. Let’s see him fight somebody who’s a championship fighter and let’s see how many punches he throws in a round. Things change when you’re fighting the best guys in the world."

- Urijah Faber

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Damn this is a good article.

Also it's details like this that people miss watching Aldo as just another kicker...

Guys will open up that lead leg, then throw that rear leg. What it does, it allows the kick to rotate all the way around but gives the guy who’s going to receive the kick a tell. So as soon as you see them open up that foot, you know that kick is coming.

Jose keeps his foot pointed forward and still generates an insane amount of power. So there’s no tell. You can’t read his kicks, which makes it so difficult when combined with the actual speed he generates.

CaffeineBomb

Sep 8, 2015
Comments like that from Florian are one of the reasons I'm happy he's doing analysis and commentary for the UFC now. Really good at spotting the little things.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Cool article. I'm getting pumped up for the fight!
Been looking forward to it for some time now..........can't wait for the entrances also, as long as staind isn't singing, they can make this memorable.

TheContinentalOp

Posting Machine
Mar 30, 2015
"People don’t understand because they’re not fucking world-class fighters. When you’re at world championship level, you’re fighting other guys who are at a world championship level. So, you know, Dana White wants to say something? Let’s see him get in there and fight. Let’s see him fight somebody who’s a championship fighter and let’s see how many punches he throws in a round. Things change when you’re fighting the best guys in the world."

- Urijah Faber
Was just about to quote that and saw you beat me to it. The rest of that statement is great too, it seems every fan of the sport should have to read this before commenting on a fight/fighter:

"What we’re dealing with is not a reality-show, fairy-tale world. This is a world where there’s high stakes and you’ve got guys who have trained their whole life to show they’re the baddest dude on the planet. You’re fighting other guys who have the same exact lifestyle. The same mentality. The same goal. So I guarantee you he’s trying to knock Chad Mendes out. I know he’s trying to knock me out. I’m a tough dude. Chad’s a tough dude. Frankie (Edgar)’s a tough dude. That’s our game.

We’re in a state of the world where every coward has a voice without any consequences. Everybody can get on the internet, throw out their opinion, and they don’t have to walk in front of Jose Aldo and take the risk of being kicked in the head."

Fantastic article and a great find.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015

- Urijah Faber
Was just going to quote and post this. Dana sucks

Greenbean

Posting Machine
Nov 14, 2015
I'm gong to be on pins and needles this fight. This is going to be epic. Aside from gsp, Jose is probably my all time favorite fighter. And Conor is someone who's really grown on me and I've come to respect. This is the one fellas. This one right here is the one. I've knowingly bought into the hype and build up and I hope it lives up to it.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Great article! The quote that really struck me was Gamburyan saying...

"I don’t know if you guys know anything about soccer, but I am a big-time fan of Brazilian soccer.

England, they’re a very fast team. When they play Brazil, somehow Brazil slows them down and makes them play their game. I don’t know how it happens, but it’s the same thing with Jose Aldo. Even if you want to fight fast, or anything like that, he makes you go on his pace. It’s magic, or it’s just that he’s gifted. I don’t know."

That's the biggest question I have about the fight. Aldo keeps guys honest and makes them fight his pace. Connor likes to go out and set a blistering pace, constantly attacking and talking shit like a Diaz brother.

Can Aldo keep Connor honest and make him fight his pace? Or will Connor's style and shit talking force Aldo into high paced, high emotion fight that's really outside his comfort zone?

CaffeineBomb

Sep 8, 2015
Yeah, that was a brilliant way of describing what Aldo does by Gamburyan. Everyone turns up to play Brazil at soccer thinking they're going to force them to play their way and very rarely does anyone actually manage it.

No idea what's going to happen, I think that makes up so much of the appeal for this fight. Conor has huge power and everyone's chin goes sometime, but Jose Aldo is so damn good and that's his cage and his championship they're fighting for. One thing I'm curious about is this is first fight post-IV ban for both of them and wondering how that's going to affect the fight, (hope it doesn't).

M

member 3289

You won't find any quotes from Frankie Edgar in that article cuz he beat Aldo.
One of those "controversial" decisions that really isn't controversial once you go back and watch the fight. That fight was either 49-46 Aldo or 48-47 Aldo, but there's no way anyone can logically give Frankie more than the 4th (decisively) and the 5th (possibly).

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
One of those "controversial" decisions that really isn't controversial once you go back and watch the fight. That fight was either 49-46 Aldo or 48-47 Aldo, but there's no way anyone can logically give Frankie more than the 4th (decisively) and the 5th (possibly).
Frankie 3,4,&5

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Idc nobody said he's Blowed lol...I got2 large pizza king pizzas on this fight..WAR ALDO

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Great article! The quote that really struck me was Gamburyan saying...

"I don’t know if you guys know anything about soccer, but I am a big-time fan of Brazilian soccer.

England, they’re a very fast team. When they play Brazil, somehow Brazil slows them down and makes them play their game. I don’t know how it happens, but it’s the same thing with Jose Aldo. Even if you want to fight fast, or anything like that, he makes you go on his pace. It’s magic, or it’s just that he’s gifted. I don’t know."

That's the biggest question I have about the fight. Aldo keeps guys honest and makes them fight his pace. Connor likes to go out and set a blistering pace, constantly attacking and talking shit like a Diaz brother.

Can Aldo keep Connor honest and make him fight his pace? Or will Connor's style and shit talking force Aldo into high paced, high emotion fight that's really outside his comfort zone?
Aldo will be a lawn mower blade or blender that Conor runs into..when chunks start missing from your flesh you tend to back up...Can't wait for this scrap

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Pizza King is the SHIT son. Didn't know you all had one up there.
Hahaha...it started here homie...Top Hat pizza aka PK is legendary round these parts..3/4 baked bread sticks are unreal...We got 3 in a town of 30k

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Hahaha...it started here homie...Top Hat pizza aka PK is legendary round these parts..3/4 baked bread sticks are unreal...We got 3 in a town of 30k
I didn't know that. We're got one down here, and two knock offs. I love that shit. 16" supreme for the win.

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
I didn't know that. We're got one down here, and two knock offs. I love that shit. 16" supreme for the win.
Yepp..they aren't cheap either..So betting 2Lg Royal Feasts is a big deal...i git josee Adam Bass has Conor...we aren't to,the imax for 189...we probably going back for 194..

P

Punch

Yepp..they aren't cheap either..So betting 2Lg Royal Feasts is a big deal...i h it Jise Adam Bass has Conor...we aren't to,the imax for 189...we probably going back for 194..

Drunk already again, eh? :D