General The pain thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

billy tully

Aug 14, 2024
Having been a pro fighter for well over a decade as well as being a paid sparring partner for some of the biggest names in boxing from my era ( 1982-1996 ), I took a hell of a lot of punishment. And sandwiched in there was a brief pro kickboxing career in which I fought the Canadian light middleweight champion to a draw in Kingston, Ontario. We were scheduled for a rematch in Montreal as the semi-main event underneath a Jean Yves Theriault title defense. But a week before the fight I blew out my right knee & tore my ACL, ruptured my patellar tendon & a couple of other nasty things that required reconstructive surgery.

I also had an orbital break ( along with a massive cut ) over my left eye in a fight which required a shitload amount of stitches. And a week later when I went back to the doctor for a follow up he discovered a tiny "pinhole" tear of my retina. Fortunately, I didn't require surgery on it. The doctor decided to leave it be for a while to see if it might mend on its own. But I had to stay out of the ring & not even train for over a year. But it eventually healed with a barely visible scar ( on my retina that is, my face still has a big scar from it ). But 6 months later during a sparring session with Simon Brown, I threw a left hook & felt a tear. I tried to finish the round but the pain was too much & it turned out I'd torn my rotator cuff. But again, it wasn't serious enough for surgical repair. I just had to rest it for a few months & then do physical therapy.

Add to that some broken noses, a million & one bruises & cuts, bruised & separated ribs & a broken foot/ankle from stepping in a post hole while running one morning & other things I'm sure I'll remember in time. So, it was a rough life but I managed to come out of it with all my faculties intact & no cognitive issues. Although there was some neurological issues as all those years of impact to my head caused the vertebrae in my neck to break down into bone fragments, calcium deposits & exposed nerves. So, they rebuilt my neurological spine a few months later after the pain became unbearable. But they did a rather shitty job because 3 years later they had to do it again. Only this time they took the bone fragments out & rebuilt my spine with titanium screws & plastic. So much of it I thought I might set off the metal detectors at the airport. But I didn't.

I still take Norco/Vicodin for breakthrough pain, though.

And, yes, I have a legal prescription for it that I don't abuse.

So, getting back on track, I obviously have a high tolerance for pain. Blunt force trauma is easy for me because I have a hard-as-hell head that according to my neurologist is thicker than most people's. I'm also good with shots & recovering from surgeries. But I'm no good with burns, those are the worst. And toothaches suck too.

So what's your relationship with pain like? Do you have a high tolerance or are you a big baby? Lol.

Let's hear about it.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Having been a pro fighter for well over a decade as well as being a paid sparring partner for some of the biggest names in boxing from my era ( 1982-1996 ), I took a hell of a lot of punishment. And sandwiched in there was a brief pro kickboxing career in which I fought the Canadian light middleweight champion to a draw in Kingston, Ontario. We were scheduled for a rematch in Montreal as the semi-main event underneath a Jean Yves Theriault title defense. But a week before the fight I blew out my right knee & tore my ACL, ruptured my patellar tendon & a couple of other nasty things that required reconstructive surgery.

I also had an orbital break ( along with a massive cut ) over my left eye in a fight which required a shitload amount of stitches. And a week later when I went back to the doctor for a follow up he discovered a tiny "pinhole" tear of my retina. Fortunately, I didn't require surgery on it. The doctor decided to leave it be for a while to see if it might mend on its own. But I had to stay out of the ring & not even train for over a year. But it eventually healed with a barely visible scar ( on my retina that is, my face still has a big scar from it ). But 6 months later during a sparring session with Simon Brown, I threw a left hook & felt a tear. I tried to finish the round but the pain was too much & it turned out I'd torn my rotator cuff. But again, it wasn't serious enough for surgical repair. I just had to rest it for a few months & then do physical therapy.

Add to that some broken noses, a million & one bruises & cuts, bruised & separated ribs & a broken foot/ankle from stepping in a post hole while running one morning & other things I'm sure I'll remember in time. So, it was a rough life but I managed to come out of it with all my faculties intact & no cognitive issues. Although there was some neurological issues as all those years of impact to my head caused the vertebrae in my neck to break down into bone fragments, calcium deposits & exposed nerves. So, they rebuilt my neurological spine a few months later after the pain became unbearable. But they did a rather shitty job because 3 years later they had to do it again. Only this time they took the bone fragments out & rebuilt my spine with titanium screws & plastic. So much of it I thought I might set off the metal detectors at the airport. But I didn't.

I still take Norco/Vicodin for breakthrough pain, though.

And, yes, I have a legal prescription for it that I don't abuse.

So, getting back on track, I obviously have a high tolerance for pain. Blunt force trauma is easy for me because I have a hard-as-hell head that according to my neurologist is thicker than most people's. I'm also good with shots & recovering from surgeries. But I'm no good with burns, those are the worst. And toothaches suck too.

So what's your relationship with pain like? Do you have a high tolerance or are you a big baby? Lol.

Let's hear about it.
got any fight footage, would love to watch.

HARLEM

Double-hard bastard
Feb 25, 2015
The tough part about degenerative issues is that they tend to migrate to the next closest area when you fix an area. So, you were probably always going to have to continue to fix things. It’s not that they failed as much as your anatomy and prior issues didn’t hold up to the new gear.

With the amount of wear and tear you have listed (and the additional stuff you probably just thought were aches that didn’t need a Dr. Visit) I can imagine that you did a number on your body.

billy tully

Aug 14, 2024
The tough part about degenerative issues is that they tend to migrate to the next closest area when you fix an area. So, you were probably always going to have to continue to fix things. It’s not that they failed as much as your anatomy and prior issues didn’t hold up to the new gear.

With the amount of wear and tear you have listed (and the additional stuff you probably just thought were aches that didn’t need a Dr. Visit) I can imagine that you did a number on your body.
Oh, yeah, bro. You can say that again.
But I make sure I stay active & keep reasonably fit by doing a lot of walking & calisthenics. I know some work with weights would be beneficial but I can't stand working with weights. I did so out of necessity as a part of my training when I was fighting but I've always found it to be tedious. I understand others love it but it's not something I enjoy. So, I do bodyweight exercises instead.

As far as the pain goes, it's pretty much a constant with me but I've learned how to eat the pain. I envelope it rather than letting it envelope me. I still feel it but I don't let it control me or what I do. Of course, the Vicodin helps but I'm diligent about not becoming totally dependant on it. I take them only when my pain level in my neck & my spine is too much to bear. Luckily that doesn't happen all that much.

Uncle Tom Doug

Official TMMAC Racist
Jun 24, 2022
I grew up in the emergency room; broken bones, burns, electrocution, head trauma, dog bites, hell I spent my 4th birthday in a coma.

The worst pain I have ever felt in my life was having a catheter yanked out with the balloon still inflated.

kvr28

Ghost of KVR
Nov 22, 2015
I grew up in the emergency room; broken bones, burns, electrocution, head trauma, dog bites, hell I spent my 4th birthday in a coma.

The worst pain I have ever felt in my life was having a catheter yanked out with the balloon still inflated.
My father went through something similar and agrees, he was stepping out of the shower and the cath line was under his foot. We ended up in the er over that.

Lancifer

Shogun of the Iron Liver - '98 OGer
Sep 3, 2020
My father went through something similar and agrees, he was stepping out of the shower and the cath line was under his foot. We ended up in the er over that.
Fuck. That.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #ASSBLOODS
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

Some people pay for that stuff.

Judobill

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Jesus, that sounds awful.

jpm995

Aug 13, 2024
I was ok until i got old. Now i have back pain, stomach pain, hip pain, neuropathy on my right side, and arthritis in knees, back, hands. The thing is it's all low level pain most of the time and I can live with that. An old guy once told me never get old, I wish I listened to him.

Uncle Tom Doug

Official TMMAC Racist
Jun 24, 2022
I was told by a urologist, years later, that I should have sued the absolute dogshit out of The UT Medical Center, but the statue of limitations had already passed by the time I eventually ended up seeing him. Evidently that event left scar tissue in my urethra and made me much more susceptible to prostatitis. I had numerous bouts from 18 into my mid 30's.

I've only thrown up twice, due to pain. The first time was the catheter being yanked, the second time was the worst bout I prostatitis I experienced, I was around 23. Drinking exacerbates prostatitis and I was a functional alcoholic for years. It feels like a hot poker has been shoved into your asshole through your taint, and out the tip of your dick. I'd spend hours sitting in hot baths or on socks full of rice I'd heated up in the microwave. The first time it happened, I thought I had an STD, so I went and got tested, but came back squeaky clean. Doctor banana fingers probed my anus and came to the conclusion it was prostatitis. It kept happening, so I was eventually referred to the urologist.

Last edited:

billy tully

Aug 14, 2024
I was told by a urologist, years later, that I should have sued the absolute dogshit out of The UT Medical Center, but the statue of limitations had already passed by the time I eventually ended up seeing him. Evidently that event left scar tissue in my urethra and made me much more susceptible to prostatitis. I had numerous bouts from 18 into my mid 30's.

I've only thrown up twice, due to pain. The first time was the catheter being yanked, the second time was the worst bout I prostatitis I experienced, I was around 23. Drinking exacerbates prostatitis and I was a functional alcoholic for years. It feels like a hot poker has been shoved into your asshole through your taint, and out the tip of your dick. I'd spend hours sitting in hot baths or on socks full of rice I'd heated up in the microwave. The first time it happened, I thought I had an STD, so I went and got tested, but came back squeaky clean. Doctor banana fingers probed my anus and came to the conclusion it was prostatitis. It kept happened, so I was eventually referred to the urologist.
Holy shit, man, I wasn't even aware that prostatitis was a thing. I'm sorry you've had to deal with it for so long. It sounds like a horrible thing to have to go through.

billy tully

Aug 14, 2024
got any fight footage, would love to watch.
I wish. I had a couple of VHS tapes with some of my fights on them that I had planned to have copied onto a DVD & uploaded. But they were in a box with a bunch of other memorabilia like my first trunks & shoes, many of my trophies from my amateur days as well as almost all my photos of me in my fights. Including an entire packet of pics of me sparring my idol, Ray Leonard. I packed that box very carefully & labeled it "precious cargo" before giving it to the movers to put on the truck that took all my belongings from Buffalo to Sedona, AZ.
My late wife & I flew there & a few days later the truck arrived & when it was unpacked 3 things were missing. My 55" HDTV, a box of collectible books, & my "precious cargo" box of irreplaceable memorabilia from my boxing career.
Naturally, I raised holy hell with the moving company but they had no explanation & they reimbursed me for the TV but they would only give me a pittance for the two boxes because I didn't think to insure those items separately. So, I lost a big chunk of my life's memories.

Uncle Tom Doug

Official TMMAC Racist
Jun 24, 2022
Holy shit, man, I wasn't even aware that prostatitis was a thing. I'm sorry you've had to deal with it for so long. It sounds like a horrible thing to have to go through.
No worries, man. I deserved a lot worse, plus pain and suffering builds character. That hospital visit was caused by me flipping my truck, drunk, when I was 17. I was the only person and vehicle involved, thankfully.

billy tully

Aug 14, 2024
No worries, man. I deserved a lot worse, plus pain and suffering builds character. That hospital visit was caused by me flipping my truck, drunk, when I was 17. I was the only person and vehicle involved, thankfully.
Damn, glad you came through that wreck. Do you remember it happening?

Uncle Tom Doug

Official TMMAC Racist
Jun 24, 2022
Damn, glad you came through that wreck. Do you remember it happening?
I do not. The last thing I remember was peeing in my buddy Ryan's cul de sac. After that, I just remember flashes. It took firefighters almost 3 hours and 2 pairs of jaws of life to cut me out of a single cab truck. I went off the road, went airborne, hit a telephone pole, flipped twice, and one of those giant concrete manhole things stopped the momentum. The COPs spoke to several witnesses. All of the witnesses thought I was dead. If I had been wearing my seatbelt, I would have likely died as it would have kept me upright instead of me falling over and flopping about during the crash.

I broke 4 ribs, had a concussion, a bunch of stitches, a black eye, almost lost my left ring finger and left kidney, and the numbers from gear stick were embedded into my right cheek. Evidently, my face bent the gear stick on the floor of my truck almost 45 degrees to the right. I was an absolute retard at that age and left the hospital about 12 hours after I got there. They wanted to keep me for a week. I still have glass in my body from the wreck. I was able to pry most of it out myself, but did have to have surgery about 10 years after the wreck to remove a piece of glass that was scraping the knuckle of the middle finger on my right hand. You could actually hear the sound of if scraping. It didn't hurt unless I punched something with my right hand or put a lot of pressure on it.

billy tully

Aug 14, 2024
I do not. The last thing I remember was peeing in my buddy Ryan's cul de sac. After that, I just remember flashes. It took firefighters almost 3 hours and 2 pairs of jaws of life to cut me out of a single cab truck. I went off the road, went airborne, hit a telephone pole, flipped twice, and one of those giant concrete manhole things stopped the momentum. The COPs spoke to several witnesses. All of the witnesses thought I was dead. If I had been wearing my seatbelt, I would have likely died as it would have kept me upright instead of me falling over and flopping about during the crash.

I broke 4 ribs, had a concussion, a bunch of stitches, a black eye, almost lost my left ring finger and left kidney, and the numbers from gear stick were embedded into my right cheek. Evidently, my face bent the gear stick on the floor of my truck almost 45 degrees to the right. I was an absolute retard at that age and left the hospital about 12 hours after I got there. They wanted to keep me for a week. I still have glass in my body from the wreck. I was able to pry most of it out myself, but did have to have surgery about 10 years after the wreck to remove a piece of glass that was scraping the knuckle of the middle finger on my right hand. You could actually hear the sound of if scraping. It didn't hurt unless I punched something with my right hand or put a lot of pressure on it.

Holy shit, you should be dead. What was the pressing matter you had to take care of that caused you to leave the hospital after 12 hours? Something good I hope. Lol.

Uncle Tom Doug

Official TMMAC Racist
Jun 24, 2022
Holy shit, you should be dead. What was the pressing matter you had to take care of that caused you to leave the hospital after 12 hours? Something good I hope. Lol.
There wasn't one, I just didn't want to be there and I knew they couldn't force me to stay. I was and still am an absolute retard. I had been fucked up so many times before that so my parents were like "if he says he's good, he's good". In retrospect, wish I would have stayed at least another night or two. I was in a shit ton of pain from the broken ribs and pissing blood from the kidney damage and the catheter. You can't even breath without it hurting if you've got 4 broken ribs. That shit sucks. It's still at least 150% less painful than the catheter with the balloon still inflated. I got worried after a week or two of having blood in my pee, but it finally cleared up.

I am perfectly fine with all forms of external physical pain, but when it's something you can't see that's causing the blood, it's a bit unnerving.

I'm really glad you have experienced any cognitive decline, given your younger years. I've had a bunch of concussions and sometimes wonder how well the old noodle is going to hold up. So far, so good.