Cinema The Plot Against America (HBO)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
I can't recall who asked about this in the Corona thread. was it BeardOfKnowledge @ConorMcGregorsBeard ?

to whomever it was, my take at the time in regars to the book was that I'm not the best to opine since it's not a genre I am well read in, but the book was okay, whereas it translates very well to screen

I still stand by that. the changes made to the show adaptation as well as the acting are great. and although the plot deals with very high level events, the story is really about an intimate look into a family, which is easier to portray with good writing and solid actors

but I'm catching up finally with episode 4, and there's a very specific line in the episode from a son to a father that I recall hitting me really hard from the book. cause with a book (or even an audio book), you can pause and let the moment sink in

so my new stance is actually that I'd say give the book a shot if its a genre that you like. read it first then watch the show for sure (granted, that's basically what I do for anything in film that comes in book form)

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
in the episode 3 podcast, the director blatantly stated the "why now?" (cause the book was written 16 years ago)

and be stated that he did this as an allegory for current events

so this show alienates a large percentage of America based off that

but even if one disagrees with whether or not trump has authoritarian tendencies, or whether he has painted Latinos as "the other," the concept still stands. and it's an interesting look into what can happen to a family when they have conflicting views on shtuff