The problem with "Experts" in MMA

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 603

Everyone who thinks that just because they've seen a season of TUF, and they listen to Rogan and Dana's in cage declarations of who is great.... They all think that they are experts..... Like this clown....

View: https://twitter.com/smartdan51/status/1184487262173745153?s=19

And going back and forth with him, you can tell this guy has no idea his MMA history. As much as we all go back and forth here, I respect the knowledge that a lot of us bring to the table.

Hey MMAHAWK @MMAHAWK Carbazel @Carbazel Wild @Wild .... Hell @conor mcgregor nut hugger... Go teach this guy something..... JJ an all time most influential over Big Nog, Cro Cop, etc.... Fucking clown

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Lol, it'd be like arguing over on mmmatv.
Imagine MMA w/o Igor Vovchanchyn, or Jeremy Horn, or Cyborg, or even Travis Fulton.

Ronda Rousey?
Stipe?

Someone should troll him though.
Like with Royce Alger.

M

member 603

I mean fuck, to include JJ and Stipe, but not the Diaz Bros, or Conor.... Don't you need to actually BE an MMA fan to have a MMA fansite???

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Not really sure you're on the right side of this argument @Rhino

Even forgiving the UFC bias, that's not exactly a controversial list. Only Tito, Randy and Stipe would get much debate for disinclusion and if you factor in others who mostly fought outside the UFC like Pitbull, Sak, Wanderlei, Cro Cop, who do you see them displacing on that list of 16 and why? I think any such list is always going to be all over the place and subjective anyway. If we grant that the influence of the UFC can skew some noobs ideas, how do we account for how much nostalgia might skew our own?

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
There is no single definitive set of objective criteria, so why get into an argument over who is right/wrong, when it is all an opinion?

How about MMA is awesome and it is fascinating to discuss the countess perspectives? Seems like a more amicable and fun way to enjoy the passion so many of us share for the sport.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Everyone who thinks that just because they've seen a season of TUF, and they listen to Rogan and Dana's in cage declarations of who is great.... They all think that they are experts..... Like this clown....

View: https://twitter.com/smartdan51/status/1184487262173745153?s=19

And going back and forth with him, you can tell this guy has no idea his MMA history. As much as we all go back and forth here, I respect the knowledge that a lot of us bring to the table.

Hey MMAHAWK @MMAHAWK Carbazel @Carbazel Wild @Wild .... Hell @conor mcgregor nut hugger... Go teach this guy something..... JJ an all time most influential over Big Nog, Cro Cop, etc.... Fucking clown
Asking CMNH to teach someone about MMA is like asking Stevie Wonder to teach someone how to shoot free throws.

M

member 603

Not really sure you're on the right side of this argument @Rhino

Even forgiving the UFC bias, that's not exactly a controversial list. Only Tito, Randy and Stipe would get much debate for disinclusion and if you factor in others who mostly fought outside the UFC like Pitbull, Sak, Wanderlei, Cro Cop, who do you see them displacing on that list of 16 and why? I think any such list is always going to be all over the place and subjective anyway. If we grant that the influence of the UFC can skew some noobs ideas, how do we account for how much nostalgia might skew our own?
Great questions.... Based on the accomplishment factors (also weighing caliber of opponent), I'd say that K-1 Champ/Pride Grand Prix Champ Cro Cop should DEFINITELY be on the list, as should UFC/Pride Champs Big Nog and Dan Henderson, Hell even Mark Coleman I'd have to include for his GP, UFC & Pride titles.... In WMMA, if there was no Gina Carano, there would have been no Ronda Rousey, and Cyborg is arguably the WMMA GOAT (I think she due to longevity of career slightly notches above Nunes, but ultimately Nunes will be the GOAT).... JMMA carried the sport in the dark days, and there was no bigger star than Sakuraba.... and Kid, he had endorsement deals, and was a star in a way that Conor is now, before anyone thought that was possible.

A lot of that dudes list I can agree with (the GSP's, JBJ, Spider.... The typical picks).... But I'd remove Tito, Stipe, Couture, Hughes, JJ, even (controversially) DC, and add most of the people on I mentioned.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Great questions.... Based on the accomplishment factors (also weighing caliber of opponent), I'd say that K-1 Champ/Pride Grand Prix Champ Cro Cop should DEFINITELY be on the list, as should UFC/Pride Champs Big Nog and Dan Henderson, Hell even Mark Coleman I'd have to include for his GP, UFC & Pride titles.... In WMMA, if there was no Gina Carano, there would have been no Ronda Rousey, and Cyborg is arguably the WMMA GOAT (I think she due to longevity of career slightly notches above Nunes, but ultimately Nunes will be the GOAT).... JMMA carried the sport in the dark days, and there was no bigger star than Sakuraba.... and Kid, he had endorsement deals, and was a star in a way that Conor is now, before anyone thought that was possible.

A lot of that dudes list I can agree with (the GSP's, JBJ, Spider.... The typical picks).... But I'd remove Tito, Stipe, Couture, Hughes, JJ, even (controversially) DC, and add most of the people on I mentioned.
Well if you tweak the parameters enough, anyone can be the most influential. When we bring in things like PPV numbers, earnings, influence, marketing, endorsements, and even belts, we're getting into things that are largely determined outside the cage and have little to do with fighting. That guy said "most accomplished," which I think we can reasonably assume means in fighting. To me, the purest lists we can create generally come down to who beat who and when did they beat them. Cyborg, for example, only beat two truly competitive opponents in her whole career and they were Carano and Holm. She only had longevity because of the long time gaps in between her fights or because she was in a division of one. I don't think we can say the same for Nunes or Joanna, even though we can still say that WMMA is in development. They've had aggressive schedules since their careers started and they've risen to the occasion more often than not. When we look at Sak, he had some awesome wins, but besides there's a lot of screwiness in his fights with guys like White, Newton, Conan, Kimo, Belfort and Shamrock. The other part of his career was demolishing the Gracies, which was meaningful at the time, but when you put their careers into context, how meaningful really was it? Sak moved directly to journeyman status once they actually built a division around him. There's no way realistically we can compare someone like him to Jones or DC. It's almost like they did two completely different sports.

Crop Cop is a more complicated story. His Open Weight GP win was great, but he didn't beat Fedor. His run in the HW GP before that was great, but he didn't beat Big Nog. His Rizin run was awesome, but in more of a spectacle way since his competition wasn't exactly great. And he wasn't as accomplished in K1 as say Mark Hunt who is absolutely the most accomplished kickboxer to ever also fight high level MMA besides Reem who I'd probably rank ahead of both of them. Or Werdum who beat Hunt, Reem, Fedor, And Velasquez even though he lost plenty also. Stipe at least won the belt twice and defended it more than anyone else, and not just the UFC belt, but also the lineal HW title that goes all the way back to Shamrock/Severn or Royce/Howard or Coleman/Severn or whatever route you want to take to get there.

Hughes and Couture have seen their legacies wane a bit. Couture lost almost as much as he won, but Hughes is probably still the #2 WW of all time and is one of only two men on Earth to beat the #1. I'm fine with leaving him off a list of the top 16 fighters, but I don't know if it would be for Kid, Sak, Cyborg, or Hendo. Hendo probably has the closest claim because of who he beat, but he also lost a bunch, which degrades him a bit.

I loved MMA back in the day, but evaluating fighters accomplishments retrospectively under different rulesets against modern MMA is hard. It's always fun though and is one of the good things about video games.