The Real Notorious: Lee Murray breaks silence

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
Yo re-reading this thread I was briefly mind fucked.

When you read some of my post you see "Taco Bell" inserted but I am 99% sure where it says "Taco Bell" it should read "Taco Bell" or "underground". Is this editing by mods? Why? Very strange.
Yep
And kirik=Ronald McDonald

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
I personally get ready for work every day in a crack house right in the middle of Detroit. The house is a dump but I installed wooden floors in my bedroom which I wax every day. And I'll be damned if I'm not attacked every single day as I'm putting my shoes on. I'm a wrestler so I have no choice but to shoot dubs, and in these chaotic conditions I lose every time because of bad conditions and also some bad luck and so on. No guns allowed per the sign out front and people respect that so they bust in the front door ready to throw hands and sprawl cuz they know I shoot dubs.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Back on official thread topic---are we all in agreement that this was one of the dumbest crimes in the history of big-score jobs? Not a fan of violent crimes although I do understand that the crime can be separated from the mental resolve to plan and carry it out.

Anyway. Considering the amount of money here, the number of people involved was ridiculous (I don't remember the number offhand). There was zero chance of this crime ever being pulled off. I suppose it is possible Lee thought the lack of extradition treaty with UK would keep him safely in Morocco, but lacking a formal treaty doesn't mean a country can't cooperate. They just need a good reason to do so. Well, there was no way Securitas was going to suffer that embarrassment, so I'm sure they paid a fuck ton to grease the proper wheels.

I just saw this entire thing as a fantasy that Lee managed to partly carry out.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Back on official thread topic---are we all in agreement that this was one of the dumbest crimes in the history of big-score jobs? Not a fan of violent crimes although I do understand that the crime can be separated from the mental resolve to plan and carry it out.

Anyway. Considering the amount of money here, the number of people involved was ridiculous (I don't remember the number offhand). There was zero chance of this crime ever being pulled off. I suppose it is possible Lee thought the lack of extradition treaty with UK would keep him safely in Morocco, but lacking a formal treaty doesn't mean a country can't cooperate. They just need a good reason to do so. Well, there was no way Securitas was going to suffer that embarrassment, so I'm sure they paid a fuck ton to grease the proper wheels.

I just saw this entire thing as a fantasy that Lee managed to partly carry out.
Morocco didn't extradite though. Lee received a 10 year sentence and there is still over 30m pounds never recovered. What fucked lee is he appealed the decision and the court increased the penalty to 25 years, ouch.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Morocco didn't extradite though. Lee received a 10 year sentence and there is still over 30m pounds never recovered. What fucked lee is he appealed the decision and the court increased the penalty to 25 years, ouch.
I keep reading people saying that, but I thought I read the extra time was added because he tried to escape?

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
I keep reading people saying that, but I thought I read the extra time was added because he tried to escape?
I never heard about an escape attempt. I know he's been in trouble for contraband and having sex with a woman, but those violations only led to harsher conditions like temporary solitary.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Good point---I'd forgotten what actually happened in this case, as it's been so long. I'm not googling anything at the moment, so I could be way off. I had always thought the UK more or less dictated his sentence in Morocco, which was for some coke-related charge IIRC. And that they would find a way to bring new charges and keep him there past the originally sentenced 10 years. I guess the escape plan took care of that for them.

Whatever the case, I'm claiming "dumbest high-profile crime of the last 100 years" due to the ridiculously high $$ amount and number of cohorts involved. A stupid, basically narcissistic crime, which is a real shame since he had at least one child. Married as well I believe?

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
There needs to be a movie about this
call it part fiction and have somebody go after the 30m or something like that

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Good point---I'd forgotten what actually happened in this case, as it's been so long. I'm not googling anything at the moment, so I could be way off. I had always thought the UK more or less dictated his sentence in Morocco, which was for some coke-related charge IIRC. And that they would find a way to bring new charges and keep him there past the originally sentenced 10 years. I guess the escape plan took care of that for them.

Whatever the case, I'm claiming "dumbest high-profile crime of the last 100 years" due to the ridiculously high $$ amount and number of cohorts involved. A stupid, basically narcissistic crime, which is a real shame since he had at least one child. Married as well I believe?
With over 30m never recovered (very high exchange rate with usd, around $40m)), I'd hardly call it dumbest high profile crime. Some people will have substantial cash when released. Those never caught are set for life, provided they are smart and keep their guard up. Apparently the high number of dumb asses was necessary in order to execute the plan, but collateral damage may be no big deal if more than half of the money can't be located.

Last edited:

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
With over 30m never recovered (very high exchange rate with usd, around $40m)), I'd hardly call it dumbest high profile crime. Some people will have substantial cash when released. Those never caught are set for life, provided they are smart and keep their guard up. Apparently the high number of dumb asses was necessary in order to execute the plan, but collateral damage may be no big deal if more than half of the money can't be located.
Was that Lee's plan, do you think? To set up for life whoever might escape prosecution? And so these guys all know where the cash is and are spending it as they please, or have distributed it to friends and family members or stashed it in Swiss accounts or the Caymans? Sorry, that's a really bad plan. Can some people benefit from it? I mean, sure. But Lee sure as hell didn't, and I really doubt his family has either. Those people can't make a real move---spend any real money---without being gang tackled by 397 agents.

I suppose some future generations might be able to benefit. But do you think Lee really planned and pulled this heist in order for fringe gang people to take advantage of it? Or for his children, but only late in life?

This plan was hatched in a blaze of coke and delusional egos. The core people don't seem to have benefited anywhere near commensurate to the level of risk undertaken.

FWIW, Wikipedia says Lee was sentenced beyond the 10 years for his role in the heist:

"On 1 June 2010, Murray was jailed in Morocco for ten years for his part in the robbery; the sentence was later increased to 25 years."

Securitas depot robbery - Wikipedia

I thought, as others do, that Lee was busted for trying to break out of the Moroccan prison. Lee himself might have said so in one of those Middle Easy interviews or something. But that doesn't appear to be part of the official record.

Anyway---if you're going to pull a job, you can still go large while going much smaller than Securitas. Think in the $5-10 million range, but with far fewer people involved. Then at least there's a CHANCE you all really get away with it. With the actual number of people involved, including those who knew by way of rumor (because of course Lee's beloved mates yakked about the heist), it was highly unlikely this job was going anywhere but south. Furthermore, given what these yahoos did with the various equipment used in the heist (left undisguised/unchanged in public places like the parking lots of pubs), failure was 100% guaranteed.

I don't know, maybe Lee thinks he's going to get out some day. On paper, he will. I seriously doubt he ever will. The magnitude of this villainy is just not something that will be forgotten. I mean, it IS why people love Lee and romanticize what he and his mates did. They went LARGE, I mean they fucking set the benchmark for REAL. Every heist from here on out in the world (especially the UK though---you know gangsters are plotting/fantasizing) will be compared to this one. And I get it---to a degree.

But that's my take. Maybe there are important details that reverse this picture as I've painted it. You could be right---I just see Lee's failure to capitalize for himself as a big failure. He's not Robin Hood...