The science behind intermittent fasting

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
Would one be overdoing it to include Starbucks lukewarm enemas in addition to the liquids and intermittent fasting regimen?

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Would one be overdoing it to include Starbucks lukewarm enemas in addition to the liquids and intermittent fasting regimen?
Not sure.

However, need pics of anus to give serious answer....

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
pictures of Uranus are readily available on the internet for all to see. Some astrophysicists feel that the name of Uranus should be changed. What, in your humble opinion, should we call Uranus?

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015
TLDR = I am losing bodyfat rapidly. I think that in nature this would be horrible. Also I'm freezing more. But the not eating almost gets addictive. Curious if this will have a jojo-effect.
I'm also not 1000% strict (milk in coffee, when I feel like it or e.g. visit my mother during the day and she cooks of course I eat that)

I'm actually coming back to this thread.
As it was Ramadan and some friends of mine were doing it, I was looking forward to joining in, just for the heck of it. But in a "light"-version, so with drinking fluids etc. On days that required my full performance, or when I got too cold, I would just eat regularly for a day. Also nice pork, hmmm. Allah will forgive me :D often I would not wait until sundown at, say 21:40, and then go to bed stuffed but instead eat at 8pm. But in general, it was a great experience, and I think that it's a shame that Christians don't have something that is hard that everybody does together and can overcome together. So I had been looking forward to doing it together with my friends from Morocco. Next year again, maybe with a bit more adherence even.

In other words this led down to me doing Time Restricted Eating (where I ate in a period of maybe 2hrs per day). I'm usually really skeptical of new fads etc. If a lot of the experts were wrong 20 years ago, they can also be wrong today.
Here though, I involuntarily did it myself..

Results after 1 month:
> at first it's really hard, I felt quite weak. After eating I immediately was ko-ed and fell asleep. My days got a lot shorter because I fell asleep a couple of hours earlier.
> after 4-5 days I got used to it (less weakness etc. but I'm still more cold than usual)
> you simply cannot eat as much quantity. I had to buy way less and "almost felt sorry" for all the nice stuff that I could not eat (fruits, vegetables and cheese that I bought too much of)
> every morning I could see the weight go down on the scale. around 0,4kg per day. I know weight is irrelevant it's body fat. I could also see in the mirror that I got slimmer (I'm not fat, but definitely thicker than 10years ago as a poor university student, you know)
> The lockdown and not having a 100% work schedule certainly helped me. Don't know how this goes if you work full time. Incl. with the social awkwardness of not eating during lunchbreak. It's easier however to eat nothing during the day than eating a salad or something that doesn't fill you up but activates your digestion. that is torture.
> when you feel really shitty (cold, weak or irritated/bad mood), a solid meal of carbs (pasta&vegetables) during the day restores everything to 100%. Best medicine.
> my pee was darker coloured than usual. I was definitely detoxing some stuff out. Had the same experience during 100% fasting
> feeling cold/freezing sucks! IMO it's not worth it, maybe refill a little bit in those circumstances until the body gets more adapted after 1-2 weeks.
> Eating becomes almost a sacred and humbling experience :D It's a shame my muslim friends live in another city. I'm sure it would have added another dimension to eat together in the evenings. Next year.
> Again, I'm not a religious nut (and I don't mean I'm not muslim which I'm not - I mean I don't believe those BS fad-diet "Intermittent Fasting here, Keto there whatever you have to do it 100% and buy my programme" type of guys). So when *I* decided to take a break I very well did that. 2 weekends of solid smoking weed and eating way too much shit. --> for the first time in my life I could actually see that I had gotten fat back over night. I don't mean bloated water weight. But love handles. 1 day of binge eating equals 4 days of ramadan-light-eating to shed it again.
> I get a different feeling for hunger. I have ZERO hangry-episodes.
> the not-eating almost gets addictive ("can I go for 1 more hour? - no problem!")
> I did more sports and made sure to do strenght stuff (more pullups etc) from fear of losing muscle mass. It didn't happen, which is great!
> under-eating + alcohol => horrible hangover! :C
> as I have to wear a mask in some situations (in stores or the tram) I could smell that I must have gotten that "ketosis breath" or whatever. Not cool.

Conclusion:
> I wonder if the lost body-fat will bounce right back once I go back to 'regular' eating during the day, during work etc. I don't have to be shredded. I think it's a body-type thing and normal and good to have some reserves. If I were as thin now as 10 years ago in my 20s I would look like a freak LOL
> I don't think that "in nature" this would work. In "nature" or a "survival situation" whatever that means, I would make sure to do the opposite as to not lose that much bodymass so quickly
> I most certainly don't regret doing it
> It's a great tool to have in your backpocket, knowing you can go until nighttime without eating

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
TLDR = I am losing bodyfat rapidly. I think that in nature this would be horrible. Also I'm freezing more. But the not eating almost gets addictive. Curious if this will have a jojo-effect.
I'm also not 1000% strict (milk in coffee, when I feel like it or e.g. visit my mother during the day and she cooks of course I eat that)

I'm actually coming back to this thread.
As it was Ramadan and some friends of mine were doing it, I was looking forward to joining in, just for the heck of it. But in a "light"-version, so with drinking fluids etc. On days that required my full performance, or when I got too cold, I would just eat regularly for a day. Also nice pork, hmmm. Allah will forgive me :D often I would not wait until sundown at, say 21:40, and then go to bed stuffed but instead eat at 8pm. But in general, it was a great experience, and I think that it's a shame that Christians don't have something that is hard that everybody does together and can overcome together. So I had been looking forward to doing it together with my friends from Morocco. Next year again, maybe with a bit more adherence even.

In other words this led down to me doing Time Restricted Eating (where I ate in a period of maybe 2hrs per day). I'm usually really skeptical of new fads etc. If a lot of the experts were wrong 20 years ago, they can also be wrong today.
Here though, I involuntarily did it myself..

Results after 1 month:
> at first it's really hard, I felt quite weak. After eating I immediately was ko-ed and fell asleep. My days got a lot shorter because I fell asleep a couple of hours earlier.
> after 4-5 days I got used to it (less weakness etc. but I'm still more cold than usual)
> you simply cannot eat as much quantity. I had to buy way less and "almost felt sorry" for all the nice stuff that I could not eat (fruits, vegetables and cheese that I bought too much of)
> every morning I could see the weight go down on the scale. around 0,4kg per day. I know weight is irrelevant it's body fat. I could also see in the mirror that I got slimmer (I'm not fat, but definitely thicker than 10years ago as a poor university student, you know)
> The lockdown and not having a 100% work schedule certainly helped me. Don't know how this goes if you work full time. Incl. with the social awkwardness of not eating during lunchbreak. It's easier however to eat nothing during the day than eating a salad or something that doesn't fill you up but activates your digestion. that is torture.
> when you feel really shitty (cold, weak or irritated/bad mood), a solid meal of carbs (pasta&vegetables) during the day restores everything to 100%. Best medicine.
> my pee was darker coloured than usual. I was definitely detoxing some stuff out. Had the same experience during 100% fasting
> feeling cold/freezing sucks! IMO it's not worth it, maybe refill a little bit in those circumstances until the body gets more adapted after 1-2 weeks.
> Eating becomes almost a sacred and humbling experience :D It's a shame my muslim friends live in another city. I'm sure it would have added another dimension to eat together in the evenings. Next year.
> Again, I'm not a religious nut (and I don't mean I'm not muslim which I'm not - I mean I don't believe those BS fad-diet "Intermittent Fasting here, Keto there whatever you have to do it 100% and buy my programme" type of guys). So when *I* decided to take a break I very well did that. 2 weekends of solid smoking weed and eating way too much shit. --> for the first time in my life I could actually see that I had gotten fat back over night. I don't mean bloated water weight. But love handles. 1 day of binge eating equals 4 days of ramadan-light-eating to shed it again.
> I get a different feeling for hunger. I have ZERO hangry-episodes.
> the not-eating almost gets addictive ("can I go for 1 more hour? - no problem!")
> I did more sports and made sure to do strenght stuff (more pullups etc) from fear of losing muscle mass. It didn't happen, which is great!
> under-eating + alcohol => horrible hangover! :C
> as I have to wear a mask in some situations (in stores or the tram) I could smell that I must have gotten that "ketosis breath" or whatever. Not cool.

Conclusion:
> I wonder if the lost body-fat will bounce right back once I go back to 'regular' eating during the day, during work etc. I don't have to be shredded. I think it's a body-type thing and normal and good to have some reserves. If I were as thin now as 10 years ago in my 20s I would look like a freak LOL
> I don't think that "in nature" this would work. In "nature" or a "survival situation" whatever that means, I would make sure to do the opposite as to not lose that much bodymass so quickly
> I most certainly don't regret doing it
> It's a great tool to have in your backpocket, knowing you can go until nighttime without eating
I've accidentally done this since high school. I wouldn't wake up in time to eat breakfast before school and would be too busy hanging out to eat lunch regularly. Then I would either be going to work or practice and wouldn't eat until late at night. I probably do that same basic thing 28 out of 30 days a month. It's not a rule or anything but my body is just used to running on one meal a day. I almost never have a snack. The difference is that I tend to eat a GIANT dinner or at least a really calorie dense meal.

But a normal day for me is 5 shots of espresso on ice to start the day and 500ml of water before I leave my house. Then I drink at least 2 more liters of water while I'm at work and on the road. Then whenever I get home from work I have a large dinner. Could be healthy. Grilled chicken, asparagus, some sort of roasted veg like carrots. Or it may be a dozen wings and a large pizza. Just depends on my mood.

I have more energy than pretty much anyone that I know.

But the main thing is that I listen to my body. If I need to eat something on a Saturday morning or Thursday afternoon then I eat something. But I'm also quick to shoot down the idea of having lunch just because it's "lunch time."

I can't say that it's a good thing or that people should follow my lead. I can only say that most of my family is obese many diabetics and I'm 175lb with an A1c of 4.2. Low blood pressure. Resting heart rate is good considering I rarely do any kind of real cardio 55 to 65bpm). Cholesterol is good.

So I'm going to continue to listen to my body, stay hydrated, and ride this train until the wheels fall off and I need to do something else.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I've accidentally done this since high school. I wouldn't wake up in time to eat breakfast before school and would be too busy hanging out to eat lunch regularly. Then I would either be going to work or practice and wouldn't eat until late at night. I probably do that same basic thing 28 out of 30 days a month. It's not a rule or anything but my body is just used to running on one meal a day. I almost never have a snack. The difference is that I tend to eat a GIANT dinner or at least a really calorie dense meal.

But a normal day for me is 5 shots of espresso on ice to start the day and 500ml of water before I leave my house. Then I drink at least 2 more liters of water while I'm at work and on the road. Then whenever I get home from work I have a large dinner. Could be healthy. Grilled chicken, asparagus, some sort of roasted veg like carrots. Or it may be a dozen wings and a large pizza. Just depends on my mood.

I have more energy than pretty much anyone that I know.

But the main thing is that I listen to my body. If I need to eat something on a Saturday morning or Thursday afternoon then I eat something. But I'm also quick to shoot down the idea of having lunch just because it's "lunch time."

I can't say that it's a good thing or that people should follow my lead. I can only say that most of my family is obese many diabetics and I'm 175lb with an A1c of 4.2. Low blood pressure. Resting heart rate is good considering I rarely do any kind of real cardio 55 to 65bpm). Cholesterol is good.

So I'm going to continue to listen to my body, stay hydrated, and ride this train until the wheels fall off and I need to do something else.
a lot of your post goes for me also

but I do less caffeine and weight 20lbs more

I eat enough for a day during a 5-6 hour stretch

I love going from 10 pm to 5pm the next day with nothing but a sip of coffee and water...cleans my body out it feels like

Sister Mary Elephant

Sep 1, 2019
The biggest benefit of the fasting for me was setting a rule and following through. I have been doing 16/8 since January and the discipline does wonders for the psyche. Switch to black coffee, but be picky. Good black coffee is worth the effort to make it right

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
The biggest benefit of the fasting for me was setting a rule and following through. I have been doing 16/8 since January and the discipline does wonders for the psyche. Switch to black coffee, but be picky. Good black coffee is worth the effort to make it right
Preach on Sister Mary
what coffee do you prefer?

Thuglife13

✝👦🍕🍦🍩
Dec 15, 2018
Been doing Intermittent Fasting for a couple years now and I really like it. Haven't lost much weight because I eat like a fat kid when I eat which is usually between 5pm-10pm during the week and the weekends I eat like a Savage. I take fish oil and a multivitamin split in half (first meal/last meal) and drink well over a gallon of water everyday which starts with 20oz as soon as I get up. My family has been losing 10-8 rounds to Diabeetus and I think this has helped keep me without the blood aids so far eventhough I consume lots of sugar and carbs in energy drinks, pizza, ice cream, and doughnuts lol...