The sponsor issue is much bigger deal than people realize. Ed Ruth signs with Bellator.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

One of the MMA's most coveted prospects is headed to Bellator.

Three-time national wrestling champion and four-time All-American Ed Ruth has signed a contract to compete in the promotion. The former Penn State standout had been talking to several promotions as he trains for the 2016 Olympics, but decided on Bellator in large part because of his rapport with president Scott Coker.

"I've known for a long time now that after I get Olympic gold around my neck, I was going to go get some MMA gold for my waist," Ruth told MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani. "I've been talking with all the major organizations, and at the end of the day, I really believe in what Scott Coker is doing with Bellator. They're signing the top talent, they're putting on exciting fights, and they're letting me secure my own sponsors.
It is officially ON now folks. Ed Ruth is an animal. A VERY legit MMA prospect. He's not Phil Davis (and that's not a job at Phil). Ruth is athletic and explosive, and I think he will really take to striking.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4RGk6PrmyI

Now Bellator has locked up Aaron Pico & Ed Ruth. That is HUGE for them. And what I highlighted above, is certainly going to play a role in Bellator continuing to lock up even more talent.

Ministry of Silly Walks

came in like a wrecking ball
First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
"but decided on Bellator in large part because of his rapport with president Scott Coker."
sounds like he sees why people like coker so much, and he wants his own sponsors. the two big things that will hurt the ufc in the future, and the reebok deal is for the next six years. ouch.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
This kid is gonna be a MONSTER..good luck stopping his TDs..

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
"but decided on Bellator in large part because of his rapport with president Scott Coker."
sounds like he sees why people like coker so much, and he wants his own sponsors. the two big things that will hurt the ufc in the future, and the reebok deal is for the next six years. ouch.
His management team, Zinkin Entertainment, has a good relationship with Coker. Ed, Pico, and Phil Davis are all Zinkin guys.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
His management team, Zinkin Entertainment, has a good relationship with Coker. Ed, Pico, and Phil Davis are all Zinkin guys.
From their website.

Zinkinmma.com and Zinkin Entertainment and Sports Management are dedicated to the sport professional mixed martial arts (MMA). Zinkin, and its principals Bob Cook and DeWayne Zinkin, Jr. train and manage many of the sports top names including Cain Velasquez, Daniel Cormier, Chuck Liddell, Phil Davis, Luke Rockhold, Aaron Pico, and many other fighters. Zinkin's fighters compete in the UFC, ONE Fighting Championship, Bellator, World Series of Fighting (WSOF) and other promotions.

http://miles-anderson-n3p4.squarespace.com/

Looks like they have an AKA connection.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
From their website.

Zinkinmma.com and Zinkin Entertainment and Sports Management are dedicated to the sport professional mixed martial arts (MMA). Zinkin, and its principals Bob Cook and DeWayne Zinkin, Jr. train and manage many of the sports top names including Cain Velasquez, Daniel Cormier, Chuck Liddell, Phil Davis, Luke Rockhold, Aaron Pico, and many other fighters. Zinkin's fighters compete in the UFC, ONE Fighting Championship, Bellator, World Series of Fighting (WSOF) and other promotions.

http://miles-anderson-n3p4.squarespace.com/

Looks like they have an AKA connection.
Oh shi-, emerson (love that word for another reason) big names

wiggum

Feb 22, 2015
Ed Ruth will join Mark Schultz, in my opinion, as the most talented wrestler to ever try his hand at MMA. Darion Caldwell is probably right behind them.

P

Punch

you're talking about coker. has he treated anyone bad yet?
Not that i'm aware of. By no means am i tossing rocks coker's way... I'm always a little leery, perhaps jaded even. I want to see the fighters taken care of for all they go through for our entertainment and their prize.

Road to hell adage, absolute power adage, etc.

Regardless of how well a ufc competitor treats the fighters currently, I still think a fighter's union is the correct response at this time.

Ministry of Silly Walks

First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
Regardless of how well a ufc competitor treats the fighters currently, I still think a fighter's union is the correct response at this time.
i agree that they need to get something going for all fighters. i do think coker is the best in the business by far, and he respects the fighters, so i think he will be good to him.

Ministry of Silly Walks

First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
In his 3 fights so far he has made 10k, 10k, and 15k.
did he get a win bonus against marshall, or is he paid just a flat rate, win or lose? i'd say with more fights his pay will go up. he's just 3 fights in with bellator, and he's 1-1 and 1 nc.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
In his 3 fights so far he has made 10k, 10k, and 15k.
Was he signed by Coker or was it a Bjorn relic? It is tough to have a gauge on Bellator pay atm, they only have a TV deal, no PVP revenue, small global deals if any. In terms of money generation, they are leagues behind the UFC. So while that pay is bad, it isn't leagues behind the UFC, which is what makes the UFC pay so bad, because they are earning hundreds of millions.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Was he signed by Coker or was it a Bjorn relic? It is tough to have a gauge on Bellator pay atm, they only have a TV deal, no PVP revenue, small global deals if any. In terms of money generation, they are leagues behind the UFC. So while that pay is bad, it isn't leagues behind the UFC, which is what makes the UFC pay so bad, because they are earning hundreds of millions.
Coker signed him.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
The question Luke Thomas should have asked, but didn't in his recent interview with Scott Coker, was is Bellator currently paying out the same 68%, as what he had set up with Strikeforce. If not, why not, and is he making steps to change it? Hardball question, but if you really want to use that % for advertisement, which he does by mentioning it, then isn't it only fair to ask him the situation with his current promotion.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Coker signed him.
I'm going to chalk this up to growing pains for now, but if in a year or two, when hopefully they are putting on smaller pvps like Strikeforce did, then I think we can seriously question Scott Coker and Viacom about pay. Is that fair enough?