General The Supreme Court has overturned Roe vs Wade.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Approve of federally-protected access to legal abortion being overturned?

• Yes, it's murder

• No, it's a woman's right to choose

• But what about Hunter Biiiiiiiiiiiiiden

Results are only viewable after voting.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Is this a large enough group to potentially manage that? They must be Catholics I presume?

I must say from the outside looking in, it's insane that a first world country could consider banning birth control.

It ends up being powerful enough depending on how state representation is set up. In the same thread you can find the bill in Louisiana That is looking to make personhood the moment that an egg is fertilized. And with that to end that two cell structure Will be legally deemed murder. This of course has all kinds of implications for IUD usage. Other birth control usage. Ectopic pregnancy by a doctor to save a woman's life. Etc. Etc.
In all cases these positions are democracy minorities but can be empowered in something like the Senate or local state representation.

Beyond this, whenever the federal government tried to standardize everybody's insurance, they still left it linked to a lot of businesses. Some businesses sued for their right to deny birth control coverage under the employee health insurance.

I also have patients that get transferred to Catholic hospitals who refuse to allow a willing doctor to give a willing patient a tubal ligation during a c section....forcing the women's to get a second surgery at a later date. All while taking Medicare and Medicaid dollars from the state.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
It ends up being powerful enough depending on how state representation is set up. In the same thread you can find the bill in Louisiana That is looking to make personhood the moment that an egg is fertilized. And with that to end that two cell structure Will be legally deemed murder. This of course has all kinds of implications for IUD usage. Other birth control usage. Ectopic pregnancy by a doctor to save a woman's life. Etc. Etc.
In all cases these positions are democracy minorities but can be empowered in something like the Senate or local state representation.

Beyond this, whenever the federal government tried to standardize everybody's insurance, they still left it linked to a lot of businesses. Some businesses sued for their right to deny birth control coverage under the employee health insurance.

I also have patients that get transferred to Catholic hospitals who refuse to allow a willing doctor to give a willing patient a tubal ligation during a c section....forcing the women's to get a second surgery at a later date. All while taking Medicare and Medicaid dollars from the state.

The equivalent over here is jehovas witnesses who refuse a blood transfusion.

Happens about once every 2 years. Makes the news.

But here the state intervenes.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
The equivalent over here is jehovas witnesses who refuse a blood transfusion.

Happens about once every 2 years. Makes the news.

But here the state intervenes.
My Jehovah's witness patients refuse blood. There's no need for the state to intervene when it's an adult. It also doesn't affect others trying to ban blood transfusions for others.
Only do you get to the ethics of children being refused by their parents do you get some messy between religion and the state.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
My Jehovah's witness patients refuse blood. There's no need for the state to intervene when it's an adult. It also doesn't affect others trying to ban blood transfusions for others.
Only do you get to the ethics of children being refused by their parents do you get some messy between religion and the state.

Yeah sorry. I meant children of jehovas.

Adult ones just die I guess.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Religion is just the Dana White for capitalism's Fritata brothers on this issue.

This is about 'supply of infants', as stated in the leaked draft (although in a slightly different context).

If you are scaring off all the immigrants, and pay the filthy poors so little that they can't plan on having kids, then you need to stop them flushing babies and force their hand.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
You have a pregnancy and you didn't know you were pregnant. You drink alcohol or smoke a cigarette. Some zealot DA besides to try to link your activity with your miscarriage. Of course it would probably fail in court, but maybe not. Every jury would be sophisticated enough to understand the reasonable doubt on this. Regardless, you could find yourself with murder charges for your miscarriage as well.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
She knew she was about 4 months pregnant.

1> that would be a legal abortion then.

2> I dont give a fuck. Criminalizing women for not being optimal during their pregnancy is wrong. Infinite amount of shit behavior that leads to dead babies.

Didn't take your blood pressure meds? Placental abruption. Manslaughter.
Obese? Gestational diabetes. Still birth. Why didn't you lose weight or eat less?!? Manslaughter.
Etc etc.

Shit is wrong and they are just going after addicts who can't defend themselves which is also so ridiculously unfair administration of the law.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
1> that would be a legal abortion then.
If she had gotten one, yes.

2> I dont give a fuck. Criminalizing women for not being optimal during their pregnancy is wrong. Infinite amount of shit behavior that leads to dead babies.
It's not a question of her no eating organic foods. She wasn't sure whether or not she wanted to keep the baby, and just kept doing drugs.

Didn't take your blood pressure meds? Placental abruption. Manslaughter.
Obese? Gestational diabetes. Still birth. Why didn't you lose weight or eat less?!? Manslaughter.
Etc etc.

Shit is wrong and they are just going after addicts who can't defend themselves which is also so ridiculously unfair administration of the law.
I understand your concern about the slippery slope, but this isn't the example to hitch your wagon to. She knew she was pregnant, the ME cited her drug use as a contributing factor, and the outrage over this one mostly seems to stem from a witness saying that her drug use "might not" have caused the miscarriage.

Out of curiosity, how did this story come on your radar?

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
This story just came up in the news column on Reddit for me. Looks like they couldn’t prove drug use was the cause of death. Bad precedent.

Poolaw, then about 15 weeks pregnant, was at home in January 2020 when she realized something was wrong and called an ambulance. On the ride to Comanche County Hospital, she told an EMT, without providing details, that she had previously used methamphetamine. She was never drug tested, and, after she miscarried, left the hospital without incident. But her admission that she’d used drugs must have set off alarm bells. A medical examiner tested the fetus and found traces of meth in its liver and brain.

Still, prosecutors were never able to prove that the drug had ended the pregnancy. In fact, the medical examiner testified at Poolaw’s trial that he had noticed another compelling possible cause: congenital abnormalities in the developing fetus.

There’s another reason this Supreme Court decision could lead to more miscarriage prosecutions: Self-induced abortions and miscarriages—which occur in one in four pregnancies—can look identical. If someone shows up at the hospital and says they’re having a miscarriage, doctors might suspect there is more going on. In other words, pregnancies that don’t result in birth become suspect in places where abortion is outlawed.

Never heard of this site before but there it is.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
This story just came up in the news column on Reddit for me. Looks like they couldn’t prove drug use was the cause of death. Bad precedent.

Poolaw, then about 15 weeks pregnant, was at home in January 2020 when she realized something was wrong and called an ambulance. On the ride to Comanche County Hospital, she told an EMT, without providing details, that she had previously used methamphetamine. She was never drug tested, and, after she miscarried, left the hospital without incident. But her admission that she’d used drugs must have set off alarm bells. A medical examiner tested the fetus and found traces of meth in its liver and brain.

Still, prosecutors were never able to prove that the drug had ended the pregnancy. In fact, the medical examiner testified at Poolaw’s trial that he had noticed another compelling possible cause: congenital abnormalities in the developing fetus.

There’s another reason this Supreme Court decision could lead to more miscarriage prosecutions: Self-induced abortions and miscarriages—which occur in one in four pregnancies—can look identical. If someone shows up at the hospital and says they’re having a miscarriage, doctors might suspect there is more going on. In other words, pregnancies that don’t result in birth become suspect in places where abortion is outlawed.

Never heard of this site before but there it is.
It's not a coincidence that a story from 2 years ago is being passed around today and being connected to a SCOTUS decision that still hasn't happened. Anyways, apparently she knew she was 4 months pregnant and the medical examiner said her drug use was a factor. Mother Jones has a notorious left leaning bias. Here's a New York Times article if you're interested. It's a little more centered, but make no mistake it's definitely a slippery slope to be starting down.

Brittney Poolaw, then 19 years old, showed up at the Comanche County Memorial Hospital in Oklahoma last year after suffering a miscarriage at home. She had been about 17 weeks pregnant. According to an affidavit from a police detective who interviewed her, she admitted to hospital staff that she had recently used both methamphetamine and marijuana.

A medical examiner cited her drug use as one of several “conditions contributing” to the miscarriage, a list which also included congenital abnormality and placental abruption. Poolaw was arrested on a charge of manslaughter in the first degree, and because she couldn’t afford a $20,000 bond, jailed for a year and a half awaiting trial.

The trial finally took place this month and lasted one day. According to a local television station, an expert witness for the prosecution testified that methamphetamine use may not have been directly responsible for the death of Poolaw’s fetus. Nevertheless, after deliberating for less than three hours, a jury found her guilty, and she was sentenced to four years in prison.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Lol at justifying why this woman should be in jail due to drug use when terminating would have been legally fine.

M

member 1013

Religion is just the Dana White for capitalism's Fritata brothers on this issue.

This is about 'supply of infants', as stated in the leaked draft (although in a slightly different context).

If you are scaring off all the immigrants, and pay the filthy poors so little that they can't plan on having kids, then you need to stop them flushing babies and force their hand.
9C1721D2-074F-44AC-B6B1-9B23E317B152.jpeg

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Lol at justifying why this woman should be in jail due to drug use when terminating would have been legally fine.
Given that at 4 months a woman is showing that she's pregnant, it's hardly unreasonable to think that a woman 4 months pregnant would have been planning to keep the baby. If that were the case, and remembering that after 16 weeks chances of a miscarriage drops to like 1% or less, then I can't see a good reason why drug use resulting in the death of the baby wouldn't be charged as neglect causing death. If she didn't want the baby, she could have gotten an abortion and this is a non-story.

Also, tag me, pussy.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
IVF embryo in Louisiana and elsewhere. Are they going to force you to implant those "persons" because destroying them is murder?

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
Given that at 4 months a woman is showing that she's pregnant, it's hardly unreasonable to think that a woman 4 months pregnant would have been planning to keep the baby. If that were the case, and remembering that after 16 weeks chances of a miscarriage drops to like 1% or less, then I can't see a good reason why drug use resulting in the death of the baby wouldn't be charged as neglect causing death. If she didn't want the baby, she could have gotten an abortion and this is a non-story.

Also, tag me, pussy.
Lots of women aren't aware that they're pregnant 4 months in.

??

NotBanjaxo

Formerly someone other than Banjaxo
Nov 16, 2019

Also, tag me, pussy.
A friend of mine was more than 4 months pregnant when she found out, it didn't show at all (and she's never been overweight).

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
A friend of mine was more than 4 months pregnant when she found out, it didn't show at all (and she's never been overweight).
She didn't notice 4 plus months of not having a period or the other fairly lengthy list of pregnancy symptoms?

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019

Also, tag me, pussy.

Like man if it's a not a non story why is it like being questioned about it being re opening like 2 years later?

Like anyone that can like change his mind in like 4 posts is like weird.

Man.

NotBanjaxo

Formerly someone other than Banjaxo
Nov 16, 2019
She didn't notice 4 plus months of not having a period or the other fairly lengthy list of pregnancy symptoms?
I don't know what to tell you, she went to the doctor with concerns about a variety of things (I don't know the exact details, but I can only presume that those were among them), and was told she was pregnant.

M

member 3289

A lot of women have irregular periods so it's definitely possible, even if it is rare.