General The Supreme Court has overturned Roe vs Wade.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Approve of federally-protected access to legal abortion being overturned?

• Yes, it's murder

• No, it's a woman's right to choose

• But what about Hunter Biiiiiiiiiiiiiden

Results are only viewable after voting.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
So...no abortions ever?
Or is this the 6 week thing that Texas is dealing with?

Either way...Unintended consequences would be huge if this goes through.

Pretty stupid.
Making policy based on their feelings and not their brains.
Abortion will be decided by states rather than federally. Assuming this goes all the way through of course.

The fact that this leak happened should be concerning but, whatevs.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Abortion will be decided by states rather than federally. Assuming this goes all the way through of course.

The fact that this leak happened should be concerning but, whatevs.
The leak is definitely an issue.

I've always been a states > federal guy when it comes to policy, but this is pretty heavy. For some, hopping a flight or making a drive to another state in order to get a procedure done is no big deal. For others, you might as well be asking them to fly to the moon by flapping their arms.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
So...no abortions ever?
Or is this the 6 week thing that Texas is dealing with?

Pretty stupid.
Making policy based on their feelings and not their brains.

It removes federal protection and allows states to simply ban it outright

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
The leak is definitely an issue.

I've always been a states > federal guy when it comes to policy, but this is pretty heavy. For some, hopping a flight or making a drive to another state in order to get a procedure done is no big deal. For others, you might as well be asking them to fly to the moon by flapping their arms.
For sure

There's danger also in their line of reasoning. The draft is overturning this on the basis of the word "abortion" not appearing in the constitution

Well "birth control" didnt appear in the constitution either

As well as many other words in rulings of the past

So much for case precedent I guess

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Also, I would argue that there would be no unintended consequences.
Those supporting this move want to ban abortion and criminalize the person performing the procedure and often the person receiving it.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
For sure

There's danger also in their line of reasoning. The draft is overturning this on the basis of the word "abortion" not appearing in the constitution

Well "birth control" didnt appear in the constitution either

As well as many other words in rulings of the past

So much for case precedent I guess

I posted the senator above using his same faulty concrete logic to remove interracial marriage protection.
Comically we have a black supreme Court judge looking to overturn roe v. Wade and he is married to a white woman. It is the same enumerated rights used to protect his mixed race marriage that is the basis for roe v. Wade.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
I posted the senator above using his same faulty concrete logic to remove interracial marriage protection.
Comically we have a black supreme Court judge looking to overturn roe v. Wade and he is married to a white woman. It is the same enumerated rights used to protect his mixed race marriage that is the basis for roe v. Wade.

i saw that post of yours and that shocked me

i get the abortion debate i guess... to an extent. because i used to be religious and was very anti-abortion (although i think i always was pro-choice)

but for a sitting senator or congress person to mention interracial marriage was jaw-dropping. like wtf. he's straight up racist and doesnt give a fuccccck lol

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
but for a sitting senator or congress person to mention interracial marriage was jaw-dropping. like wtf. he's straight up racist and doesnt give a fuccccck lol
He would argue that he's not racist. He simply believes in the legal right for states to be racist. He's confident in the good will of the people to not implement systemically racist policies like banning interracial marriage. Therefore, it's okay if he continues to remove protections because they were never needed in the first place. Thumbs up vote for me again

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Those supporting this move want to be an abortion and criminalize the person performing the procedure and often the person receiving it.
In 2019 there were 630,000 abortions.
Excuse the obvious hyperbole, but if the honks for this movements get what they are after and that number goes to 0, that's 630,000 unwanted kids.

Roughly 135,000 children are adopted in the United States each year.

I'd argue the unintended consequences could be severe.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
In 2019 there were 630,000 abortions.
Excuse the obvious hyperbole, but if this law gets what they are after and that number goes to 0, that's 630,000 unwanted kids.

Roughly 135,000 children are adopted in the United States each year.

I'd argue the unintended consequences could be severe.

I live and work with the people that support this kind of ban.
They want those 500,000 children to be born. They believe that everything will be Rosie because once you have a child you'll figure it out. They say things like "nobody regrets having a child, but many regret their abortion".
They believe in a ethereal village that is going to come and help these women with this new unwanted child. And finally, many have a piece of believing that abortion allows promiscuous activity in the way that birth control did. If you didn't have abortion, you wouldn't have the pregnancy in the first place. So if you do get pregnant and can't have an abortion well then it's self-responsibility and it's all your fault.

With this as a package line of thinking, I do not see supporters suddenly changing their mind. Hundreds of thousands of women are saddled with unwanted children.

I think that most people would whittle away at the concrete absolute band with things like exceptions for danger to the mother medical problems that are deadly to the baby and rape an incest. But there's a very vocal minority that want to ban those as well.
Here in Texas there are no exceptions. They banned abortion down to about 6 weeks. The comically made an exception so that a rapist can't sue you for getting an abortion of the rapist baby. But the rapist family can sue you. And since they took the time to carve out that a rapist can't sue you but not allow abortion in the case of rape. They are okay with this. They thought it through made very specific rules and didn't except rape and incest.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Is anybody else aware of that basically everybody except Catholics were accepting of abortion until around the 1970s?

" The breath of Life" was the line in the sand for when life began. Evangelicals made a big shift on this and have been the primary driving force for abortion bans.
I have a hard time taking seriously religious politicking that is based on a significant 180° turn in our parents lifetime.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Is anybody else aware of that basically everybody except Catholics were accepting of abortion until around the 1970s?

" The breath of Life" was the line in the sand for when life began. Evangelicals made a big shift on this and have been the primary driving force for abortion bans.
I have a hard time taking seriously religious politicking that is based on a significant 180° turn in our parents lifetime.
Christ, I fucking hate religion. Best two things we've invented to keep ourselves from thinking, the internet and religion. Just shut off your brain...

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I live and work with the people that support this kind of ban.
They want those 500,000 children to be born. They believe that everything will be Rosie because once you have a child you'll figure it out. They say things like "nobody regrets having a child, but many regret their abortion".
They believe in a ethereal village that is going to come and help these women with this new unwanted child. And finally, many have a piece of believing that abortion allows promiscuous activity in the way that birth control did. If you didn't have abortion, you wouldn't have the pregnancy in the first place. So if you do get pregnant and can't have an abortion well then it's self-responsibility and it's all your fault.

With this as a package line of thinking, I do not see supporters suddenly changing their mind. Hundreds of thousands of women are saddled with unwanted children.

I think that most people would whittle away at the concrete absolute band with things like exceptions for danger to the mother medical problems that are deadly to the baby and rape an incest. But there's a very vocal minority that want to ban those as well.
Here in Texas there are no exceptions. They banned abortion down to about 6 weeks. The comically made an exception so that a rapist can't sue you for getting an abortion of the rapist baby. But the rapist family can sue you. And since they took the time to carve out that a rapist can't sue you but not allow abortion in the case of rape. They are okay with this. They thought it through made very specific rules and didn't except rape and incest.
Welcome to Crazy Town

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Welcome to Crazy Town

Try being the minority voice in this kind of environment stating that you don't think roe v Wade is that bad. That it represents a decent compromise of allowing a woman's right over society's interest and the early part of their pregnancy. But as the pregnancy progresses, past viability, society now has an interest in its future member.
Stating this can get your business boycotted. People will treat you like you're a baby killer and frame you as such. You must just love abortions because you think making them illegal is worse than legal and safe.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
The unintended consequences being that women die getting illegal abortions.
And lefties fighting back hard and using similar tactics to attack the Second Ammendment.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

God does not regard the fetus as a soul, no matter how far gestation has progressed. The Law plainly exacts: ‘If a man kills any human life he will be put to death’ (Lev. 24:17). But according to Exodus 21:22–24, the destruction of the fetus is not a capital offense… Clearly, then, in contrast to the mother, the fetus is not reckoned as a soul.”

It's amazing to me that this was a prevalent attitude amongst most Christian sects that now have a completely different view.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Try being the minority voice in this kind of environment stating that you don't think roe v Wade is that bad. That it represents a decent compromise of allowing a woman's right over society's interest and the early part of their pregnancy. But as the pregnancy progresses, past viability, society now has an interest in its future member.
Stating this can get your business boycotted. People will treat you like you're a baby killer and frame you as such. You must just love abortions because you think making them illegal is worse than legal and safe.
Can't people be "pro-choice" without being "pro abortion"? Sometimes abortions are obviously acceptable. Rape. Incest. Medical difficulty. In my opinion, to argue against those is lunacy.

But there's also dangers associated with forcing a woman to have a baby she doesn't want. "They'll figure it out" isn't a solution.

It's not a one-size-fits-all situation, so the easiest determination is to let the woman choose. I'd lean on medical professionals to determine how late in the pregnancy it should be allowed.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
The unintended consequences being that women die getting illegal abortions.
If you believe that a fetus at any point is equivalent to a human life and abortion is murder. The same Bible says that capital punishment for murder is God's will. If you die getting an illegal abortion then you were just reaping what you sow. Try not to kill your baby and you won't die of an illegal abortion. Again. I'm not convinced the supporters of this would actually be moved, but these kind of desperate acts.

And lefties fighting back hard and using similar tactics to attack the Second Ammendment.
This is actually a pretty decent point. That would be unintended for the people pushing abortion bans.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Abortion is awful.

That's where their thought process ends. No thought to the future. The future is an illegal procedure you were never going to need or utilize.

Great stuff, Republicans. Please give some thought to not just making it illegal but giving women resources and options, there must be an organization for it

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Abortion is awful.

That's where their thought process ends. No thought to the future. The future is an illegal procedure you were never going to need or utilize.

Great stuff, Republicans. Please give some thought to not just making it illegal but giving women resources and options, there must be an organization for it
One of the major current issues with abortion is that because it's available that's where all the resources and options go.