General The Supreme Court has overturned Roe vs Wade.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Approve of federally-protected access to legal abortion being overturned?

• Yes, it's murder

• No, it's a woman's right to choose

• But what about Hunter Biiiiiiiiiiiiiden

Results are only viewable after voting.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Idk it seems like you are using weird logic here.

1) is clearly only getting worse by banning abortion
2) if 1) is a problem already, banning abortion isn't gonna result in 2)
It's just being observant. People are worried about an outcome that we didn't see when this protection wasn't previously afforded.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Getting pregnant is avoidable with fairly minimal planning.
I think you're giving the poor, who generally don't manage much education, more credit for intelligence than all of history suggests you should. More than that, it's naive.

Again, all I care about is the outcome here, which is predictable.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
It's just being observant. People are worried about an outcome that we didn't see when this protection wasn't previously afforded.
How do you come to this conclusion? We didn't see what? Am I missing something?
We have no real data to rely on since it never happened before in current society, right?

AFAIK late 60s/early 70s is where abortion law was slowly changed, no? So before it was illegal..

Now of course there are many other factors that come with it, but since the 70s the birth rate in the US just barely scratched on the replacement rate a couple of times, while before that it was way above that.

IMO it is more logical to assume that birth rates will go up, and more unwanted children will be born, than the other way around. At least I'm not aware of any data describing a different scenario.

Which prolly is what the GOP hopes will happen as well, they rather have American plebs (that vote for them) than immigrant plebs (that won't vote for them). Seemingly it fits into their goals.

How do you battle the demographic bomb without immigration?
This could be an attempt at that.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Historically, couples who don't have access to birth control are really, really good at not producing unwanted babies, because it gives them greater intellect and self discipline. That's exactly what happens.

See? Only good things come from pretending reality is different!

There was no internet when poor people had the greatest wealth. Better ban internet.

NotBanjaxo

Formerly someone other than Banjaxo
Nov 16, 2019
You realize it's actually pretty difficult to conceive a child and that it can only happen on a handful of days in a month, yes?
That's why the rhythm method has been so incredibly successful for Catholics down the years.

Like this family for instance:

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
To be clear, I think abortion is the worst form of birth control.

And I think people should have to earn the right to become a parent, but that's in my Utopia.

One thing to factor, in my mind, is that the criminal element generally doesn't come from loving families living above the poverty line. Is it really so bad to help impoverished people have access to birth control?
Food for thought

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
How do you come to this conclusion? We didn't see what? Am I missing something?
We have no real data to rely on since it never happened before in current society, right?
We can look at lost of human history to extrapolate what not having legal abortion might look like.

lowly changed, no? So before it was illegal..
Correct.

Now of course there are many other factors that come with it, but since the 70s the birth rate in the US just barely scratched on the replacement rate a couple of times, while before that it was way above that.
The 70s was when inflation started to take off and the middle and lower class became poorer.

IMO it is more logical to assume that birth rates will go up, and more unwanted children will be born, than the other way around. At least I'm not aware of any data describing a different scenario.
Right now when everything is more expensive than its ever been you think men are going to he spreading their seed as the please knowing that if they knock someone up they're paying for it for 18 years? Sir.

Which prolly is what the GOP hopes will happen as well, they rather have American plebs (that vote for them) than immigrant plebs (that won't vote for them). Seemingly it fits into their goals.

How do you battle the demographic bomb without immigration?
This could be an attempt at that.
Could be. Personally declining populations isn't something that concerns me. It's a self correcting issue.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I think you're giving the poor, who generally don't manage much education, more credit for intelligence than all of history suggests you should. More than that, it's naive.

Again, all I care about is the outcome here, which is predictable.
I really hope you don't realize the argument you're making here.