VID The truth behind Evan Tanners death - by Bobby Razak

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Bobby Razak

BobbyRazakMovies.com
Mar 17, 2015
After thinking about this, I'm not sure it's fair to say his ego killed him. Remember, in the early going he sent some text messages asking for help, so that immediately complicates the issue. I'm not sure how quickly he expected help to arrive, or whether he anticipated the difficulties in locating someone who keeps on the move. But clearly he was open to getting help at one point.

What I think happened is that he interpreted the lack of help arriving as a (mystical) sign that he was supposed to make it out alive on his own. In fact, getting in touch with his "power of one" credo might have given him some inner confidence that led him to make a bad decision to not detour into the nearby town.

A picture like this is substantially different than one of stubborn pride, IMO. His preparation and planning don't indicate a haughty attitude, one that would make him believe that he could get himself out of any danger no matter what the circumstances. Evan put a lot of thought and care into his journey---he just made a couple of mistakes along the way.

I think it IS fair to say that his beliefs influenced the fatal decision he made (to not seek help in the nearby town), but I'm not so sure we can reduce his decision to pride, per se. If he thought what lay ahead was a test of his strength, or fate itself ("I'm meant to keep walking, and not stop at this town") that's different than thinking "I've got this. No problem."

So, I don't think we remove pride from the equation, but it's fairer to Evan to put it in the right context.
Very intelligent response. I'm impressed with this forum

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Bobby - When does your film about Mask release? Do you have a quality trailer that you can share? If so, I would love for you to create a thread about that because I am really looking forward to seeing this.

Last edited:

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Yet another brilliant work by Bobby

Just wanted to say, man, that I have seen maybe everything you've done related to MMA that you have online. Never ONCE have I seen someone's work display such artistic skill while illustrating just how passionate, dedicated, focused (and all those other good adjectives out there) someone has to be to reach the highest level of this game.

The SHIFT series is unlike anything ever done by ANYONE working in the MMA industry.

Your John Perretti piece might be my favorite documentary style shoot on MMA history EVER. EVER, by anybody. I'm not saying this stuff to kiss ass, man. I even posted that Perretti vid months before you joined to spread the gospel of how great your stuff is. To me, anyone who is a fan of MMA MUST see your work.

I could go on about this forever. But the "History of MMA", "Vérité", "SHIFT", and especially this - "1" - are brilliant, just brilliant works of film. I remember the first time I watched this about Evan a few years ago. It was incredibly sad yet at the same time provided some answers that most people didn't really know about.

Just wanted to say thanks man. Thanks for coming here and being part of this Community - I think you'll find that the intelligent and respectful users from that "other site" have grown tired of the endless troll posts, bashing, etc.. and have all gathered here to talk about and celebrate the greatest sport in the world, mixed martial arts.

You signing up here, sharing and elaborating on your work is fucking awesome. Sorry for the FRAT, but this is something I've always wanted to tell you as I've spent hours upon hours of my life in front of a screen unable to take my eyes off of what you've created.

Thank you for all you've done and the hard work that no doubt goes into even the shortest pieces. You are the MAN when it comes to this, no one comes close, at all

Bobby Razak

BobbyRazakMovies.com
Mar 17, 2015
Yet another brilliant work by Bobby

Just wanted to say, man, that I have seen maybe everything you've done related to MMA that you have online. Never ONCE have I seen someone's work display such artistic skill while illustrating just how passionate, dedicated, focused (and all those other good adjectives out there) someone has to be to reach the highest level of this game.

The SHIFT series is unlike anything ever done by ANYONE working in the MMA industry.

Your John Perretti piece might be my favorite documentary style shoot on MMA history EVER. EVER, by anybody. I'm not saying this stuff to kiss ass, man. I even posted that Perretti vid months before you joined to spread the gospel of how great your stuff is. To me, anyone who is a fan of MMA MUST see your work.

I could go on about this forever. But the "History of MMA", "Vérité", "SHIFT", and especially this - "1" - are brilliant, just brilliant works of film. I remember the first time I watched this about Evan a few years ago. It was incredibly sad yet at the same time provided some answers that most people didn't really know about.

Just wanted to say thanks man. Thanks for coming here and being part of this Community - I think you'll find that the intelligent and respectful users from that "other site" have grown tired of the endless troll posts, bashing, etc.. and have all gathered here to talk about and celebrate the greatest sport in the world, mixed martial arts.

You signing up here, sharing and elaborating on your work is fucking awesome. Sorry for the FRAT, but this is something I've always wanted to tell you as I've spent hours upon hours of my life in front of a screen unable to take my eyes off of what you've created.

Thank you for all you've done and the hard work that no doubt goes into even the shortest pieces. You are the MAN when it comes to this, no one comes close, at all
My brother thank you. Hopefully I can give you guys a exclusive view of my Mask film in around a month.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Actually, 3 quick questions (well, kinda long, but you can answer quick) if you have a second. I have been wondering about this forever and even though I just typed up a novel about how much I love your stuff, I would kick myself in the ass if I didn't throw these questions out there.

1) Is there any update/plans to turn the "History of MMA" series into a full length documentary? Each one that you've done (Bas, Frank, Guymon, BJM, etc) have been prime, top notch stuff. A 90+ minute doc with all of that stuff and more would be EPIC

2) All of the backstage, pre fight, rare footage featured in "Vérité" - where is that from?! Is that your own personal collection or was it John's? I mean all the stuff with Bas, BJM, Perretti, Rizzo, Coleman, etc.. just hanging around in the glory days. THAT is the kind of footage I would KILL to see more of! Will we ever see that type of stuff come out?

3) Have you ever considered doing any work about the absolutely bat shit insane PRIDE/Yakuza underworld connection? I'm sure you know all about it, but check out ths thread I made earlier about Fedor vs CroCop if you have the chance.. Went into detail about the meeting when Fedor and his manager were held at gun point and Sakakibara and other goons tried to extort them into signing a bullshit contract for pennies, WHILE he was champion.

Fedor vs CroCop and the Yakuza/PRIDE under world connection... | The MMA Community Forum

I feel like there is no comprehensive documentary out there about that whole deal.. and if anyone could do it justice, it'd be you. It could very well be dangerous to do that kinda work and would probably require mad over seas flights, so I would understand if it's not something that interests ya. But I just had to ask! The entire story is like a movie in itself - that if people saw in a fictional film, they'd say "come on, that's too far fetched, that kind of thing can't happen"...

Except not only DID it happen, it was regular every day operations in the Japanese scene.. I've always been obsessed with gangster/mob movies and docs.. If anyone could ever do that type of piece right, it's you brother.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Thanks so much Bobby and sorry for the giant wall of text.. hard for me not to get excited and passionate about this stuff. Your work evokes that kind of response in me. It's absolutely amazing.

Peace bro.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Very well said WoodenPupa @WoodenPupa. Apologies if any of my comments came off as disrespectful to Evan. I promise that wasn't the intent. I wish like hell that he was still here with us.
Oh, I didn't think it was disrespectful. The way I see it, what we always want is accuracy. And accuracy is a concerted effort, something distributed across the forum membership. We throw out ideas and then build off what others have said to get the picture that feels most right. That's the way a forum should operate, anyway.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
This is spot on. That was a compelling vid for sure.

I have no doubt Razak will roll out similar productions in the future. Can't wait for the great things ahead Bobby!

BJTT-Rizzo

Tanaka Clan
Feb 16, 2015
I was out of touch with MMA for several years. I left my usual discussion forum and didn't bother with news sites. I watched fights but didn't bother with the internet for about 7 years. When I did come back(early14) I had missed a TON. Finding out Evan and Mask died was terrible. I knew nothing of how or when. I'm still playing catch up with everything and videos like the ones you make Bobby Razak @Bobby Razak are very helpful. Thank you.

Kinosis

May 26, 2015
I had talked to him on myspace something like a month before he died. His posts were crazy sounding so I was trying to get to the bottom of it.