General The U.S. Leads The World In Tuition Fees [Infographic]

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
The U.S. Leads The World In Tuition Fees [Infographic]

According to a new report, OECD countries have different approaches and methods when it comes to covering the cost of a university education. While public institutions in many countries charge hefty tuition fees, around a third of OECD countries do not charge any fee at bachelor or equivalent level. The OECD's latest Education at a Glance report names the United States as having the highest average annual tuition fees of any country worldwide at $8,200 a year in public institutions at bachelor level. As expensive as that may seem, most students do benefit from financial support in the form of loans and scholarships while costs are nearly two and a half times as high in independent private institutions.
https://themmacommunity.com/forums/the-off-topic-lounge.8/create-thread
In addition to the United States, Australia, Canada, Chile, Japan and South Korea all have annual tuition fees higher than $4,000. Costs in Chile are particularly high at $7,654 a year while Japan is third-highest at $5,229. Southern European countries have far lower tuition fees by comparison with public institutions in Spain charging $1,830 a year at bachelor level. Italy is slightly cheaper at $1,658 and Portugal comes last on the following infographic with $1,124.

And I thought post-secondary was expensive in Canada!

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
The U.S. Leads The World In Tuition Fees [Infographic]

According to a new report, OECD countries have different approaches and methods when it comes to covering the cost of a university education. While public institutions in many countries charge hefty tuition fees, around a third of OECD countries do not charge any fee at bachelor or equivalent level. The OECD's latest Education at a Glance report names the United States as having the highest average annual tuition fees of any country worldwide at $8,200 a year in public institutions at bachelor level. As expensive as that may seem, most students do benefit from financial support in the form of loans and scholarships while costs are nearly two and a half times as high in independent private institutions.
In addition to the United States, Australia, Canada, Chile, Japan and South Korea all have annual tuition fees higher than $4,000. Costs in Chile are particularly high at $7,654 a year while Japan is third-highest at $5,229. Southern European countries have far lower tuition fees by comparison with public institutions in Spain charging $1,830 a year at bachelor level. Italy is slightly cheaper at $1,658 and Portugal comes last on the following infographic with $1,124.

And I thought post-secondary was expensive in Canada!
8k seems low. I'm surprised. I would have thought atleast 20

Nemo?

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Dec 2, 2015
Per year of full time courses.

Not for a full degree.

$8,000 per year
4 years of study in a BA degree
=
$36, 000 for your average BA before the cost of books, so add on another $6-8k in total.

$42,000
If you need money to buy knowledge ...is knowledge still the #1 power?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
maybe the fact that degrees are subsidized with tax dollars is the primary reason costs are so high...

M

member 3289

I'm on the 20-year plan.

After 20 years, student loan debts are forgiven, so I'm going to bullshit my way out of not paying them for another 13 years.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
maybe the fact that degrees are subsidized with tax dollars is the primary reason costs are so high...
Just why everything goes up in price (healthcare). We just make a new bubble after we broke the last one (housing).

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015

Not for a full degree.

$8,000 per year
=
$36, 000 for your average BA before the cost of books, so add on another $6-8k in total.

$42,000
I wish.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
My parents paid for my first 2 years of college. I paid for the next 3 years of University via student loans.

Graduated about $25k in debt. Just paid it off last year, a decade later. Federal govt of Canada (who dispenses student loans up this way) sent me a letter on congratulations once I completed paying off the debt.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017

Not for a full degree.

$8,000 per year
=

$42,000
i was referrimng to yearly. im shocked that number isnt over 20, and thats for instate schools. out of states i would have thought the avarage is 30 per year

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Yeh. At least. There are schools like 60k a year if I'm not mistaken

College tuition is royally fucked. Peoplease graduated and spend decades paying off their loans. It's sad
That's wild but I guess with the 'Ivy League' schools, it makes sense.

The infograph is the average by country so would include the average of tuition from community colleges to universities, I assume.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
Here's an example. First college I looked up. 50k a year for out of state students

I'd be shocked if the stat includes private colleges. But the number seemed low even for public colleges. I graduated in 2005 tho, so admittedly I'm out of touch with that topic

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Here's an example. First college I looked up. 50k a year for out of state students

I'd be shocked if the state includes private colleges. But the number seemed low even for public colleges. I graduated in 2005 tho, so admittedly I'm out of touch with that topic
In state and out of state, I didnt get it before but I understand now. In Canada, we have a lot of foreign students and they pay like 3x as much as a Canadian student. Our education based taxes must be on the Federal level while Americas is on the state level.