Society The U.S. should FULLY ADOPT the metric system

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 3289

Needed to buy some plastic tubing with an inner diameter of 3 mm. So I search Amazon and nothing comes up. Literally nothing.

And even though the box for the product I was connecting the tubing to (a misting system used for plants) said 3 mm, I thought let me convert this to inches and see. Sure enough, it worked.

I mean just look at this dumb shit:

Screenshot_20210503-102635_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Not only is 1/8" written as a fraction and a number (0.118), a lot of space is wasted on something that could be written as "3 mm (3 mm inner X 4.75 mm outer diameter)".

Edit - I'm aware they messed up and 1/8" is not 3 mm.

The solution is to replace imperial measurement teaching in education with the metric system. Then in a few decades we'll all be metrically inclined.

I was hoping covid would kill off all the retards who think our dumb measurement system is somehow better but it doesn't look like that finna happen.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I agree

I use it daily

U setting up some drip line it looks like...lotta sweet lil misters and sprayers can attach to that 1/8th supply line FYI

Last edited:

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Fuck that.
We should bomb the world until they all agree to accept our American Standard.

M

member 1013

This was going to be my comment too, but I agree about the metric system.

I have no idea how a base-12 system was adopted but knowing Americans, they just wanted to:
  • be different
  • have 2 more in their base than metric
I bet you don’t even know what im
Laughing at, you measurement n00b!!

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
Needed to buy some plastic tubing with an inner diameter of 3 mm. So I search Amazon and nothing comes up. Literally nothing.

And even though the box for the product I was connecting the tubing to (a misting system used for plants) said 3 mm, I thought let me convert this to inches and see. Sure enough, it worked.

I mean just look at this dumb shit:

View attachment 35162

Not only is 1/8" written as a fraction and a number (0.118), a lot of space is wasted on something that could be written as "3 mm (3 mm inner X 4.75 mm outer diameter)".

The solution is to replace imperial measurement teaching in education with the metric system. Then in a few decades we'll all be metrically inclined.

I was hoping covid would kill off all the retards who think our dumb measurement system is somehow better but it doesn't look like that finna happen.

Thoughts?
just a heads up so that you dont buy the wrong thing, 0.118" is a 3mm probably (cause 1/8 inch would be 0.125")

M

member 1013

just a heads up so that you dont buy the wrong thing, 0.118" is a 3mm probably (cause 1/8 inch would be 0.125")
I already beat u slow poke

guys if you ever have to go by tenths of an inch, the top of a framing square is often divided that way

you

welcome

M

member 3289

I have no idea how a base-12 system was adopted but knowing Americans, they just wanted to:
  • be different
I believe it may have had something to do with the shipping industry, but it definitely has a lot to do with the fact that most Americans are fucking retarded.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016

• be different
I already have all the 16th inch increments to mm conversions memorized anyway.

M

member 3289

I agree

I use it daily

U setting up some drip line it looks like...lotta sweet lil misters and sprayers can attach to that 1/8th supply line FYI
Drip line and mister, yeah. I have a splitter on the base and one 4 mm hose attached to the sprayer, but it keeps leaking/slipping off.