The UFC is not like the WWE - it's like Juggalo backyard wrestling

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
So the Colby Covington controversy reminded me that while there are a lot of limp-wristed cocksuckers like myself that used to (and others who still do) watch fake wrestling and can recognize cringe-worthy promos, there are many others who haven't watched it and seem impressed by contrived and poorly executed promos that wouldn't impress 20 drunk hillbillies watching wrestling in a backyard. When people use the line that 'UFC is just WWE now' ,they do it to insult the UFC, but often in a context that is actually insulting to the WWE, despite WWE also being insultingly bad.

Covington's doubling down, non-apology was legitimately good heel work. But that's his first hit and it wasn't a promo - his actual promos are poorly executed and are just what is called 'cheap heat'. Cheap heat is defined as insulting your current location, its fans or the local sports team and is low hanging fruit - it's something you would see every week in a high school gym if you were a hillbilly wrestling fan.

You also see the opposite 'cheap pop' all the time in post-fight MMA interviews, where some mongoloid fighter literally grabs the mic, yells 'ey yo HOUSTON, wat's Up!' and doesn't follow it up with anything. At least in professional wrestling circles they can usually do this without sounding like they've had a lobotomy.

I wanted to point out that the UFC isn't just annoying because it is like WWE, but because it is like a pathetic version of WWE with awful promos from guys who can barely talk. Let's stop giving the UFC undue credit.