The ultimate fighter.ortega vs Volkswagen

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Anyone been watching? I have. Its not the best season and has kinda made me dislike Brian a bit.

Anyways I figured I'd mention it in case someone is bored on a Sunday

Atto

Chinese Virus
Feb 11, 2016
Anyone been watching? I have. Its not the best season and has kinda made me dislike Brian a bit.

Anyways I figured I'd mention it in case someone is bored on a Sunday
The best season was with Kimbo Slice. ultimate fighter doesn't interest me anymore, but if there is one with heavy weights I'll surely watch.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
i watched the most recent episode...Volk seems like a right cunt some times.
I think he's just trying to get in a headspace where he hates Ortega.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
My boy Gil Urbina going to win the 85 title. He's actually as 170 that's 7-1 with his only loss being a competitive Decision to current #10 UFC RANKED WELTER, 14-0 Savage Sean Brady... He's 6'4 and getting better every time he fights.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
My boy Gil Urbina going to win the 85 title. He's actually as 170 that's 7-1 with his only loss being a competitive Decision to current #10 UFC RANKED WELTER, 14-0 Savage Sean Brady... He's 6'4 and getting better every time he fights.
He looked good in his fight

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
He looked good in his fight
I still can't believe that coach was yelling "elbow the shin".. Worst coaching advice I've ever heard.. Never mind the killer on your back trying to choke you, abandon defending the choke and do the dumbest shit ever encouraged by a coach.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I still can't believe that coach was yelling "elbow the shin".. Worst coaching advice I've ever heard.. Never mind the killer on your back trying to choke you, abandon defending the choke and do the dumbest shit ever encouraged by a coach.
Yes it was a strange tactic to say the least.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
who said that?

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
The instructions being shouted from their corner has been atrocious the entire season.

Rener is great at jiu jitsu. He’s an absolute garbage corner man.

Paul Herrera might be retarded.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
The instructions being shouted from their corner has been atrocious the entire season.

Rener is great at jiu jitsu. He’s an absolute garbage corner man.

Paul Herrera might be retarded.
FWIW - Rener is probably the best jiu-jitsu instructor of his generation. No hyperbole.

but teaching and cornering are not the same. Rener corners Brian, but that's more because of how far back they go.
does Paul corner fighters outside the show, or is he a coach?

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
I don’t think i ever missed a season when it was available on my DirectTV package, but I’ve never went out of my way to find them when they are not. I really would like to see this one, but not bad enough to watch it on my phone. I wish it was on regular ESPN.

I also couldn’t tell you the last PPV i watched live. Nowadays, i only watch the free fights. I guess it’s time admit that I’m a casual fan, at best.

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
FWIW - Rener is probably the best jiu-jitsu instructor of his generation. No hyperbole.

but teaching and cornering are not the same. Rener corners Brian, but that's more because of how far back they go.
Im not sure if he corners anyone else. He’s not normally in Brian’s corner, right?

Poiupoiu

50 cents per post
Oct 26, 2015
i wanted to root for ricky, but his dialog and cadence just sounds like a huckster

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015

Rener is one of the best public talkers and calm explainers of BJJ, but if he was the best jiu jitsu instructor, he'd have several students winning championships at the highest levels, which he doesn't. If you came up listening to his dad, he's essentially a carbon copy with slightly better diction. Both are great teachers of some aspects of the game, but better promoters than anything.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Rener is one of the best public talkers and calm explainers of BJJ, but if he was the best jiu jitsu instructor, he'd have several students winning championships at the highest levels, which he doesn't. If you came up listening to his dad, he's essentially a carbon copy with slightly better diction. Both are great teachers of some aspects of the game, but better promoters than anything.
politely disagree. Rener doesn't have World Champion students because they're not part of his business model. He doesn't rely on his wall of medals and his "Death Squad" tearing up the competitive circuit to bring students in and sell DVDs...he just doesn't need (or want) those students.

But I've traveled and been to enough seminars to state confidently that no one is better than Rener, especially when you're talking about classes/seminars with hundreds of people.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
politely disagree. Rener doesn't have World Champion students because they're not part of his business model. He doesn't rely on his wall of medals and his "Death Squad" tearing up the competitive circuit to bring students in and sell DVDs...he just doesn't need (or want) those students.

But I've traveled and been to enough seminars to state confidently that no one is better than Rener, especially when you're talking about classes/seminars with hundreds of people.
I think what sets Rener and Ryron apart is that they've actually bothered to invest time in the idea of pedagogy and public speaking whereas most BJJ instructors are just people who enjoyed the sport and got a teaching gig or had capital to open an academy. As the inheritors of the trademarked Gracie academy, Rener and Ryron were offering what was perceived to outsiders as a "premium" product so they had to put a bit more shine on it. This followed the same model Rorion used in building the Torrance Academy in the first place and spinning it off into several associated ventures.

So they're good at their niche, but these days BJJ is largely a competitive sport as much as it's a self defense system and kids recreational activity, if not more so. To be the best instructor, you have to have success in all dimensions. Seminars are not the norm of instruction. For the main Gracie academy, seminars have been their default business model, so they've had to call back to their great grandfather's carny roots to promote their type of instruction. It's not a bad thing, but it can't be said to be the best, particularly when there are plenty of unheralded instructors out there whose names few people know who have quality self defense curricula, quality kids programs and strong competition success. Rener inherited an empire and smartly professionalized it because he had a wealthy clientele. My hope is his innovations in presenting techniques will be replicated, but it takes more than a good presentation style to be the best instructor.