The Wheel of Time (November 2021)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Hmmmmmm. First impression is I didn't like it as a finale.

For non - book readers it will be confusing and feel like cliffhangers galore. Maybe it was the darkness but even I wasn't sure that the trolloc army was all gone for example, and they didn't just lie there defenseless waiting to be ran over. Rand vs (Spoiler) leaves questionmarks as well. And again Perrin in this show is being trashed as a char so far. Also seems to be the worst actor of the bunch.

Not sure if that season final makes a lot of people be happy to wait like a year or two for an encore.
For a mid-season final it would have been okay. For a season final it didn't seem right.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
im making a video if you are bored. will finish it in 5 hours unless i pass out then tomorrow. i think itll help if you care enough to here my corny ass explain it lol
hmnnnn(I am Hmnnnnnning in Q @Qat 's voice tho)
do you do videos for every ep or season or what?
I have been eyeing these shows and just came across this thread.
considering starting a new series...

M

member 3289

For non - book readers it will be confusing and feel like cliffhangers galore.
Yep. A few of my thoughts as to how confusing it was (copy-pasted from a convo with Lars):

Does Perrin become the new ruler of that kingdom? Why didn't he stop Padan Fain?

Egwene can bring people back to life?

Where the fuck did Rand go at the end?

Can Moiraine get her power back?

They said the dark one was in a cage. I'm guessing that fucking pit was his cage?

What the fuck was that ending scene and what the fuck did it have to do with anything? Oh they apparently killed a young girl with a tidal wave I guess? Cool?

There were literally 5 people in the whole fucking city who could channel?

Why does the Chinese ruler's sister let the power corrupt her?

I love how Rand becomes Moiraine at the end. Stares at you when you ask him questions and doesn't answer. Just smiles and keeps walking.

It opened up so many new directions that it confused the fuck out of anyone unfamiliar with the story.

Way more questions than answers now.

Great finale.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Yep. A few of my thoughts as to how confusing it was (copy-pasted from a convo with Lars):

Does Perrin become the new ruler of that kingdom? Why didn't he stop Padan Fain?

They said the dark one was in a cage. I'm guessing that fucking pit was his cage?

What the fuck was that ending scene and what the fuck did it have to do with anything? Oh they apparently killed a young girl with a tidal wave I guess? Cool?

I love how Rand becomes Moiraine at the end. Stares at you when you ask him questions and doesn't answer. Just smiles and keeps walking.

It opened up so many new directions that it confused the fuck out of anyone unfamiliar with the story.

Great finale.
What did @Lars (ADMlN) answer?

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
The ending scene was to open up a new villain.
Not a villain, rather a conquering army with their own prophecies and goals. They have interesting customs like holding channelers as slaves (see the things in their mouths?) - completely different from what we know so far.

I feel this combined with Moraine's remark that it was just the first battle would be a good way to tease that the journey is far from over.
Would have been fine if the rest had been fine.
Why it seems like they wanna kill a little girl on an otherwise empty beach, I dunno.

But most of the shit isn't in the book apparently.
True. They are taking many liberties, but thats okay. Still they botched this episode imo.

Positives: I liked how Rand is like "we don't even have a plan, wtf are we doing". That is quite true, logically it would seem foolhardy to lead a zero-trained dragon to a supposed fate-defining battle with the dark one. Good they bring it up.

And Padan explains a little. It's cheap exposition, but very much needed exposition.
Perrin just being frozen and confused is blah tho. This was his time to shine. They could at least have him kill a fade while Padan runs away or something. There we are again on the negatives. Loial dying like that was shit too.

The visuals were good, the lead-up to the fight was good.
But it feels like the first ep of season two will have to be used for explanations. Such much dumb.

M

member 1013

Not a villain, rather a conquering army with their own prophecies and goals. They have interesting customs like holding channelers as slaves (see the things in their mouths?) - completely different from what we know so far.

I feel this combined with Moraine's remark that it was just the first battle would be a good way to tease that the journey is far from over.
Why it seems like they wanna kill a little girl on an otherwise empty beach, I dunno.

True. They are taking many liberties, but thats okay. Still they botched this episode imo.

Positives: I liked how Rand is like "we don't even have a plan, wtf are we doing". That is quite true, logically it would seem foolhardy to lead a zero-trained dragon to a supposed fate-defining battle with the dark one. Good they bring it up.

And Padan explains a little. It's cheap exposition, but very much needed exposition.
Perrin just being frozen and confused is blah tho. This was his time to shine. They could at least have him kill a fade while Padan runs away or something. There we are again on the negatives. Loial dying like that was shit too.

But it feels like the first ep of season two will have to be used for explanations. Such much dumb.
They’re the secondary antagonist for the majority of the books so Fite me. And you spoilt so much for poor nut hugger!

M

member 1013

Why would they even put loial in the show to do him dirty like dat

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017

Perrin didnt join the fight because he has PTSD from killing his wife and was taught the Way of the Leaf. But he is struggling with that idea, which fits into the theme Padan Fain mentioned: balance

In terms of stopping Padan Fain, Padan was with two Fades. There is very little chance that an untrained kid could beat one Fade, let alone two. So he didn't really have a choice but to let them go.

Good question. But no. Nynaeve is one of the Strongest female channelers in thousands of years. She doesn't know how to use her power yet, but she's able to withstand way more than most people. So the amount killed the two nameless women and then Amalisa. And it almost killed Egwene, but Nynaeve healed Egwene while dying herself. Nearly died. and Egwene returned the favor

Rand didn't tell Moiraine where he went. How the fuck should I know? Actually, I think I know. But I'm not spoiling that. The main question is why did he leave?

Rand is the Dragon Reborn. The prior Dragon (the dude in the cold open), went crazy as all men who channel the One Power do. And the prior Dragon killed his family. Then he blew up and created the mountain called Dragonmount that Rand was born on. So Rand is basically scared that he is going to go mad and kill those around him. That's why he bounced.

Unfortunately, they do not know how to heal men from gentling or women from stilling. But there are plenty of people in this story without power that do major things. And Moiraine is one of them.

Cage. Prison. It's not a physical thing per se. As the story goes on, you'll see that it's a multiverse. There are parallel universes so to say. there are dream worlds where what happens to you there happens to you in the real world. And the prison is sort of like that. You're not in this world. There are Seven Seals of cuendillar sealing away the Dark One and the Foresaken. The guy Rand and you are calling the Dark One is not the Dark One. He is one of the Foresaken. And since the seals have begun to break, he was able to partially escape his prison and get into their dreams. He was trying to lure Rand there and use Rand's power to break completely free, but instead, Rand shot him in the face with fire lol

The story takes place on a land mass. But there is another huge land mass across the Western Ocean that is home to people called the Seanchan. They are badass. The Blue Sitter (one of the top three blue ajah) that chatted with Moiraine in the hottub briefly mentioned ships arriving on the western shore. That final scene was an example of it. The Seanchan have arrived

Basically, its a huge world, and book 1 and season 1 dont even scratch the surface of the cultures, kingdoms, species, magic, etc that is going to come into play. Think of Seanchan like Slavers Bay in game of thrones. not that they are similar. just that its off on an entire differently continent. Oh and it is similar in a way. The two women who yelled something are controlling the two women in front with those mouth things. Because the channelers in the Seanchan arent the badass leader Aes Sedai ... they are slaves

Three. They were lucky that Nynaeve and Egwene happened to be there. Amalisa had been telling her brother to bring Aes Sedai there, but he is a macho man who has devoted his life towards fighting Trollocs and Fades and defending Tarmin's Gap. so he's basically shunned the Aes Sedai against his sisters wishes. And it came back to bite him in the ass

The One Power isnt like Gandalf who just does magic at will. It's like a river of energy that women succumb to and then direct. the opening scene of egwene in the river was a metaphor for the One Power. you have to relax and then guide it

for men (due to the taint) its more like a storm that you can barely control.

But for both of them, it's like a drug. When you take it in, you don't want to let it go. And you want to take in more and more.

Amalisa is a woman who has the gift, but she is very weak. So she never even tested to become Aes Sedai because she would have failed (possibly even died) doing the test. They will get into the test in Season 2 with a bunch of characters

So Amalisa only ever felt a trickle of the one power. Feeling the amount from Egwene and Nynaeve was overwhelming. And she lost control

LOL great point

Great finale.

sarcastic or did you enjoy it?

the book ending is weak. its three different foresaken. its hard to tell what happens to one of them. two of them appear for the first time in that chapter alone. most of the Tarmin's Gap battle happens offscreen and then Rand comes in and just destroys them all. it was a weak book ending. but the world building was cool enough to get me into book 2

and as the books keep going, the author gets much better at developing the characters

the show should get better and better and the ending is going to be awesome, with a lot of huge subplots and climaxes along the way
answers in your quotation thingy

Last edited:
M

member 1013

book ending was lame imo. i have read book 1 now around 10 times, and ive never once liked the metaphysical ending
He was forced by TOR to change the ending so that if the other books didn’t he finished it would be a fairly stand alone story, pretty standard for the early 90s late 80s.

i don’t think he was as good at writing the channeling and magic system yet either.

i understand there have to be changes for TV especially for “flow” and to make things concise but I didn’t overly enjoy the finale. I hope u forgive me.

also you’re spoiling da book(s) for nut hugger Okurr?!

Last edited by a moderator:

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
He was forced by TOR to change the ending so that if the other books didn’t he finished it would be a fairly stand alone story, pretty standard for the early 90s late 80s.

i don’t think he was as good at writing the channeling and magic system yet either.

i understand their have to be changed for TV especially for “flow” and to make things concise but I didn’t overly enjoy the finale. I hope u forgive me.

also you’re spoiling da book(s) for nut hugger Okurr?!
he asked questions tho. i answered that in the middle of the night running on fumes as i was working on a video from 7pm last until 9am this morning

my bad

M

member 1013

The show is irreversibly damaged and should be cancelled immediately