Thiago Santos tore ACL, MCL, PCL, meniscus in loss to Jones

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Thiago Santos fought most of his light heavyweight title bout with Jon Jones on essentially one leg.

Santos tore the ACL, MCL, PCL and meniscus of his left knee in the UFC 239 main event Saturday night in Las Vegas, his manager Alex Davis confirmed with ESPN. Tests came back with that information Monday, Davis said.

Brazilian outlet Combate was the first to report the news. Davis said that Santos is likely to be out for the rest of 2019 and beyond.

Santos fought with torn ACL, MCL, PCL, meniscus

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I bet he was gradually tearing shit up as he fought thru the initial injury

Tough tough dude

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
Unlike Gus or DC, I think Santos can beat Jones in a rematch.

Jones might need a new strategy on closing distance and mixing combo transition to TD, but will be interesting to see because you stay too close to Santos too long you get KTFO and JOnes knows this.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Jones would have to be blind to not see his knee was fucked. Why he didn't try to finish a one legged man is beyond me.

M

member 3289

If Santos hadn't torn those ligaments he would've been wild, going for crazy strikes, and gotten counter-punch KO'd.

The knee/leg injury is the only reason Marreta made it to the judges' scorecards.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
If Santos hadn't torn those ligaments he would've been wild, going for crazy strikes, and gotten counter-punch KO'd.

The knee/leg injury is the only reason Marreta made it to the judges' scorecards.
Exactly, everyone knows fighters are better with one leg. One legged fighters have such an advantage that the UFC is trying to hold back the amputees because they know they will take over.

Hwoarang

TMMAC Addict
Oct 22, 2015
Jones would have to be blind to not see his knee was fucked. Why he didn't try to finish a one legged man is beyond me.
Yeh, he's lying. not only would he have to be a retarded blind man to not realise the man limping in front of you and his leg constantly giving out had an injury. But they were playing slow mo replays of his knee buckling during each round for pretty much the entire minute breaks. Him and his corner most definitely saw that shit.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
man that is like something that happens to someone who gets hit by a car. only thing he didn't tear was his LCL

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Yeh, he's lying. not only would he have to be a retarded blind man to not realise the man limping in front of you and his leg constantly giving out had an injury. But they were playing slow mo replays of his knee buckling during each round for pretty much the entire minute breaks. Him and his corner most definitely saw that shit.
For sure they saw it, and then didn't alter their gameplan around it, or even bother mentioning it in between rounds while coaching Jones. That's for sure what happened.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
For sure they saw it, and then didn't alter their gameplan around it, or even bother mentioning it in between rounds while coaching Jones. That's for sure what happened.
Jon was hurt and getting hurt when he tried to think about "finishing" Santos

Santos is much more injured on paper

But Jon looked to be in real pain and doubting his ability to "finish" anyone that night...He closed distance a few times and got whacked in his legs and reconsidered

Post fight Santos was stone faced...and Jon was cringing and in real pain in his interviews

Not speaking about scoring, just damage and mentality of the guys in this single fight.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Jon was hurt and getting hurt when he tried to think about "finishing" Santos

Santos is much more injured on paper

But Jon looked to be in real pain and doubting his ability to "finish" anyone that night...He closed distance a few times and got whacked in his legs and reconsidered

Post fight Santos was stone faced...and Jon was cringing and in real pain in his interviews

Not speaking about scoring, just damage and mentality of the guys in this single fight.
I was being facetious in my post.

If Jones had any idea how hurt Santos was he wouldn't have fought the way he did and certainly wouldn't have played up the extent of his injury the way he did. He was trying to get some fans, and probably feels pretty stupid after finding out that the other guy had a missing knee and managed to hobble back rather than be carried.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I was being facetious in my post.

If Jones had any idea how hurt Santos was he wouldn't have fought the way he did and certainly wouldn't have played up the extent of his injury the way he did. He was trying to get some fans, and probably feels pretty stupid after finding out that the other guy had a missing knee and managed to hobble back rather than be carried.
Ahh I see

I can't tell who is joking about what Jon did and didn't realize...only he knows

He didn't seem to see the knee buckling to me...and if he did see it, he was hurt enough himself to be willing to ride it out to the judges

Did santos have any ligaments even left in that knee lol?

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Unlike Gus or DC, I think Santos can beat Jones in a rematch.

Jones might need a new strategy on closing distance and mixing combo transition to TD, but will be interesting to see because you stay too close to Santos too long you get KTFO and JOnes knows this.
everyone else has been mentally beat by jones.he pretty much takes their soul. santos didnt break. he probably has a better chance at a rematch than anyone else.it looks like it will be a while down the road anyways. all that knee surgery is going to take a while to heal

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
everyone else has been mentally beat by jones.he pretty much takes their soul. santos didnt break. he probably has a better chance at a rematch than anyone else.it looks like it will be a while down the road anyways. all that knee surgery is going to take a while to heal
Hope that knee heals up well...Some guys are never the same

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
A philosopher attending the fight said he tore his MPPL (metaphysical collateral ligament) as well. That's how horrific this injury was.

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
A philosopher attending the fight said he tore his MPPL (metaphysical collateral ligament) as well. That's how horrific this injury was.
Well I hope that philosopher paid close attention to what Aristotle had to say about knee injuries.

M

member 3289

Exactly, everyone knows fighters are better with one leg. One legged fighters have such an advantage that the UFC is trying to hold back the amputees because they know they will take over.
Thiago's bum knee is the only thing that saved him from becoming a highlight reel

M

member 1013

That guy is crazy tough. I’m impressed he was even walking. I’m intimidated by his extreme toughness

jimmy boogaloo

General Links/Your Account
Nov 15, 2017
Ali got his jaw broken early and continued to a decision vs Ken Norton. adrenaline, whatever, imagine how painful it would be to box at hw with a broken jaw. he showed the way.

Mario Sperry took it further when he blew his knee out and got concussed in the first series of vicious exchanges vs Ninja Rua, then continued to the end.

now Santos fights Jon fucking Jones for 4 rounds on a destroyed knee, gradually wearing it down to dust. that's insane.

*basically, if you wanna fight competatively, it's best to be mentally prepared for something absolutely fucking awful, that you have to fight through, when it seems unfathomably grotesque to do so.