General Things you just bought.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Yeah inflatable doesn't mean cheap tho.
We have 3 inflatable ones now, it's just more practical and the stiffness of the better models can really hang with hardboard boards.
I love em all

I have a couple 13+ foot kayaks transport isn't an issue...I do love the convenience and versatility of any inflatables

Inflatables will only get better and better IMO

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
Big shopping day, by my standards. Bought a meat thermometer for my new smoker:

20210627_194957.jpg

And two 4-panel expansions for my most needless gimmick light. Which now makes it huge, which I am pleased about. Coffee cup included for scale. Gonna be a massive pain in the ass to mount it on the wall, not looking forward to that.

20210627_194731.jpg

20210627_194623.jpg

The pattern is a completely different design from what it was before I added the extra eight panels, and I connected them with no systematic progression in mind. But it still instantly figured out which was the centre panel and how to expand colours out from it, and how to fade light patterns smoothly and coherently across the entire thing from left to right, etc. Smart light indeed.

??

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

View attachment 39902

And two 4-panel expansions for my most needless gimmick light. Which now makes it huge, which I am pleased about. Coffee cup included for scale. Gonna be a massive pain in the ass to mount it on the wall, not looking forward to that.

View attachment 39903

View attachment 39904

The pattern is a completely different design from what it was before I added the extra eight panels, and I connected them with no systematic progression in mind. But it still instantly figured out which was the centre panel and how to expand colours out from it, and how to fade light patterns smoothly and coherently across the entire thing from left to right, etc. Smart light indeed.

??
The meat thermometer is going to help you a lot. Does it have 2 probes?

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Nah, but the smoker has a temperature needle.

Meat thermometer came with batteries included!

??
You should really look into getting another for grate temperature. I'd some cases the regular thermometer that comes on a smoker is 50-100 degrees off or more.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
You should really look into getting another for grate temperature. I'd some cases the regular thermometer that comes on a smoker is 50-100 degrees off or more.
Yeah I thought about that, but that version was more than twice as expensive and I've still got more stuff to buy for it, heatproof gloves being next. I've already spent more on accessories than I did on the smoker itself. If I get into it over the next year or so, I'll upgrade/expand on my accessories. ?

??

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Yeah I thought about that, but that version was more than twice as expensive and I've still got more stuff to buy for it, heatproof gloves being next. I've already spent more on accessories than I did on the smoker itself. If I get into it over the next year or so, I'll upgrade/expand on my accessories. ?

??
In that case. Do something like pork ribs, which is one of the few things you smoke by time instead of temp, and use your probe to see the grate temp, elevate it half and inch to an inch above the grate. Then you can figure out the rough temp difference between grate and dome temp.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015

View attachment 39902

View attachment 39903

View attachment 39904

??
What kind of smoker are you running?

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
7’8” fly rod and reel for my son. Just an entry level one until I know he’s really into fishing.

JBL Bluetooth speaker for poolside and camping.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Just got home. I got myself some Amazon presents.

3 pairs of snips.

A terminal insulated screwdriver.

A mini socket set.

Some insulated Allen keys

A 4mm T handle Allen key.

A notorious BIG t shirt. (I think. I haven't opened that one)

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
1000CC bag of saline and a bunch of needles

For administering sub cutaneous fluids for one of our cats...just gonna get her to next week and have her put down

She got the Cancer, just learned that late friday...16 years old...Weighs 6.7 pounds, used to weigh 12

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
1000CC bag of saline and a bunch of needles

For administering sub cutaneous fluids for one of our cats...just gonna get her to next week and have her put down

She got the Cancer, just learned that late friday...16 years old...Weighs 6.7 pounds, used to weigh 12
We did that for a dog, twice a day, for about a month until the little lady got back from Italy and was able to say goodbye.

Looking back, it’s not something I would do again. When it’s time, it’s time.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
We did that for a dog, twice a day, for about a month until the little lady got back from Italy and was able to say goodbye.

Looking back, it’s not something I would do again. When it’s time, it’s time.
Ya
It's all good...great times were had while all our pets(your dog, my cat, etc...) all were alive and thriving

The fluids seem to help but only for a lil while

Didn't mean to make a downer post, the giving them fluids thing is just new/interesting to me

As you say...

when it's time, it's time

Last edited:

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Ya
It's all good...great times were had while our pets were alive and thriving

The fluids seem to help but only for a lil while

Didn't mean to make a downer post, the giving them fluids thing is just new/interesting to me

As you say...

when it's time, it's time
Yeah it’s crazy to see all that fluid sit there until it’s all absorbed by the body.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Yeah it’s crazy to see all that fluid sit there until it’s all absorbed by the body.
I was gonna lay off the details but you brought that up

The vets did a huge dose when we took her in the first time last week(we have taken her in a ton of times the last 8 months as she lost weight).

They did this big dose of fluids, and then later that night her front left leg swelled up to 5 times normal...elephantitis looking, paw was huge also...all the fluid ended up down in one leg.
Was 90% gone/absorbed by morning.

The dose we just gave her an hour ago 130ish CCs is all in a front pooch on her chest.

I guess it can slip and move all different places on old cats...we administer it between the shoulder blades...big fucking needle also.

I guess it stays in place on some animals and/or absorbs quickly, this old cat doesn't absorb anything quickly anymore so she packs around a fluid pouch wherever it settles...Certainly crazy to observe

Last edited:

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
What kind of smoker are you running?
Just a bottom-level el cheapo impulse buy from the NZ version of eBay. Charcoal bullet.

1523122824.jpg

It cost nothing, so it'll be a good starter. I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's how you start. Was going to season it today, but it's winter and it's hailing. Freezing outside, so I can't be bothered.

One thing that is going to shit me is that it doesn't have any vents at the base to properly control the airflow over the coals. The $400 models do. But, that's something to think about later. After I pay for a fucking wedding. :smile:

??

Last edited: