General Thinking about getting a new (used) car

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
If I drive 24k miles per year. At average 25 mpg in the V6, that’s 960 gallons a year. Average 19 mpg in the V8 that’s 1265 gallons a year. At say $2 per gallon, that’s $610 a year ($50 per month) difference.
But it's not a 2 dollar price difference..... So that makes it even cheaper..... Do it. Do the 5 liter.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
One reason I’m also looking at the Acura RLX and Lexus E350. Both of those are 31 mpg highway.
Now you’re talking. For as much as you drive, that would add up to some fuel savings. My wife has a 2018 accord and with regards to fuel, it’s a cheap car to drive.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
The correct answer is a Chrysler 300. You can get the hemi and all wheel drive. Great car for the price. Plenty of room and plenty of power.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I bet he could get the Lexus for cheaper than a similar Camry. It's why we went with a GX for my wife instead of a 4runner.
4runners and Tacoma's are very specific in holding resale.

But agree, I have not looked up prices on these models in years. But I would cross shop the Camry for the purposes of this conversation. I would be impressed if a Camry is holding its resale value higher than that serious Lexus.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
4runners and Tacoma's are very specific in holding resale.

But agree, I have not looked up prices on these models in years. But I would cross shop the Camry for the purposes of this conversation. I would be impressed if a Camry is holding its resale value higher than that serious Lexus.
In my experience you get more for your money with the used Lexus. Either way you get a solid car though, nothing wrong with either one.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
In my experience you get more for your money with the used Lexus. Either way you get a solid car though, nothing wrong with either one.

How high are maintenance and repairs on a Lexus? I’ve always stayed away from some cars because i envision the shops raping me for every little thing.

I know someone with an Audi and it’s a huge piece of shit. Every time she takes it in for an oil change they tell her something else need fixed and everything is over priced.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
How high are maintenance and repairs on a Lexus? I’ve always stayed away from some cars because i envision the shops raping me for every little thing.

I know someone with an Audi and it’s a huge piece of shit. Every time she takes it in for an oil change they tell her something else need fixed and everything is over priced.
Same as a Toyota in my experience with my Toyota and my wife's Lexus.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
My wife's been driving a 2015 Chevy Traverse since we bought it in 2016, and she wanted a smaller SUV. She recently got a 2017 Lincoln MKX. I was driving a 2017 Honda Accord Sport that I gave to our youngest daughter when she turned 16, so I took the Traverse. It's nice but it has a 100k miles and I worry about the transmission shitting the bed at some point. I would like to get into an entry level luxury sedan because I'm old and fat, and that's what old fat guys drive. My budget is $22,500 because I'm going to be in it for $26k by the time I lose a couple grand on the trade-in, and pay taxes & fees. Here's what I'm looking at...

2016 or 2017 Genesis G80

View attachment 21765

2017 Kia Cadenza Limited

View attachment 21762

2016 or 2017 Lexus E350 Premium

View attachment 21763

2016 or 2017 Acura RLX Advance

View attachment 21764

They're all going to have around 45k miles and similar options that I'm looking for: blind spot monitor, automatic emergency braking, lane keep assist, heated and ventilated front seats, leather, sunroof.

Which one would you choose and why?
that acura will probably last a long ass time. I personally dont like driving them though or civics boring cars to drive but they last forever.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
that acura will probably last a long ass time. I personally dont like driving them though or civics boring cars to drive but they last forever.
Yeah I’m a Honda guy. My 2017 Accord has 100k miles on it from business driving. No problems with so far. Just regular maintenance and tires. Great for my daughter.

I like the RLX’s a lot. They just don’t really stand out aesthetically and I’ve read some have issues with battery drain due to the Bluetooth module constantly looking for a device. So if I did get one, I would disable that immediately.