IMG/GIF Thinking of a Toyota Tacoma PreRunner

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Any way to tell the difference in 2WD and 4x4 with these? The listing doesn't state 4x4 for any of them...

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Any way to tell the difference in 2WD and 4x4 with these? The listing doesn't state 4x4 for any of them...
The mudflaps say 4x4 on them. There's also a drive selector knob on the dash. In the event it's a Pre-Runner, it's 2wd, they all are. In closing, get the 4x4.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
For reference I have an 08, TRD Off Road and I love it. I've also never met a Tacoma owner who had one that had any real complaints.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Is there a reason to only look at the Tacoma?

I get that the reliability is there and the truck has a following.

But you're more savvy on prevention than most and the Chevy Colorado (z71) has consistently made a strong showing.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
So I'm thinking of trading in my 1995 Ford Ranger for a 2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner with 53k on it. V6, cloth seats, nothing special. My little Ranger has been through hell, but is coming to the point where it's time to upgrade. For instance, we go shooting at a range down the levee and I wasn't able to make it a couple weeks ago because ole Fred(it's name) is only 2WD. I figure I could trade it in for the $4k or whatever blue book is and enjoy a newer "work" truck. Toyota's reliability is also undeniable.

That place has solid deals on ebay. I almost purchased my last 2 cars from them, but the shipping made it less appealing. Texas Direct or something like that?

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015

But you're more savvy on prevention than most and the Chevy Colorado (z71) has consistently made a strong showing.
Edit.....just noticed you said Colorado. Does it still have that shitty in-line 5?

Live in the city now and have no real use for a full sized truck. If I was still hunting I would definitely get a nice used Z71. A smaller Tacoma would be perfect for levee rides, hauling the kayak trailer, and eventually my motorcycle.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
That place has solid deals on ebay. I almost purchased my last 2 cars from them, but the shipping made it less appealing. Texas Direct or something like that?
Yep. They have great deals on lots of stuff and I know several people that had good business with them. They are reasonably close to me, which is a plus.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Edit.....just noticed you said Colorado. Does it still have that shitty in-line 5?

Live in the city now and have no real use for a full sized truck. If I was still hunting I would definitely get a nice used Z71. A smaller Tacoma would be perfect for levee rides, hauling the kayak trailer, and eventually my motorcycle.

Colorado is the competition for the Tacoma, not the Tundra.

It's a midsized not a full sized

Depending on year, most equivalent configurations outdo the Tacoma in mileage, towing,cost.

Reliability in an unmaintained or abusedTacoma will be higher. Otherwise should be on par. Tacoma resale will be higher. May or may not matter to you

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Colorado is the competition for the Tacoma, not the Tundra.

It's a midsized not a full sized

Depending on year, most equivalent configurations outdo the Tacoma in mileage, towing,cost.

Reliability in an unmaintained or abusedTacoma will be higher. Otherwise should be on par. Tacoma resale will be higher. May or may not matter to you
Holy shit there's a Duramax version?!?!

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015

I believe he's looking used. If that's the case unless the resale is horrendous (very possible) it takes the 2 year old Colorado out of the mix.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
I believe he's looking used. If that's the case unless the resale is horrendous (very possible) it takes the 2 year old Colorado out of the mix.
This, it's meant to basically be an upgrade to my everyday truck....that Duramax Colorado is tempting though.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
This, it's meant to basically be an upgrade to my everyday truck....that Duramax Colorado is tempting though.
To each his own, but I personally have very little use for diesel, lol.

Last edited:

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
My ASE's are in Heavy/Med Duty Trucks, so I'm always partial to diesels :) I have zero use for a full sized diesel though.
I completely get it when we're talking about heavier equipment. In a person's commuter though, completely baffles me. One of the guys I work with thinks he really needs a 2500/3500 diesel.... for occasionally towing a trailer that weighs a couple thousand pounds....

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
I completely get it when we're talking about heavier equipment. In a person's commuter though, completely baffles me. One of the guys I work with thinks he really needs a 2500/3500 diesel.... for occasionally towing a trailer that weighs a couple thousand pounds....
I know "that guy". We have a guy at work that has a 2500 and it's never seen a trailer or dirt.