General This is a generational inquiry....

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
My son and all his friends are like this and love school. They are competitive with grades and outcomes. He's in AP and advanced courses so I only see "smart" kids as those are his friends and study group. I admit not seeing the other groups probably skews my view a bit. I'm a bit strict but at the same time he has a lifestyle I never had. Out to dinner with friends, Uber rides home. Starbucks daily after school. He likes money so much so that he wants a summer job. He wants a profession that will pay him well and he has the smarts to make that happen. He is also a PITA and talks back. He's a teen.
Great. That means mine is gonna be a PITA because he sounds like my son. He’s hardcore into math and science. He will read about anything that grabs his attention. I love watching him think. He is going to advanced classes next year, so I’m sure I’ll start to see what you see.
He’s going into 3rd, but I’m hoping he can go to Don Estridge for middle school because they have awesome tech there. I just want to make sure he gets the most out of the somewhat crap education system we have here.

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
Great. That means mine is gonna be a PITA because he sounds like my son. He’s hardcore into math and science. He will read about anything that grabs his attention. I love watching him think. He is going to advanced classes next year, so I’m sure I’ll start to see what you see.
He’s going into 3rd, but I’m hoping he can go to Don Estridge for middle school because they have awesome tech there. I just want to make sure he gets the most out of the somewhat crap education system we have here.
If your son continues to do well he will have opportunities. I am sure PBC has the same situation as Broward. Broward has magnet schools and sends out recruiting letters. He got them from every school and still does.

The number 1 HS in Broward is Pompano. It's in a shit area but it's magnet. You have to qualify and win a lottery. He got in for his freshman year. Straight A's but hated the area and school. The kids were from all over the county so not many from our area. Half the time the morning bus didn't show up so I would have to take him to school 6:30am. He was waking up at 4am as the bus came at 5 something. He begged me to let him switch to Stoneman as all his friends are there. The one cool thing about that school that no other school did, 4 days per week. They were 4 long days but no school on Friday.

I was very reluctant but my GF talked me into it. It turns out Stoneman has all the same classes and more. There is only one class they don't offer. It turned out they were both right and I was wrong. All his study groups are close and Stoneman is the number 2 non magnet school in the county. I also don't have to get up and drive him across the county to the ghetto.

My friend lives in West Boca and his kid got into a charter school that Pitbull of all people is an investor in. You will have plenty of options if he continues on the right path.

SLAM! Boca Raton

Last edited:

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
If your son continues to do well he will have opportunities. I am sure PBC has the same situation as Broward. Broward has magnet schools and sends out recruiting letters. He got them from every school and still does.

The number 1 HS in Broward is Pompano. It's in a shit area but it's magnet. You have to qualify and win a lottery. He got in for his freshman year. Straight A's but hated the area and school. The kids were from all over the county so not many from our area. Half the time the morning bus didn't show up so I would have to take him to school 6:30am. He was waking up at 4am as the bus came at 5 something. He begged me to let him switch to Stoneman as all his friends are there. The one cool thing about that school that no other school did, 4 days per week. They were 4 long days but no school on Friday.

I was very reluctant but my GF talked me into it. It turns out Stoneman has all the same classes and more. There is only one class they don't offer. It turned out they were both right and I was wrong. All his study groups are close and Stoneman is the number 2 non magnet school in the county. I also don't have to get up and drive him across the county to the ghetto.

My friend lives in West Boca and his kid got into a charter school that Pitbull of all people is an investor in. You will have plenty of options if he continues on the right path.

SLAM! Boca Raton
Lmao! I was literally just talking about SLAM today because my friend was driving past a Miami Grill and I was like “you know Pitbull owns a large part of them...” and then I told her about the school. She’s like “why do you know so much about Pitbull?” And I said “I read the newspaper.” Then I told her about how awesome the school is and all that he’s put into it for the arts.

I haven’t decided on high schools. I’m sure there will be even more programs available. One of the other middle schools has an engineering magnet, so that’s my second choice. I want to cater to his interests and strong suits and math, science, and engineering are perfect.

Then again, I don’t know if I’ll even be in south Florida when he’s ready.

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
Lmao! I was literally just talking about SLAM today because my friend was driving past a Miami Grill and I was like “you know Pitbull owns a large part of them...” and then I told her about the school. She’s like “why do you know so much about Pitbull?” And I said “I read the newspaper.” Then I told her about how awesome the school is and all that he’s put into it for the arts.

I haven’t decided on high schools. I’m sure there will be even more programs available. One of the other middle schools has an engineering magnet, so that’s my second choice. I want to cater to his interests and strong suits and math, science, and engineering are perfect.

Then again, I don’t know if I’ll even be in south Florida when he’s ready.
There are some really good schools down here as you seem to know. Out east by Lighthouse Point other than Pompano there isn’t anything there. You either have to go private, move or another magnet that has busing. So they are around but you need to do your homework.

Where would you move to if you left?

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
There are some really good schools down here as you seem to know. Out east by Lighthouse Point other than Pompano there isn’t anything there. You either have to go private, move or another magnet that has busing. So they are around but you need to do your homework.

Where would you move to if you left?
I would be moving to Connecticut, if anything. And I don’t know about that.

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
I know a lot of people that claimed they hated it here for various reasons. 90% were back within 3 years. Just sayin
Yeah. But my sister is in Connecticut and my son and my nephew are best friends. They video chat for hours almost daily. I want to be close to her.
The schools there have some awesome programs. My niece is in all these cool classes in high school. Just random shit, like floral arraignment.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
So we can blame the previous generation till the beginning of time? Because maybe we raised snowflakes because of the way we were raised by our parents? And they raised us because the way they were raised?

No. Typical millennial reasoning. Everything is somebody else's fault. That reasoning also ignores the role schools and society plays when a kid grows up.
Who runs schools and shapes society? Not the kids.

So do you think something biologically changed kids, or do you think that kids decided to be soft? Do kids even have that choice?

Every generation is vilified by the generation that comes before it, at least every generation I have knowledge of, and it's usually bullshit spewing from adults who aren't comfortable with the world they grew up in changing. I think kids today get a bad rap. If Facebook existed in the 1970s I would have a bunch of bell bottom fuckboy selfies of my dad. That's just how shit works. Today, though, we have a generation of kids growing up in a super weird time that their parents' generation created, and that same parents' generation loves to complain about how much the kids suck.

Also, to your "everything is somebody else's fault" point, being that you aren't taking responsibility for your perceived shortcomings of the current generation of young people, can't I say the same for you? Aren't you exhibiting "typical millennial reasoning" just the same?

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Who runs schools and shapes society? Not the kids.

So do you think something biologically changed kids, or do you think that kids decided to be soft? Do kids even have that choice?

Every generation is vilified by the generation that comes before it, at least every generation I have knowledge of, and it's usually bullshit spewing from adults who aren't comfortable with the world they grew up in changing. I think kids today get a bad rap. If Facebook existed in the 1970s I would have a bunch of bell bottom fuckboy selfies of my dad. That's just how shit works. Today, though, we have a generation of kids growing up in a super weird time that their parents' generation created, and that same parents' generation loves to complain about how much the kids suck.

Also, to your "everything is somebody else's fault" point, being that you aren't taking responsibility for your perceived shortcomings of the current generation of young people, can't I say the same for you? Aren't you exhibiting "typical millennial reasoning" just the same?
What the fuck are you talking about. This sounds like the first whiny generation to me.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Teacher's unions mostly.

I'd have a higher opinion of the 18-25 demographic if more than 1 in 10 of them showed any level of work ethic.
Because everything comes easy, no winners or losers on sports games, and inclusion, equality of outcome, internet doing everything. Even if you stop all this as a parent, you'd have to lock em up in a cave.

These younger kids can't show up at work on time cause they think a phone makes a good alarm clock. And lots of other dumb things.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
If you stop it all as a parent, you'll end up with a kid constantly in trouble for not being a candy ass.
It starts at school were they hand your kid a tablet or laptop, and they don't even know how to goddamn write. Cant even do homework without wifi. Yeah, that's going to end well.