Lifestyle This was where I used to train my dogs.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
Had the day off, and a few cold beverages, so I went old school this afternoon.

This was my dog's hill. Throw the stick, they run down the hill, jump the creek, run up the other side, grab the stick, run back down, jump the creek again, bring me the stick, get scratched behind the ear. Rinse, wash, repeat for hours on end while smoking a bowl or two, and it always ended up as a good day in the woods. I was surprised that my fire pit had been covered up. Sorry about the monochromaticism of the the pic, but its February in Illinois, I'm lucky its not all white.

The retriever/shepard/mutt mix or whatever she was would get anything I threw. My family and friends thought I was fucking crazy for how I trained these two. One moment I will never forget was at Starved Rock, when the shepard mix, Abby, aka Abs of Steel, was running up walls. Christ do I wish I had video of it. She'd make mountain goats shit themselves. There was a group of school kids there, and a little girl asked me if she was magical. I almost cried, but just said "Yes, she is".

Shit like this:

I don't remember why, but yeah, she was just chilling on a wall.

Abs would get anything I threw. I climbed a mountain with her in Colorado. I chucked a stick off the peak, just fucking launched it, off the top of a mountain. And off she went. This is shortly after finding fresh mountain lion tracks in the snow. She was gone for about 15 minutes. I was just getting high and drinking a mountain dew. But she came back, with the stick, as she always did.

I used to hide a tennis ball, a stick, and a chew toy. Sometimes inside, sometimes in the yard. I could tell her to 'get the stick', and she would. Or 'find the ball', and she would.

The Rott was another story. Sure, she'd get anything I told her to. But everytime, Every. Fucking. Time. She'd run to the stick or whatever I threw, and then she'd turn and look at me.

She was an expressive little rat. And after running down the hill, jumping the creek, running up the other side, without fail, she'd turn and look at me, and make me yell 'get the stick'. I may not speak dog, but the look on her face was clear every time. "When I bring this back, you're just throwing it again? Seriously, that's what's going to happen, isn't it, asshole?" And of course, thats what happened.

I miss my dogs.

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015

One of the few pics I have where her ears were up and she didn't look like a pansy. She was just waiting for me to say 'Seek and destroy'.
(Yes, that was a phrase I actually used for my dogs.) Around the house, you'd think I beat the shit out of her. Once she was in the woods, she owned. I was just walking with her.

Everyone was scared of the Rott. I have no doubt, that if someone were attack me the shepard mix wouldn't have hesitated. The Rott would likely have been waiting for a cookie or a belly rub.

I told this rat "Achtung!'. (Sit and stay, taught the Rott in bastardized German.) one day before I stepped into the shower. After I got out of the shower, shaved, did my hair, I open the door and she was still sitting exactly where I told her to.

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
Yeah. Didn't really think there would be that much dust sitting on a log, tipping back a frosty beverage either.

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
There's a thread somewhere on here regard when I successfully eluded Ohio State Police. That was because of the Rott being a puppy on my passenger seat after I had been kicked out of my home.

I lived out of my car for a few weeks with that dog, since I didn't let my mom know I was getting a Rott. I just showed up and was like look at what I got from xxxxxxx. My mom, as much as she is into rescue dogs, was not pleased.

Spent quite a few nights sleeping in my car at a truck stop on I-80. One night, I lock my keys in the trunk while at the truck stop.

It was scary how fast I found someone who knew how to get them out. Dude asks me what type of car, and I tell him a Cutlass. Dude goes into the back seat, and unhooks it, and there is a large opening behind the rear seat and the trunk. He reaches in, grabs my keys, and when I thought I was totally fucked, some random trucker saved my ass.

Offered him the rest of my 6 pack, he just said that 1 would do. So, I gave the man a beer that night.

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
Just another random story about these beautiful bitches.

Total fucking blizzard. About 2-3 feet of snow everywhere. Chicago isn't Atlanta, we're usually ready for this shit. As always, my dogs are off leash. There is no one, anywhere. Pretty much every one was digging out. Me? I'm on the way to the woods. A cop drives by, goes about 100 yards. Then I see his reverse lights. I'm thinking "God fucking damn it. This fucking pig is going to ticket me for having my dogs off lead"

So I smack my hands together and make a fist, and my dogs asses hit the pavement.

The officer asks "where you headed?"

I respond "Just taking the dogs out to the woods".

Cop looks at me like I am crazy. "You're going to the woods?"

"Yes sir"

Thinks about it for a bit. "OK. Be safe."

I still laugh about that shit. When Ralphie in A Christmas Story says that his parents were looking at him like he had lobsters crawling out of his ears, this was that moment for me. My dogs weren't even walking, they were just jumping forward, and we hadn't even got to the woods yet.

Thats why they were such lethal commando dogs who would go anywhere, do anything, at anytime. It's raining? OK. It's snowing? OK. Hurricane force winds? OK. Lightning, thunder? OK. Hard to find friends like that. There were times when I had to be on the 8:44am train, but I got home at 2am. Said the W word (woods), when they greeted me at the door? I had to take them. So i did.